Has it been 10 years already?

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:40 pm

ya know, i've been listen to jerry all my life, my earliest memories are of me and my dad in his old jeep blastin old tapes of the grateful dead, and jerry garcia. funny thing is i never really appreciated jerry untill after he died. the grateful dead used to be "dad music" and all of the sudden all of the garbage i used to listen to is gone, all i can take in is jerry and the dead and i cant get enough of it.

thank you jerry, for all those old memories that bring me back to a simpler life. your music is all that matters anymore, and it will never be forgotten.

Postby Jeff » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:29 pm

Ten years....and I'd still give back all the rest of rock and roll put together to keep the music you made. Even reading the comments and lyric quotes makes me see new things in the words and music. Same as any other day....

Fare thee well, fare thee well, we love you more than words can tell....
Jeff

Postby mike » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:55 pm

If my words did glow
With the gold of sunshine
And my tunes, were played
On the harp, unstrung

Would ya hear my voice
Come through the music?
Would ya hold it near
As it were your own

Ive certainly held your words near. Im 16 and my whole life I've been listening to Grateful Dead because my dad did (and still does.) I never really started listening on my own though until about 2 years ago. And your music has honestly changed how i think about everything. You inspired me to pursue learning guitar and nothing makes me happier or more at ease then when i play one of your songs. I miss you a lot and wish i could've seen you in concert at least once. R.I.P... I never met you but i feel like i know you.

Faring thee well now, let your life proceed by its own design..
Nothin to tell now, let the words be yours i am done with mine...
mike

10 Years After

Postby HippieChick » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:31 pm

Found this on the net

"From the corner of my eye, I saw the sun explode.
I didn't look directly 'cause it would have burned my soul.
When the smoke and thunder cleared enough to look around
I heard a sweet guitar lick, an old familiar sound.
(I) heard a laugh I recognized, come rolling from the earth.
Saw it rise into the skies, like lightning giving birth
It sounded like Garcia, but I couldn't see the face.
Just the beard, and the glasses,
and a smile on empty space."

Robert Hunter

Peace all :D
HippieChick

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:07 am

i never do these but...

i remember waking up and turning on the radio (yes, i was in my early 20's and didn't have a stereo)...

a GD song came on, I was like, cool... then another one came on, I thought 'block party lunch'(i was a bartender and slept late)... got in the shower, got out.. and another GD song was on, then I thought, 'oh, shit.' sure enough... :cry:

Re: hesgone

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:44 pm

fish wrote:all the years combined they melt into a dream...I NEVER LAUGHED AS HARD ,DANCED AS HARD, LOVED OR LISTENED AS HARD,WAS AS MYSTIFIED OR AMAZED AND INSPIRED THAN AT A DEAD SHOW!!!GFD NFA

Postby HOWEYMAN » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:10 am

Who's gonna fill their shoes?
The answer to that is easy...no one.
There a lot of other bands a lot like other bands, but there will never ever be a band like The Grateful Dead ever again. Not ever again.
I will always be thankful that I was introduced.
They were more than a rock-n-roll band to me (like so many others, of course). They were The Grateful Dead. The beginning and the end for me. If it wasn't for The Grateful Dead, I simply would not be the music conisuer (I think I spelled it correctly) I am today. They were the portal that opened my ears, mind and heart to it all.
HOWEYMAN
HOWEYMAN
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby spilly » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:49 pm

at the memorial our good buudy Phil said "He's done becoming, he finally became."
this registered with me something fierce.
I'd like to say thanks for becoming for all of us to see. thanks for pointing us in a direction far greater than originally intended. thankyou for the love you shared with us.

in return I will continue to do my part. I will take what you have given me and expand on it, i will share it with others and let it grow.
spilly
Bear
Bear

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:22 pm

i cried and cried and cried as at the moment I found out about Jerry as at the moment i recieved the call i had been blasting Standing on the Moon and having one of *those* moments with that song.

since then I have voraciously pursued the jam scene to find that Jerry Lives and I hear him not only in every guitarist or any band member, but in every soul I encounter on the path.

"A lovely view of heaven, but I'd rather be with you . . "

dead fans are the best ever,

Postby jck_strw » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:01 am

Do you remember which SoTM you were listening to by chance?
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby Billbbill » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:57 pm

This isn't gonna help you any Jack but I have (I think a cassette recording) a copy of one from the dead head hour where jg is just screaching on the "be with you" part. Goose bump city. I'll see if I have where they say where the show is from recorded on the tape if you're interested.
Billbbill

Postby jck_strw » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:09 pm

Much appreciated Bill. I'm always on the lookout for recommendations for Jerry ballads.
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby Billbbill » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:05 pm

It's from Oakland Col. 12/28/91. Here's an aud link from archive.org

http://www.archive.org/download/gd91-12 ... 3_64kb.mp3
Billbbill

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion