1970's albums you would like to recommend

1970's albums you would like to recommend

Postby Kenny » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:51 pm

red
Last edited by Kenny on Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby jck_strw » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:54 am

Good topic.

I'll nominate the following:

Allman Brothers Band - Eat A Peach
A classic. This was released as a double album set and it's worth ever inch of vinyl. Ain't Wastin' Time, Les Brers, Melissa, Blue Sky, Little Martha--all classic, stand-the-test-of-time cuts. The Mountain Jam extends over 30+ minutes. Blues driving, slide playing electric guitar super goodness. Duane definitely knew his way around a fretboard.

Townes Van Zandt - Live at the Old Quarter
A great songwriter, but relatively unknown by most people. This is a great album for it's song selection, Townes stage banter and a great intimacy. Townes is a pretty good finger picker, but he's got a voice like Bob Dylan. You'll either hate it or tolerate it. :)

Jorma Kaukonen - Quah
An awesome album by Jorma. This album came out in 74, when he was known more for his Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna personas. A lot of the cuts from this album made it into Hot Tuna staples. Great acoustic, fingerstyle blues guitar work.

Hot Tuna - Burgers
The best Hot Tuna studio album (the best Hot Tuna album[s] are the Live at the Sweetwater discs [take note of Bob Weir singing Good Morning Little Schoolgirl on Live at the Sweetwater Disc 2--fantastical]). This disc is one of the few albums I own where every track is great. There's no skipping on this disc. Jorma rips off another psychedlic, bluegrass twinged acoustic number (similar to Embryonic Journey from Surrealistic Pillow) with the Water Song. Several songs are classic, Reverend Gary Davis blues numbers that Hot Tuna has become known for.
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby jck_strw » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:28 pm

I like this game. :^)

Here's another that I shouldn't have left off the original list.

Robert Palmer - Sneakin' Sally Through The Alley
Forget his 80s poppy crap (Addicted to Love, Simply Irrestible, etc. and those scary looking androgynous women). This album from 1974 is simply incredible. Backed by Little Feat, this jazzy, funkadelic album is packed to the gills with awesome Robert Palmer vocals with Little Feat as the perfect complement to his vocals. If you've never heard this album and you wince slightly at the mention of Robert Palmer, drop your preconceived notions and give this album a spin. You won't regret it.
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby jhc » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:08 pm

Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street.
(My choice for favorite album ever.)

Van Morrison - Moondance
(Title song is a little cheesy for my tastes, but the rest is spectacular)
jhc
Keith
Keith

Postby ebick » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:50 pm

The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads
ebick

Postby saint421 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:57 pm

Pink Floyd - Animals - 1973
no doubt one of the best they made. beyond the whole "concept album" groove they had going, the 3 middle songs, Dogs, Pigs and Sheep, are some of the most rockin, groove to songs of its time. to be compared with the dead and allmans only perhaps.
saint421
bruce
bruce

70's

Postby LazyLightnin » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:27 pm

Ted Nugent -Tooth, Fang, and Claw

this is the only Nugent album ive gotten into. some awsum instrumentals, and gr8 tunes dealing w/ nature, the enviroment, etc.....a true mountain man. nevermind his rep as you might know him. this album will change your perception of Ted. nothing to heavy on it, not alot of shreading, but just wonderful melodies and tones. you may have heard "Great White Buffalo" one of his small hits, its a great song to jam too. trust me on this...this album will blow you away.

That Nazereth album is awsum also.

King Crimson is good.
Brian Eno , cant forget the master
too much reggae to list.....
The Clash -self titled

too many too list

_Lazy
LazyLightnin

ill check it out

Postby LazyLightnin » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:49 pm

ill check that out Ken. does anyone know what album his song "journey to the center of the mind" is on? or is it a just a single?

-Lazy

"This human form that i was born i now repent..caribou!"
LazyLightnin

10 worst album covers..

Postby phpbb » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:12 pm

Slightly off topic, but funny none the less....

http://porktornado.diaryland.com/albumcover.html
phpbb

Postby ebick » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:31 pm

That's great.....a bunch of old men....Let Me Touch Him....

How did William Shatner's album not make that list?
ebick

iggy pop

Postby LazyLightnin » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:11 pm

I really dig the first 3 albums by Iggy and The Stooges. The first 2 are really groovy, and the third just rocks, it was Bowie produced.

Iggy and The Stooges albums:

Self-titled 1969
Funhouse 1970
Raw Power 1972 or 73 cant remember

-Lazy

"Gotta pay yer dues if ya wanna sing the blues and you know it dont come easy"
LazyLightnin

Postby 7700 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:21 am

Dark Side of the Moon... I know, everybody says that but I can't think of a more perfect album. I think it was David Grool (Foo Fighters) who said... "Some day someone will come out with the perfect album and it will still pale in comparison to Dark Side.."
Any Steely Dan... Zep 4
rukind?
rukind?

Postby settledowneasy91 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:09 pm

The Band-Stage Fright, One of their better albums, though a little underrated I feel. the whole album smokes, one of my favorites from one of the best bands of all time

New Riders-Powerglide, kinda hard to find, in my opinion their best album, contract is just about the most beautiful song in the world.

Baron Von Tollbooth and the Chrome Nun-Paul Katner, Grace Slick, David Freiberg, and many others, definatley overlooked,i feel this is one of the best bay area efforts ever. Garcia kicks ass on banjo and pedal steel and the album is just full of other great musicians

Quicksilver-Shady Grove- i think this came out in the seventies, but who the hell knows? :smile:
settledowneasy91
Keith
Keith

Postby Shaggy » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:39 pm

Hey, I'm with you on Tapestry. I think it's a great album! 8)
Shaggy

Postby ebick » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:31 pm

Tapestry is an outstanding album.
ebick

Next

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion