Jerry Garcia and the airplane

Re: Jerry Garcia and the airplane

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:15 pm

ELPManticore wrote:Jackr - again, IIRC, (fighting some kind of devil cold over here, can't think right, not that I can to begin with, but things are rough), someone on this board has gone to the camp. Either way, if it was not here then it was somewhere else I was talking to someone about it. They had nothing but good things to say, I'm sure its a great time and a lot to take in.

TJ - I agree, may have even seen pics of Jerry wearing this shirt. Given that it was the late 60's and that he wasn't that rotund yet, he and Jorma may have been sharing clothes. Far fetched but I think it should be considered....

LOL !
Reminds me of Jaco Pastorius .... at a gig he and his guitar guy decided to change into the the others pants..... the old pant switcheroo !
:shock:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby oconnors_35 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:52 pm

jackr wrote:Yorma is one of the best ever no doubt.

I remember however, some years after airplane and after tuna I saw him in the smallest of dive bars in North Jersey. And it was not crowded. I thought to myself "how can there only be 20 people here? Doesnt anyone realize its YORMA?"

Now he does a guitar camp that I would love to attend. I have heard some great things about it.

That would be Jorma's Fur Peace Ranch
http://www.furpeaceranch.com/

SeanO
oconnors_35
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby deadguise » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:27 pm

Jerry was also on Blows Against the Empire (Kantner/Slick project). The Dead would have softball games against the Airplane back in the day, it was a tight community. I once heard a story that Jerry helped Jorma with the solo to White Rabbit...
deadguise

Postby BuddhaG » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:16 pm

Leave it to Jerry to help develop the most commercially successful offerings of the "San Francisco Sound". This man was a truly gifted musician.
a whole new gameball
BuddhaG
Bear
Bear

Postby willmusic » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:04 pm

1) I'm pretty sure from seeing it in pics that Jerry's sweater was black and red striped while Jorma's is red and white. Semantics really, I guess.

2) I'm sure some others here have been, but I also took part in some workshops at Fur Peace Ranch. My favorites were with Jorma (of course), Larry Campbell, and GE Smith who was a guest. Jorma is a warm and friendly guy and is always good for an email or a chat if you can catch him. I'm hoping to go back next year!
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Postby Pete B. » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:29 pm

willmusic wrote:...I also took part in some workshops at Fur Peace Ranch.

Part of my "If Jerry had lived..." fantasy, includes spending a week with him (and a small group of students) for a Jerry G. Workshop at The Fur Peace Ranch.
Pete B.

Postby willmusic » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:14 pm

Pete B. wrote:Part of my "If Jerry had lived..." fantasy, includes spending a week with him (and a small group of students) for a Jerry G. Workshop at The Fur Peace Ranch.

...would be crazy insightful and just plain awesome!!
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Postby Adam Deckard » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:48 am

deadguise wrote:Jerry was also on Blows Against the Empire (Kantner/Slick project). The Dead would have softball games against the Airplane back in the day, it was a tight community. I once heard a story that Jerry helped Jorma with the solo to White Rabbit...

In Rock Skully's book he says that Airplane couldn't get White Rabbit to work out in the studio. He said Jerry went over there and rearranged some things, changed some things, then laid down all the tracks himself and later on Airplane went back and rerecorded them. On the album it lists Jerry as a "spiritual advisor", because dude running the joint didn't wanna call him producer or something like that.
Adam Deckard
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby tcsned » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:10 am

Highballin' wrote:Garcia and Other Dead members are also on Sunfighter, and The Ballad of The Chrome Plated Nun.
Both Canter/Slick....Jefferson Hybrid albums. Two great albums as well. If you like Frisco Freak Rock.

Yep those are great records. My band does a cover of "Sketches of China"

At this point I've done gigs with all of the Airplane guys except Grace and Jack.

I have heard that there was some animosity between Jorma and Jerry - maybe lead guitar player egos :) I opened for Jorma a couple of times in the late 80s/early 90s - he was very cool - showed me a couple of alternate turnarounds for Hesitation Blues. Got some funny parenting advice from Paul :D our female singer/guitar player sang "Other Side of this Life" with them at a show in Lynchburg.

Marty tried to pick our lead singer :shock:

They have been one of my favorite bands for a long time.
tcsned

Postby williamsaut » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:26 pm

Jerry Garcia also has guitar credits on 5 out of 10 songs on David Crosby's "if I Could Only Remember My Name" recorded 5 years after Surrealistic Pillow. Anyone who hasn't heard 'If I Could Only Remember My Name' should check it out. It's a nice window into what must have been the tail end of the legitimate 60's music scene recorded in '71. But talking about Airplane, I've always loved the shear power of that band mostly generated by Jorma and Jack Cassidy. Crown of Creation is such a powerful tune. Like a great Bucket or those Trombone blasts in 'A Day in the Life' of the Beatles Sgt Pepper's album. It's just THE POWER MAN!!
When the secrets all are told,
And the petals all unfold.
williamsaut
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby tcsned » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:41 am

williamsaut wrote:Jerry Garcia also has guitar credits on 5 out of 10 songs on David Crosby's "if I Could Only Remember My Name" recorded 5 years after Surrealistic Pillow. Anyone who hasn't heard 'If I Could Only Remember My Name' should check it out. It's a nice window into what must have been the tail end of the legitimate 60's music scene recorded in '71.

that's a great one too, "Cowboy Movie" is a cool tune
tcsned

Postby rkubik » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:17 pm

deadguise wrote:Jerry was also on Blows Against the Empire (Kantner/Slick project). The Dead would have softball games against the Airplane back in the day, it was a tight community. I once heard a story that Jerry helped Jorma with the solo to White Rabbit...

From what I read (cannot remember the source) Jerry did not just help Jorma write the solo for White Rabbit he wrote a lot of it himself. Jerry was very integral on Surrealistic Pillow and the band wanted to give him producing credits but the record company said no.
rkubik
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:33 pm

Tennessee Jedi

Postby amyjared » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:53 pm

I remember reading that Jerry gave the JA the music to "Comin' Back to Me", which is a beautiful song. I always played it in open E, and assumed it was written in that but I bought a JA tab book and they have it in standard tuning. I think it sounds better in Open E, but don't know which way Jer showed them it in.
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion