Allman Brothers

Allman Brothers

Postby spilly » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:47 am

I've been a Deadhead for many years now, but I've always found myself leaning more tword the Allman Brothers on occation.
while the Dead may be the greatest jam band of all time. I feel the best duel guitar work ever created was the work of the brothers. Duane's unique slide technique deffinatly puts him up there with the all time greats, and the new line up is taking the idea to even higher places. I love playing dead tunes, but that's more of a you play chords I'll play lead type thing, The Allman brothers didn't have a rythem guitar, and their melodic harmonies are much farther advanced because of it. When I'm playing with another talented guitar player I deffinatly prefer to play some jessica or Liz Reed (which when I play it tends to find it's way into Darkstar and back).
So thats what was on my mind. I like to here what you guys think on the subject.

If you don't get what you want sometimes then you wont, leave your mind alone and just get high.
spilly
Bear
Bear

Postby ebick » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:54 am

You need to listen more closely to Bob. Put on a pair of headphones and listen to Good Morning Little School Girl from the first album.

Bob's not just playing chords. It's certainly not a duel lead situation like the Brothers (who I also enjoy very much), but Bob is not just a spring board for Jerry.
ebick

Postby spilly » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:59 am

I've been studing Bob for years, his voicing styles completly unique, and fantastic. His early work on song like schoolgirl is fantastic, but i find it to be based around arrpegios with ornaments. I find his best work in the blues department is found on early versions of Smokestack lightning.
spilly
Bear
Bear

Postby amyjared » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:49 pm

Bobby's an amazing guitar player, much more than a simple rythym player. His choice of chord voicings and his decisions of what to play and when are just about the best there is. That being said, I, too often find myself gyrating toward the Allman bros. I saw 400+ deadshows, but when I play music, I like the difficulty of the Allman's stuff. I also just saw the Last Waltz again and always marvel at the talent of The Band. More singers than the dead, able to play more instruments, and the songs are also complicated. Just try strumming an acoustic guitar and playingthe songs. Sure, you can play the Weight and Up on cripple creek and Night they drove dixie down, but some of the others are very intricate and require several talented people to replicate. I don't usually compare these bands to the dead, but just enjoy them in the same vein. Keep your ears open and your mind doubley so! -amyjared
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby Shaggy » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:59 am

I'm a big fan of the Allman Brothers, certainly the early line-up was as good as the dead in terms of instrumental ability and ability to jam on long and often complicated pieces. I think the Dead beat them in terms of original compositions and all round varity. Same goes for the Band, I think Robbie Robertson is wonderful musician.
Shaggy

Postby Guestie » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:36 pm

Kenny talks about Allman Brothers briefly under
the wonder why thread in the Think tank.

just being helpful.........
Guestie

Allman Brothers

Postby phreaker » Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:59 pm

I'm going to say the same thing everyone else is saying, about Bob being a litte under-rated when it comes to rhythem. See, he was labeled rhythem, because he so rarely had a solo. But Bobby himself, in an interview said he tries to move everything up the fretboard, like in China Cat. But I can see what you're saying about the Allman Bros. Great musicians, but people overlook Bobby too often.
phreaker

Postby spilly » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:30 pm

the intention of starting this thread was not a comparison. Bob Weir is fantastic and he is underated. I just wanted to talk about a different band because the Grateful Dead aren't the only musicians I revere. I just kinda thought it might be cool to disscuse the different ways people like to play Liz Reed and the Mountain Jam and such.
In no way did I mean to diminish bobs playing. I actually think (in my own HUMBLE opinion) that Duane Allman could tear Jerry Garcia apart any day of the week. The Dead are far more musically vesital, but when it comes to playing the guitar, i simply feel the brothers are top dog. No offense inteded twords anybody, that's just how i feel, after all these years my mind can't be changed.
I was just wonderingif anybody would simply like to discuse the complexities of a different band for the course of one thread

Bob Weir is a great player though, and so is jerry (Please don't jump down my throat for these remarks, i just feel you guys misread me)
spilly
Bear
Bear

dsafghj

Postby mike098765 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:51 pm

i agree, duane was awesome. but its like comparing gold & glass bottlenecks... well...

all i know, my tapes of the Dead & the allman brothers (duane) are some of the best. they both played differently.
mike098765

Postby Shaggy » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:41 am

spilly wrote:the intention of starting this thread was not a comparison. Bob Weir is fantastic and he is underated. I just wanted to talk about a different band because the Grateful Dead aren't the only musicians I revere. I just kinda thought it might be cool to disscuse the different ways people like to play Liz Reed and the Mountain Jam and such.
In no way did I mean to diminish bobs playing. I actually think (in my own HUMBLE opinion) that Duane Allman could tear Jerry Garcia apart any day of the week. The Dead are far more musically vesital, but when it comes to playing the guitar, i simply feel the brothers are top dog. No offense inteded twords anybody, that's just how i feel, after all these years my mind can't be changed.
I was just wonderingif anybody would simply like to discuse the complexities of a different band for the course of one thread

Bob Weir is a great player though, and so is jerry (Please don't jump down my throat for these remarks, i just feel you guys misread me)

With all due respect you cannot compare. Duane had a style of his own and so did Jerry, both had differing qualities, both could do things and excel in styles the other wouldn't be able to. I think Jerry was a more all round player, a better composer but then Duane didn't even reach his prime before he died. So sad...
Shaggy

Postby Shaggy » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:48 pm

Great, great post Kenny. :cool:
Shaggy

Postby spilly » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:12 pm

I seen Dickey last year and he was incredible. I love dickey, Two fo his instrumentals inspired me to start playing. I don't feel bad for his plight though. He put himself where he is now. Alcohol mixed with an atitude will do that to a guy. Great men fall hard.

as for the rest of the boys. Dereks nephew has really invigorated the band over the last few years, he's really coming into his own as a slide virtuoso and seeing the brothers now i can't help think that the right dicision was made.

long live Dickey Betts and everything he did to enrigh my life with his heartwaqrming duel harmonies

Much Love
spilly
Bear
Bear

Check out Highway Call by Richard Betts

Postby Fenian Dead Head » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:22 am

For any and all Brothers and Betts fans out there, you MUST check out "Highway Call," an awesome album released by Richard Betts(prior to joining brothers, I believe). Great guitar solos! Check out "Rain," can you hear a bit of "Jessica"?

Also, album features performances by other great musicians including Chuck Levell (sp?) and my alltime favorite fiddle player Vasser Clements (do you believe like I do that Charlie Daniels ripped off "devil went down to georgia" fiddle riff from Clements?) Check out "Old in the Way" "breakdown" and "high lonesome sound" for awesome fiddle jams!

As for comparing JG and DA, Jerry could play slide but could Duane play Banjo? No doubt, both were awesome and so different it is hard to compare (got to love 'em both if you love guitar like I do!)

peace, FDH (2 posts on my first day!)
Fenian Dead Head
welcome
welcome

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion