'Seen the new Dead DVD yet?

'Seen the new Dead DVD yet?

Postby Pete B. » Sun May 02, 2010 8:35 am

I picked up the new Grateful Dead Instructional Video "Crimson White and Indigo" this week. 8)
'Been having fun playing along.
Nice camera work and great sound.
Wow, when Jerry's left hand fires off those licks after the word "California" in Estimated, it's like Chuck Norris cocking a 12 guage shotgun with one hand.
Nice.
:smile:
Anyone else seen it yet?
There is a segment on how to correctly apply Finger Ease spray, amongst many other cool GD tidbits.
:wink:
Pete B.

Re: 'Seen the new Dead DVD yet?

Postby Laytonco » Sun May 02, 2010 8:53 am

Hey Pete,
Is this the Philly 89 show? I just watched the trailer an dit looks like a regular show movie. What are the instructional parts like. Looks like a cool DVD.

Peace,

Gil
Laytonco

Postby LazyLightnin » Sun May 02, 2010 10:34 am

saw it in theater. place was almost full. we asked the attendants to turn up the volume - and they did, you could hear everything crystal clear out to the popcorn stand. even the employees came in and watched. folks were dancing all the way up by the screen and applauding after every tune - pretty cool. 8)
LazyLightnin

Postby bodiddley » Sun May 02, 2010 11:49 am

Got mine...good stuff. However, "Downhill from Here" is stIll the best DVD release.
bodiddley

Postby caspersvapors » Sun May 02, 2010 12:25 pm

very good dvd. my only gripe is there is one lick ive been looking to steal from jerry during fire on the mountain but the camera cuts away when he plays it LOL
caspersvapors

Postby bodiddley » Sun May 02, 2010 5:31 pm

caspersvapors wrote:very good dvd. my only gripe is there is one lick ive been looking to steal from jerry during fire on the mountain but the camera cuts away when he plays it LOL

Ya,Sadly, when he hits on that sweet phrasing in the transition and keeps repeating it, the cameras are focused on the drummers. Bummer. I wonder who the Flashdance wannabe chick is by Brents side of the stage who won't shut the hell up. If I was in the band I woulda had her ass tossed from the stage. who knows...maybe a family member or something. Watch, I find out it's Brent's old lady or something.
bodiddley

Postby Pete B. » Mon May 03, 2010 8:40 am

Laytonco wrote:...What are the instructional parts like...

I'm kinda just funnin' on the "Instructional" factor. :wink:
I think of any Dead footage that I can cop a lick from as "Instructional'".

There are at least two Other Ones on Vid where they pan away from Jerry on the lick I want to see... basically those crazy licks that Jerry and Brent trade between later Verse lines. To me the lick sounds kinda like the chase scene in Planet Of The Apes.
Pete B.

Postby jefkahn » Mon May 03, 2010 8:50 am

Loved the DVD. Great camera work all around, excellent sound. A few things I noticed:

1. Jerry really loves going above the 12th fret, especially in Fire.

2. Brent has pictures of his kids on his keys?

3. Phil catches the band's attention before dropping the bomb at the beginning of The Other One.

4. Girl dancing onstage behind Brent is the only person who looks like this show was from the 80s. Everything else is timeless.
...things we've never seen will seem familiar...
jefkahn
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby rugger » Mon May 03, 2010 9:11 am

Are there any of those lame "psychedelic" graphics that take away footage of the band playing? I mean, a rollercoaster? Really? I'm way passed thinking those are even remotely cool. I currently have View from the Vault II and that thing is littered with them--all during the jams I want to cop the licks from! Very annoying.

John in San Diego
rugger
Phil
Phil

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon May 03, 2010 9:20 am

rugger wrote:Are there any of those lame "psychedelic" graphics that take away footage of the band playing? I mean, a rollercoaster? Really? I'm way passed thinking those are even remotely cool. I currently have View from the Vault II and that thing is littered with them--all during the jams I want to cop the licks from! Very annoying.

John in San Diego

Its straight up vid of the band playing
no cheese
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Pete B. » Mon May 03, 2010 9:25 am

I basically found myself feeling like I was standing on stage with the band.
No graphics whatsoever...
I needs my view-able lyrics!
:cool:
Pete B.

Postby sheadgrove » Mon May 10, 2010 7:10 pm

Great video as I was there and now it brings back memories. I really like how Jerry and Brent connect throughout the show. Brent seems wasted at times as he and Jerry look like they are sharing some secret.I saw 77 shows and never really got that close to watching the band play up close. its cool to see the interaction between them.
sheadgrove
welcome
welcome

Postby mttourpro » Mon May 17, 2010 11:38 am

Just watched it this weekend. The band was in pretty good form...thought it was pretty indicative of a solid 89 show. Nothing special setlist wise but they definitely played well on everything---barely a clam to be heard and the energy was there. I remember seeing the Bucket and Aiko as filler on a VHS tape I've had from another show years ago and remembered that they pro-shot a lot of shows, if not all of them back then.....so, I'm wondering why they never put it out til now?? Did they think it wasn't worthy for some reason?

BTW, the Blow Away on that is definitely over-the-top.
http://www.thecausejams.com

let your life proceed by its own design....
mttourpro

Postby jahozer » Mon May 17, 2010 12:45 pm

The dvd is really nice. No graphics or anything. I think the downhill vids are straight from the old screens at the shows and they had the graphics already on them. But hey, roller coasters are still cool, brah...
Its funny that you mention that lick in the transition jam. I was at that show and have been doing that lick ever since! I was doing it one time in the 90s and a guy I was playing with looks at me and goes, "dude! JFK!!!"
Definately worth the dough for the discs. Im a bit spoiled by blu ray, so the resolution on the big screen can be a little low, but the sound is great.
If I were to see that setlist on paper, I would be nonplussed. And when I saw it before I bought the disc, I was thinking, "hmmm, that's odd... I thought I liked this show more. Now I remember why I liked it, and its a great testament that the set-list does not mean much in terms of how cool a show is. Even Rooster is pretty hot, and thats been my pee and beer break song for like 20 years!
Im also glad a skinny version of my self is not on there doing things I probably should not have been doing. Ah, who am I kidding? Id love to see that skinny version of myself again, doing anything!!
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion