Worst/Best/Funniest GD Train Wrecks?

Re: Worst/Best/Funniest GD Train Wrecks?

Postby Maybeck09 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:10 pm

kennybones- just a date thing. Coma was in '86. Was in Colorado and all set for the summer RedRocks event-friends out from East coast and all, only Jer goes down. Was able to catch Weir in Vail with Kingfish and only about 200 other people so that helped a lot. Anyway, Summer 85 awesome! Coma '86.
Maybeck09
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby maximinus » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:12 am

frankielee wrote:Think it was in 69 at Fillmore East-Pigpen singing Hey Jude- absolutlely a freakin' disaster.

If I recall (from the CD, obviously 8) ) it began as an audience request, then there's some band chat where they decide to give it a go.

It's awful, but it does improve a little towards the end.
Science is open source religion
maximinus
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby Grateful Ed65 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:03 am

I'm posting this story here even though it is a " outside the box" answer to the question that was asked. I have a friend that I attended many a show with in the 80,s who insisted that the drums/space portion of each show was the soundtrack of a popular movie. I would agree with him but could always convince him that it was more fun to wander around the venue with the other heads than watch a drum solo/space jam. I told him he was right even though I always thought he was nuts. Until, I went to visit another friend in D.C. and saw a show at R.F.K. Stadium. I'm not sure of the date (late 80,s I think) but after a drums/space jam that sounded and thanks to smoke machines looked like a actual train wreck, a single spot light appeared midstage out of the darkness pointed toward the audience. Out stepped Micky Hart with a chest wore device which sounded 3 toots of a train whistle right before the band launched into Casey Jones. I thought to myself holy sh*t , "The Greatest Show On Earth" , the old Chuck Heston/ Jimmy Steward flic with the train wreck at the end. I shook my head in disbelieve as I realized my old buddy was right. Unfortunately he was not there and the friends who were have no memory of what I witnessed. They blame the vitamin A we took for my memory as I do for their lack of it.
We were on the first mezz accross from the stage and I'll never forget how the floor was shaking as we all boggied.

If anyone was there who can cooperate my memory, please do.
Or let me know that I'm on the wrong track and headed for you.
Grateful Ed65
welcome
welcome

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:43 pm

Here Comes Sunshine 11-14-73
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby waldo041 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:11 pm

tigerstrat wrote:Here Comes Sunshine 11-14-73

birthday show! :lol: :cool:

here is one i found from Jim Shank's youtube page.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby ebick » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:40 pm

frankielee wrote:Think it was in 69 at Fillmore East-Pigpen singing Hey Jude- absolutlely a freakin' disaster.

So, I remember this McCartney interview where he was talking about how he would listen to the words people would sing when they covered his tunes, and he would note changes, sometimes subtle, sometimes not, and consider how much it changed the meaning of the song. So of course, that had me listening for the same.

One has to wonder whether or not Pig ever actually knew the words to this one......the most notable head-scratcher is the famous line

"the movement you need is on your shoulders" (for anyone who doesn't know,it's "famous" because of how Paul indicated to John that it was a place holder line, that he put in when he couldn't think of another. Paul told him that he would think of a better line. John replied that it was the best line the song, and told him not to change it.)

Pig sings...."the moment she leans upon your shoulder"

Ummmm.....ok.
Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
ebick

Postby tcsned » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:08 pm

waldo041 wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:Here Comes Sunshine 11-14-73

birthday show! :lol: :cool:

peace,
waldo

that one was a classic, still that run at the Rocks in '85 ranks right up there with the best run of shows I saw, I remember a funny moment in Fire where Jerry couldn't remember the second verse for a long while. Great fun at the Chief Hosa campground (I think that was the name) too :D
tcsned

Postby bodiddley » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:58 pm

Stevo123 wrote:Lol I just listened to the dancin' from 5-8-77 where Bobby comes in on the verse line too early while everybody else is still singin the intro part. The crowd went nuts over it lol.

Bobby fuckered up that intro more than a few times.
bodiddley

Postby mijknahs » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:03 am

waldo041 wrote:

peace,
waldo

Seems like Brokedown got screwed up a few times.

I am appalled at this version of Why Don't We Do It In The Road from BCT '84. It goes to crap in the first jam and then Jer changes the structure for the second verse and the rest of the song is permanently messed up. I'm sure they were glad when that was over. I sure was.

http://ia600209.us.archive.org/4/items/ ... 03_vbr.mp3

Jim
mijknahs

Postby jeffm725 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:02 am

If you want to get technical, pretty much every show in 95 had terrible trainwrecks due to jerrys condition.

Go take a listen to the wharf rat on 6/19/95

Jerry could not find the tempo to save his life and it was 5 minutes of agony in the crowd watching him try and get it. Bobby tries to take over and help him get there and Jer still cant get it right. The whole stadium deflated watching him try and get it:

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1995-0 ... 213.flac16

it almost sounds like he is trying throwin stones sometimes....

after a painful 4 minute intro the band finally puts something together and it is fast and loose and Jerrys vocal phrasing is all over the place.
Unfortunately these breakdowns were all too common in 1995.

They finally pull it together (sort of) at the "But I'll get back on my feet..."
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby Maybeck09 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:12 am

That Red Rocks '85 is great. I was at that show, first day of 3 killer shows, including my all time best, 9/7/85. My guess is that they would enjoy something between 2set end and encore. At least Jer would and then have a hard time remembering Brokedown. I actually liked this moment, my first show out west, as it showed a more intimate side of the band that I hadn't seen at big East Coast arena shows.
Maybeck09
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby tcsned » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:50 am

Maybeck09 wrote:That Red Rocks '85 is great. I was at that show, first day of 3 killer shows, including my all time best, 9/7/85. My guess is that they would enjoy something between 2set end and encore. At least Jer would and then have a hard time remembering Brokedown. I actually liked this moment, my first show out west, as it showed a more intimate side of the band that I hadn't seen at big East Coast arena shows.

Right on! Those were my first shows west of the Mississippi too. 9/7 was indeed a classic show!

One of the things I love about GD shows was that a little train wreck like that doesn't ruin the whole show. It's not about perfection it's about taking the chance to be great. :cool:
tcsned

Postby mijknahs » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:32 am

Yeah, they were still on fire in '85.

'95 is another story...
mijknahs

Postby tcsned » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:48 am

mijknahs wrote:Yeah, they were still on fire in '85.

'95 is another story...

true, I don't think that there was much that was funny about the '95 train wrecks . . . train wrecks prior to 91-92 on the other hand - hilarious!
tcsned

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:53 am

jeffm725 wrote:If you want to get technical, pretty much every show in 95 had terrible trainwrecks due to jerrys condition.

Agreed that year was just one gigantic train wreck. The only way that this thread survives with a shred of integrity is if we never mention 1995.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion