Greatful Dead 80's concerts on TV

Greatful Dead 80's concerts on TV

Postby SoNasty » Thu May 27, 2010 1:57 pm

The MSG network will be showing the Grateful Dead's 15 shows at Radio City Music Hall from October 1980 and a sneak peek of the newly released show at JFK Stadium this Friday at 9pm. I can't wait to see it, so I thought I'd pass along the information, I've already got my DVR set.

Found the info here: http://www.msg.com/tv/shows/music-fridays/grateful-dead
SoNasty
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Re: Greatful Dead 80's concerts on TV

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Thu May 27, 2010 2:04 pm

They have all 15 shows? That'd be sweet!
Rusty the Scoob

Postby JonnyBoy » Thu May 27, 2010 2:36 pm

The great thing about the dead, for us at least, they and the fans recorded just about everything. I know there is much more video floating around we haven't seen...The Festival Express video's of the early 70's for example? The guy that produced it was the son of the photographer that remembered moving those movie tins from house to house as a child when they moved around. Years later, after his Dad was gone, he discovered the gold mine sitting in the Garage... Some of the best footage of the Band, Janis, and the dead with Pig. The movie production was only a 10th of the footage he actually had too. It blows my mind that festival lost money, but we got the song "Might as Well" out of it.

Thanks for posting, I'll be there.....
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby caspersvapors » Thu May 27, 2010 2:47 pm

holy shit, someone needs to record all these and upload/burn them somehow
caspersvapors

Postby caspersvapors » Thu May 27, 2010 2:51 pm

does comcast have the MSG network? what station is this?

edit: i dont think we get this on the west coast :(
caspersvapors

Postby 1960strat » Thu May 27, 2010 3:00 pm

Have you guys seen this

http://gdvodcast.ning.com/

Pretty awesome, 24 hour streaming dead concert videos.

And just staying on topic... I F'ing love the Blow Away's the boys were doing in the 80's (not like they did the song before or after the 80's or post Brent). Brent on fire and just ripping it. Gives me goosebumps everytime.
He's so high he will probably sell it to us for free.
1960strat
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby mijknahs » Fri May 28, 2010 10:41 am

What it says it that MSG will be celbrating the 30th anniversary of the GD's 15 show run from 1980. It didn't say they will air all 15 shows, did it? Maybe they will just show Dead Ahead?

Jim
mijknahs

Re: GRATEFUL Dead 80's concerts on TV

Postby FretWilkes » Fri May 28, 2010 10:56 am

mijknahs wrote:What it says it that MSG will be celbrating the 30th anniversary of the GD's 15 show run from 1980. It didn't say they will air all 15 shows, did it? Maybe they will just show Dead Ahead?

Jim

I think they are showing some "Dead Ahead" and some "Philly-7/7/89" combined in a 1 hour version and a 2 hour version.
FretWilkes

Postby jeffm725 » Fri May 28, 2010 11:48 am

mijknahs wrote:What it says it that MSG will be celbrating the 30th anniversary of the GD's 15 show run from 1980. It didn't say they will air all 15 shows, did it? Maybe they will just show Dead Ahead?

Jim

I do not believe that all 15 nights of Radio city were shot on Video. I would be surprised if anything besides 10/31 and 10/30 (10/30 was possibly partially shot as a run through for the 10/31 closed circuit shoot). Shooting video is prohibitively expensive. There is not as much video in the GD vault as people think. There is way more video that exists as audience shot (especially from the mid 80's on).

Really the only video in the vault is a byproduct of other needs. Meaning they didnt shoot video for archival purposes. The video they have in the vault is mostly just tapes made from the camera's used at stadium and other outdoor venues for the screens on the side of the stage (which is why much of that video has the rollercoaster effects and all that other trite shit that looks so mickey mouse in Todays day and age).
10/31/80 only exists as it does because they shot that to broadcast as a live simulcast to closed circuit theater locations on 10/31/80.

12/31/85 - was shot because Midnight> on was Broadcast on USA network. 12/31/87 and 6/21/89 were shot as PayPerViews. So they have decent footage of that.

You can count on one hand stuff they have that is of any quality video wise Prior to 1989:
Winterland 74
Halloween 80
Egypt 78
New Years 85
New Years 87

They have exhausted all the stuff prior to 1989 already. That is why all the view from the vaults are later than 89 (exception being the 87 stadium show with Dylan which they had screens up for so they have that tour footage)

Luckily as I said there is a fair amount of mid 80's audience shot stuff out there in fairly decent quality. Even the odd 76-77 show can be had, but it ain't from the Dead's vault.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby mijknahs » Fri May 28, 2010 12:15 pm

What about the NYE 82-83 with Etta James? Wasn't that pro shot for local Bay Area TV?
mijknahs

Postby FretWilkes » Fri May 28, 2010 12:17 pm

jeffm725 wrote:

Jim
You can count on one hand stuff they have that is of any quality video wise Prior to 1989:
Winterland 74
Halloween 80
Egypt 78
New Years 85
New Years 87

Hi Jeff,

You gotta add the New Years 78/79 "Goodbye to Winterland" too.

I would love to see some clear footage of that 1970 show "Calebration" (I think was the name). I don't think pristine footage exists though.
FretWilkes

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri May 28, 2010 12:34 pm

jeffm725 wrote:

Jim

I do not believe that all 15 nights of Radio city were shot on Video. I would be surprised if anything besides 10/31 and 10/30 (10/30 was possibly partially shot as a run through for the 10/31 closed circuit shoot). Shooting video is prohibitively expensive. There is not as much video in the GD vault as people think. There is way more video that exists as audience shot (especially from the mid 80's on).

Really the only video in the vault is a byproduct of other needs. Meaning they didnt shoot video for archival purposes. The video they have in the vault is mostly just tapes made from the camera's used at stadium and other outdoor venues for the screens on the side of the stage (which is why much of that video has the rollercoaster effects and all that other trite shit that looks so mickey mouse in Todays day and age).
10/31/80 only exists as it does because they shot that to broadcast as a live simulcast to closed circuit theater locations on 10/31/80.

12/31/85 - was shot because Midnight> on was Broadcast on USA network. 12/31/87 and 6/21/89 were shot as PayPerViews. So they have decent footage of that.

Winterland 74
Halloween 80
Egypt 78
New Years 85
New Years 87

They have exhausted all the stuff prior to 1989 already. That is why all the view from the vaults are later than 89 (exception being the 87 stadium show with Dylan which they had screens up for so they have that tour footage)

Luckily as I said there is a fair amount of mid 80's audience shot stuff out there in fairly decent quality. Even the odd 76-77 show can be had, but it ain't from the Dead's vault.

Jeff -dont forget Sunshine Daydream and that Germany Show - Rockplast ???? Maybe not from their vault ......
Closing of the Winterland ,too !
Also I believe Two from the Vault is from 87 ....
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby jeffm725 » Fri May 28, 2010 1:09 pm

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
jeffm725 wrote:

Jim

Winterland 74
Halloween 80
Egypt 78
New Years 85
New Years 87

Jeff -dont forget Sunshine Daydream and that Germany Show - Rockplast ???? Maybe not from their vault ......
Closing of the Winterland ,too !
Also I believe Two from the Vault is from 87 ....
:smile:

Gotcha Jedi! :-) I did mention 2 from the vault above, See: "(exception being the 87 stadium show with Dylan which they had screens up for so they have that tour footage)"

Sunshine Daydream is nice to have as a Deadhead but the existing video of the actual show is so woefully incomplete that I dont see how they can possibly release that. (although they released egypt so anything is possible :oops: )

Rockplast is not from their vault, simply a European Broadcast capture.

How did I leave off closing of Winterland ?! :D

Point stands though that even if you added those videos as all release worthy (which they are not) it you still have less than 10 from the 20 year meat of their career! (1970-1990)
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Sat May 29, 2010 8:20 am

Oops -got the wrong Vault # !
Tennessee Jedi

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion