A Show of Hands Please

A Show of Hands Please

Postby milobender » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:47 am

I'd like to know... how many of us here actually play GD music out, in the bars, as regular gigging (Tribute band or not?) ... how many here play a mix of GD and other stuff, and how are you received? Thoughts?

Our band, Free Range, mixes it up with half a dozen GD tunes a night, and another half dozen JGB tunes (which don't really count)... and we can never tell: sometimes the Dead tunes go over great, and other times people just sort of stare... :D I love to jam stuff out, and likewise, sometimes it goes over, other times not...
Everything we know is wrong...
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
Jerry
Jerry

Re: A Show of Hands Please

Postby strumminsix » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:17 am

Play out all Dead 2-3x a month!
strumminsix

Postby Grateful Dad » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:27 am

My previous band (we broke up in January) played its share of Dead material. Depending on the gig situation what Dead material we played was a matter of intuition or request and it almost always went over well.
After playing in several cover bands over the last previous years, I find myself wanting to play in two bands: a band that does mostly all Grateful Dead, mixes in some similar genre tunes, and some originals too, and a good cover/original band. I love the Grateful Dead but there are so many other great musical styles out there that it would be personally limiting to only play Grateful Dead music (or any other kind of music) all the time.
Last edited by Grateful Dad on Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Grateful Dad
Phil
Phil

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:09 pm

100% Dead - except sometimes a JGB tune or two. It's great - the bar hired you to play Dead, the crowd expects you to play Dead, so nobody's there to hear Brown Eyed Girl or Freebird.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby deadguise » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:21 pm

the crowd expects you to play Dead, so nobody's there to hear Brown Eyed Girl or Freebird.

We play all Dead (for now) but I still hear calls for Freebird (I think it's always the same guy...)
deadguise

Postby milobender » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:54 pm

Did you get a good look at him? :D We had this guy, while we were playing regularly during the 70's, yelling 'Freebird' at every gig... only I thought he was yelling 'Reverb' :D So, I'd yell back at him 'we got reverb!' After about a month of this, he finally got right up in my face and yelled 'Freebird!" (while we're playing of course) and I finally got it... and we had to learn Freebird as he was now a regular :D
Everything we know is wrong...
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
Jerry
Jerry

Postby Laytonco » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:12 pm

100% Dead - except sometimes a JGB tune or two. It's great - the bar hired you to play Dead, the crowd expects you to play Dead

+1

Peace,

Gil
Laytonco

Postby Staemius » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:55 pm

We (Phuncle Sam) typically play out 2 times per month. We're known as a Dead cover band but often work in some originals and whatever else we feel like playing. %90 Dead right now though.

*and we're at the Town Pump in Black Mountain tonight if anyone is in the Asheville area!
Staemius
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Chuckles » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:54 pm

Mixed sets, but heavy on Dead tunes once or twice a month. As you can see from our band logo, we definitely advertise ourselves as a Dead-related band. In our FB ads, we say "GD and more".
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby Lembic » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:30 am

Our thing also is All Dead All The Time. 2-3 gigs a month, though, I wouldn't mind a couple more. If you like a listen, we have a couple of new additions on our Myspace, give a listen, let me know what you think. Opinions always welcome.

Lembic
Lembic
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby mttourpro » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:04 am

My main band theCAUSE plays about 2-3 times a month and plays about 65-75% GD and mixes in a lot of other stuff (Originals, Beatles, Dylan, blues tunes, Phish, etc) depending on the event/crowd. We've also done gigs with almost all originals when the situation calls for it. We do not bill ourselves as a "tribute" band. FWIW, I constantly hear "play more GD".

Left for Dead, my old band in the 90s, that still plays 3-4 times a year, plays almost all GD with a few "related" tunes (Nevilles, ABB, Traffic and even a FZ tune)--tonight we're playing almost all GD but we'll throw in Low Spark and 2 originals.
We keep more to GD now that we don't get together much and lack practice time.

Fungus is a band I "sit in" with about 2-3 times a month although I do every gig they play....They bill as "GD Tribute" and play almost all GD with a couple related tunes.

From my experience, most folks who come out regularly prefer to hear all GD. Back in the 80s there was a band here called Sandoz who are friends of mine, who still play maybe 2 times a year here---they got signed to Relics Records in the early 90s and put out 3 CDs. I remember thinking they should have stuck more to GD (even though their originals were really great tunes) as it seemed to me they lost a lot of their crowd after a few years of less and less GD and they were all fantastic players. Gots to play to the crowd or you might not have one to play to....
http://www.thecausejams.com

let your life proceed by its own design....
mttourpro

Postby tigerstrat » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:57 am

Ramblin' Rose usually plays as a Dead tribute, but occasionally as a JGB tribute (about 80/20). Once in a blue moon we'll mix a JGB tune in with a GD night, like Jerry's birthday last year. We play out about 1x a month, give or take.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby jerrys.kids » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:47 am

i would stick to what works. if a band starts out 100% dead, then you don't have much wiggle room but for a few choice covers. Most heads usually have a fairly high music IQ to begin with, so if you pull something groovy out of the bag and nail it people will dig it. I know that a few years back there was a dead band in these parts that would change it up and throw in some originals, and i don't think that went over so well. Not that the tunes weren't tight, or catchy or anything like that, but most people that were there wanted to hear the dead. Just don't crap in a bag and try to sell me fertilizer. :shock:
"Mama said, don't go near that river."
jerrys.kids
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby LazyLightnin » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:04 am

My band gigs 2-3 times a month. We mainly do Dead tunes but we also do a few Waits covers, Ween, Dylan and Jeff Beck's "Goin down". i guess if you wanted to get picky we do some of the 'ol country tunes the boys covered, so theres a few more.
LazyLightnin

Postby amyjared » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:12 am

My band, Basement Jelly, is a total cover band, but we play sparse few Dead songs. We play for different audiences and when people are into the Dead, we'll throw in more but our drummer, who is an incredible musician, isn't into the boys.
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Next

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion