Put Tapes on C D ?

Put Tapes on C D ?

Postby Kenny » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:44 am

red
Last edited by Kenny on Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby jahozer » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:59 pm

You can burn them to cd just go into your line in. But to be honest, why would you? If you have a high speed modem, most of them are out there and probably of superior quality than your analog tapes. I know you are emotionally attached to them, but really it is not worth it. Check out
http://www.archive.org
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby jahozer » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:00 pm

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby ebick » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:56 pm

Well, to burn your tapes onto a CD, you'll most likely need access to a computer, and a tape deck with patch cables with a converter from 2 RCA (right & left) to a single mini stereo jack.

Is that a problem?
ebick

Postby hirsh39 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:51 am

I really benifit from this idea, because i've got tons of dead tapes, and despite what's out there on the internet, I'd still rather have my tapes on my computer to CD.
I own a computer, with a burner, and a stereo with two tape decks (the kind used to mix one tape from another) could someone please explain to what if any equipment i need to buy in order to do this, and how to do it.
thank you
hirsh39
bruce
bruce

Postby ebick » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:33 am

You need a piece of sound editing software.

I use a program called Cool Edit 2000. It was written by a company called Syntrillium, and this "smaller" version of their "studio" product came cheap at $30. That was of course, several years ago. They were since bought out by Adobe and the product is called Audition. The bad news is that they seem to have dropped the smaller version, as audition retails for $170. :?

I think programs like EZCD Creator and Nero offer some kind of sound aquisition/editing tools. Bottom line, you need to aquire sound from your external device (tape deck) onto your PC and be able to save it into a known file format, preferably .WAV

Search around out there and I'm sure you'll find something comparable to Cool Edit 2000. Once you get there, we can resume the lesson. If you have a real tough time finding an alternative, let me know that as well.
ebick

Postby Cosmic C » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:14 pm

Its amazing, I was just thinking about that yesterday, how to get some tapes to cd's. Not so mouch the dead stuff b/c most is out there but other rarities.

Just goes to show, if ya' think about it long enough, it'll happen!

Thanks rukind!
Truckin' in style along the avenue.....
Cosmic C
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby hirsh39 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:14 pm

say i was able to record for a while on my computer, say 5-10 minutes at least for dead songs, I could just record it using a mic on to .wav format couldn't I
it would just take a long time
hirsh39
bruce
bruce

Postby ebick » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:17 pm

I'd look for another way to go.

1, you're not going to get a very clean transfer putting a mic in front of your speakers (I think that's what you were saying)

2, 5-10 minute segmenting will get old fast
ebick

tape to cd

Postby Two Djinn » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:41 pm

Some time ago, about 5 years or so, I put hundreds of shows on cd from tape using a panosonic cd burner deck hooked to tape decks.I bought the burner a few years earlier before cd burning was really even heard of. the burner cost me around $500 (probobly pick it up for 100 now). To put tracks in the recording I had to listen to the tapes and list the times that i wanted to have the track number change so while burning I could hit the button to add a track. I had to stay by the burner to add track markers so I sat by my stereo for months. I started with the shows from '68, '69 so I heard the alligator/caution jam more than I want to think about. The burner had some equalization that made the cd sound much better than the tapes but nowadays I find myself searching the web for better versions . I think the first poster was right. It was a tedious task back in the day before archive or GDlive, Now I'm afraid it may just be a waste of time.
Two Djinn
rukind?
rukind?

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion