Rocking the Cradle DVD

Rocking the Cradle DVD

Postby deadguise » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:21 pm

I bought this package mainly for the DVD. Any quality footage of the boys is great to watch but it must have been the heat or the local dope or what but talk about an off night...some tracks are good and the band looks like they're enjoying themselves. I like the scene where Phil tries to wake Keith from his coma...
deadguise

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:26 pm

Is it good for stealing licks ?
Tennessee Jedi

Postby deadguise » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:38 pm

I think the Grateful Dead movie and the Rockpalast videos are best at catching riffs...
deadguise

Postby Dozin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:55 pm

Tennessee Jedi wrote:Is it good for stealing licks ?

Awesome

Check it out http://www.dead.net/bertha?cmpid=egypt78&ref=2
I'm using almost Bobby's exact rig here
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Re: Rocking the Cradle DVD

Postby Emoto » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:42 pm

deadguise wrote:I bought this package mainly for the DVD. Any quality footage of the boys is great to watch but it must have been the heat or the local dope or what but talk about an off night...some tracks are good and the band looks like they're enjoying themselves. I like the scene where Phil tries to wake Keith from his coma...

"An off night" has been the general consensus about the whole Egypt trip since it happened. I had cassettes of some of it within months of it happening (which was amazing in pre-internet days for someone with no connection to the band) and even in those days of being starved for live recordings of the Dead, I didn't listen to it much. Still, there are good moments, and I don't want to sound like I am putting them down because I'm not, but in terms of playing only, the Egypt shows will never be counted as their best shows. I suspect that the decision to release these shows has more to do with what the marketing people thought would sell than any thought of putting out their best music.
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby ELPManticore » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:52 am

Haven't had time to check out the DVD (or the album yet really, waiting for the weekend to listen to it the whole way through).

BUT....

Anyone want to start a pool on how long those pop-up pryamids and sphinx last?
-Peace,

Dan
ELPManticore
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby bodiddley » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:28 pm

I am less than pleased with this thing. Lots of fade ins and outs, horrible out of focus camera work that looks like it was done by a high school kid tripping his balls off. Haven't got through it all yet. I got the Road Trips package along with it and some of that is very good (The Other One!)and some...meh. Thought we might get an uncut Stella from 10-21, No Dice. This release seems like it has a few aud. patches and/or severe tape damage. At least I got a cool shirt.

Give me a crisp '89-'90 show on DVD anyday.
bodiddley

Postby CaptainTrips » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:46 am

Dozin wrote:

Awesome

OK, I love Jerry as much as anyone but does he really have his hair in pigtails? :shock:

Thats worse than any short shorts from Rockstar Bob.
CaptainTrips

Postby frankielee » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:10 pm

CaptainTrips wrote:
Dozin wrote:

Awesome

OK, I love Jerry as much as anyone but does he really have his hair in pigtails? :shock:

Thats worse than any short shorts from Rockstar Bob.
Actually Jerry had that look going off and on since late 60s...The photo on the back of Anthem(the album!) he has pigtails. Also during Old and in the Way there are photos of him w/pigtails. How about one handed Billy w/a towel on his head. Musta been hotter then hell there.
"Don't go mistaking paradise for that home across the road."
frankielee
Jerry
Jerry

Postby Dozin » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:04 am

right jerry wore pigs frequently. I don't know if it's as bad as the cut off jean shorts. However, even short cut off jean shorts were the times back then.

I like how Bob's counting off the jam in this clip
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby CaptainTrips » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:04 pm

Well Ill be damned. But now that I think of it I can remember it from Old and in the Way.
CaptainTrips

Postby Django » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:22 pm

I had a poster with Jerry in the pigtails, Bob with either 335 or Red SG/Les Paul (I'm fuzzy) and Phil w/big brown, reversed on stage. I had similar hair in the mid 70s and I wore it like that occasionally, after Jerry.
Django
Bobby
Bobby

Postby b weird » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:33 pm

I also have the same poster, looking at it as I type. The pic was from 6-10-73 (Can't remember the venue but the Allmans guested with the boys).
Bobby's got a SG, Phil's a floppy hat, and a stealie shirt on with Big Brown, and Jerry's got his hair in pigtails with Alligator.

In response to the subject on the DVD, I was thinking about purchasing the CD/DVD pack, but the clip of Bertha is kinda lame, so IDK. I WILL buy Road Trips Vol, 4 though.
b weird

Postby CaptainTrips » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:08 pm

Yeah, I wasnt too impressed with that Bertha either.
CaptainTrips

Postby prephippie » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:25 pm

IMO, the first two nights of the Egypt run were not that great, but the third night is pretty good. A nice Fire and a pretty good Candyman.

Hey bodiddley (heh), how does the video quality compare with The Closing of Winterland?
"Play yo guitar."
-Pigpen 8/6/71
prephippie
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Next

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion