memorizing the fretboard

memorizing the fretboard

Postby HOWEYMAN » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:21 pm

I am in the midst of trying to burn the note locations of the guitar into my brain. I have about half memorized fairly well. I know I need to just sit down and practice finding each note of every scale up and down the fret board, which I have been doing (of course I loose concentration and start jamming and don't stay focused, but thats my own fault, lolo,) anyways, I was searching out for imput on memorizing the fretboard and techniques to know where I am at when playing. I know the step patterns already and such. I am now just trying to burn it into my brain. Any suggestions out there for when I am actually concetrating. I can point out any note on the guitar, with a second or two thought, or using a note location I have burned already, but that is not much use when your trying to play a tune or solo. I'm just looking for something else to go with practice, practice, practice. peace :-)
HOWEYMAN
HOWEYMAN
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:17 pm

I say it is better to memorize the relationship between notes rather than just the notes.

A good way to do this is to play scales and say the note you are playing.

To my fault, I just have the roots memorized and then memorized the roots fret relationships to the strings up and down from it.
strumminsix

Postby Billbbill » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:38 pm

I've got a post in the he's gone section that deals with Jerry's end blues jam where he'd sing and play the notes. Playing and singing/saying the notes is the best way to internalize intervals.

You can also try playing and singing the notes of a particular songs melody.
Billbbill

Postby spilly » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:55 pm

that what i was talking about in my recent "mode use" post. I was taught the modes as a mean to memorize the neck.
run the basic mode possitions, as you run them think about what notes your playing. you'll eventually just know what every note is
spilly
Bear
Bear

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion