Speaking of video Rain Forest Benefit MSG

Speaking of video Rain Forest Benefit MSG

Postby gr8fullfred » Sat May 29, 2010 8:42 am

Speaking of video, I attended a show at Madison Square Garden that was called the "Rain Forest Benefit".
This show has many special guests : Hornsby, Jack Cassidy, Mick Taylor, Susan Vega and possibly others.
I am pretty sure that this show was pro shot video. Brent was still alive, and it might be the first time Bruce played with the Dead. Have never seen any video of this show, but I am pretty sure it might exist.

Date 9/24/88
gr8fullfred
Jerry
Jerry

Re: Speaking of video Rain Forest Benefit MSG

Postby willmusic » Sat May 29, 2010 4:56 pm

Went with my mom, I was like 9, and will never forget Hall & Oates!
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Postby Cmnaround » Mon May 31, 2010 7:00 am

Bruce played with the band earlier that summer in buckeye lake Ohio - if I'm not mistaken he also played an accordian at that show - like 2 songs in the first set. First time playing at buckeye - was an awesome east coast summer run all ove the northeast in 1988.
Cmnaround
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Emoto » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:12 am

I was there, too! Remember how the crowd kind of grumbled when they brought out Hall & Oates? :lol:

There was a guy sitting right behind me giving everyone around him whippets during the show. :D
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:15 am

willmusic wrote:Went with my mom, I was like 9, and will never forget Hall & Oates!

Was GE Smith on guitar still for them?
strumminsix

Postby Emoto » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:31 am

strumminsix wrote:
willmusic wrote:Went with my mom, I was like 9, and will never forget Hall & Oates!

Was GE Smith on guitar still for them?

No, the gig was that the Dead was everyone's backing band.
Emoto

Postby jeffm725 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:52 am

gr8fullfred wrote:Speaking of video, I attended a show at Madison Square Garden that was called the "Rain Forest Benefit".
This show has many special guests : Hornsby, Jack Cassidy, Mick Taylor, Susan Vega and possibly others.
I am pretty sure that this show was pro shot video. Brent was still alive, and it might be the first time Bruce played with the Dead. Have never seen any video of this show, but I am pretty sure it might exist.

Date 9/24/88

That was one of the most lackluster dead shows I ever attended. That NYC run set a MSG record at the time for length of run and this was the last night. The boys, and jerry in particular, were toast. Very low energy and the prevailing theory also attributed the flatness to not your typical dead head crowd at MSG. There were a ton of mainstream press and people at the gig (iirc tickets to the last night were sold seprately than the rest of the run and the floor seats were an astronomical price that included a band meet and greet after the show).. so the crowd (which usually pumped the boys up in the garden) was just as flat as the band. I also thought it was a very strange mix of guests, and it didnt really gel with the band. Mick Taylor on Little Red Rooster was good, and Suzanne Vega's cover of the Robyn Hitchcock written "Chinese Bones" was interesting.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby oconnors_35 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:22 am

jeffm725 wrote:
gr8fullfred wrote:Speaking of video, I attended a show at Madison Square Garden that was called the "Rain Forest Benefit".

Date 9/24/88

That was one of the most lackluster dead shows I ever attended. That NYC run set a MSG record at the time for length of run and this was the last night. The boys, and jerry in particular, were toast. Very low energy and the prevailing theory also attributed the flatness to not your typical dead head crowd at MSG. There were a ton of mainstream press and people at the gig (iirc tickets to the last night were sold seprately than the rest of the run and the floor seats were an astronomical price that included a band meet and greet after the show).. so the crowd (which usually pumped the boys up in the garden) was just as flat as the band. I also thought it was a very strange mix of guests, and it didnt really gel with the band. Mick Taylor on Little Red Rooster was good, and Suzanne Vega's cover of the Robyn Hitchcock written "Chinese Bones" was interesting.

Yeah, I had a tape of that show and it was painful to hear Jerry sing.... his voice was totally shot!
SeanO
oconnors_35
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Emoto » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:05 pm

oconnors_35 wrote:
jeffm725 wrote:

Date 9/24/88

Yeah, I had a tape of that show and it was painful to hear Jerry sing.... his voice was totally shot!
SeanO

Yeah, that show kept me from going to see them live again for a couple of years.
Emoto

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion