Websites with Live Shows

Websites with Live Shows

Postby Yesterdays gone home » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:44 am

I know gd live has been up and down the last few days well here are two other great sites for downloading Grateful Dead Music and others....

http://www.nugs.net

http://www.archive.org

Archive has literally thousands of shows. Just type in Grateful Dead in the search part and they all appear.

I'm sure most know of those sites but maybe a few don't. :)
Yesterdays gone home
bruce
bruce

Postby stonemountain » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:44 am

Thank you, I wasn't aware of them.
stonemountain
tiger
tiger

Postby Yesterdays gone home » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:47 pm

No worries. I came across those sites myself only recently and they seem pretty good.
Yesterdays gone home
bruce
bruce

Postby hirsh39 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:37 pm

I really like nugs.net, they have good selection for dead and non dead jammy stuff. In fact, currently downloading 10/17/78 off nugs as i type this
hirsh39
bruce
bruce

Postby gr8fulbluz » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:32 pm

for some reason, i really find the archive easy to navigate. It has actually led me to just stream shows anymore, i havent d/led a show in a long while..... Come to think about it i want to get the 2 1988 - Oxford Plains Speedway, summer tour '88 was fun, i think :wink:
i havent beed to nugs i over a year i should give it another looky.
THX
gr8fulbluz

Postby ebick » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:28 am

Is there any way to sort shows on the archive site? I put in Grateful Dead on the search and there's surely lot's of shows, but the come out all over the place in terms of sequence.

Also, is there an artist index? I didn't see one. I was searhcing for Jerry Garcia, and got Grateful Dead. I also searching for Yes, and well, you can imagine.
ebick

Postby Yesterdays gone home » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:15 am

I'd like to know those things myself. I've noticed that if you download a whole show the set list is different to what they list it as and sometimes I've downloaded just one song and again it isn't what it's listed as. So I'm not sure, they don't seem to have any Jerry Garcia Band or such like it seems all Dead. But maybe I haven't found it yet. It needs to be more organised, unless I'm missing something.
Yesterdays gone home
bruce
bruce

Postby jck_strw » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:27 am

The Archive.org site is fantastic. Here's the Grateful Dead section chronologically:

http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisti ... ful%20Dead

or

http://tinyurl.com/39kv2

Here's the index for all the groups they have archived:

http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisti ... 905c6a3d26

or

http://tinyurl.com/5zo3g

Hope this helps.
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby ebick » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:44 am

Your the man jck_strw. I am d/l my 4th show.......one I have not been able to find on any trading lists.....ever.
ebick

Postby jck_strw » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:04 am

Glad this helps. I'm not sure how old people are and how long they've been collecting shows, but looking at this site now is so weird for me. When I first started collecting, I remember scouring rec.music.gdead for B&P offers; collecting music on Maxell IIs; envying Tiedrich's tape list; trying to find someone who would trade a decent copy of 8-27-72; etc. I can imagine my reaction if this type of site had been available 15 years ago. I would've been apoplectic.

Score one for the Internet.
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby phpbb » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:51 pm

I remember saving up my money to buy my own set of taping gear and finally start taping the shows. It took me a few shows to have mail order give me taper tickets, but then I was in for good, and never got denied. I thought I was so cool when I upgraded to a Sony DAT when they became available. Now I am downloading every show I went to.

In perspective, I taped for my freinds, and my car. I just loved the feeling of walking the parking lot, then when it was time to make our way to the campground, I'd plop in the show, and it was awesome.
phpbb

Postby ebick » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:42 pm

I always loved hearing the show I'd just been to.

I some great ones, some good ones, and some not so good. But this archive site is awesome. Every show that I went to that I've not been able to find is there.

If I may be so bold......a couple of reccomendations.

4/6/82, second set may be the best set of Grateful Dead music I've ever heard. The Shakedown features an impromptu Q&A jam between Jerry and Brent. A solid Sailor/Saint, followed by Terrapin. But the gem...is the Truckin->Other One->Dew. It may be the shortest Other One ever, but one of the most intense.

A few nights before that 4/3/82, Scope theatre, Norfolk, VA. A mundane set list (the bad rap of the early eighties), but a completely solid performance. The part I wish to draw your attention to is my favorite Scarlet->Fire ever. Here's why:

1) A great Scarlet solo
2) Extremely spacey Jam, especially around the 12:30 mark (if your marking from the beginning of Scarlet)
3) If they were ever going to do this one in the studio, the way they transitioned from the Jam into Fire is how they would have done it. You know it wasn't rehearsed, but it sounded like it.
4) The flutter Jerry does right before the main theme to Fire
5) The end of the first Fire solo, Jerry just goes unconcious! Off the freakin charts!

Bonus) Jerry almost got all the words to Fire right.

Definately a headphones special. Check it out.
ebick

Postby phpbb » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:00 pm

I actually heard about this site from our librarian at work. She recommended it for its other archive features. Check out the "way back machine" on the home page. It stores versions of pretty much every URL that there has been (ok, maybe not all of them)

It has multiple versions of rukind.com dating back to 1997. Ed, I forget your original URL, but you should look it up.
phpbb

Postby Billbbill » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:38 pm

Just downloaded one of my all time favorites (which I also happened to be at). Saratoga performing arts center 6/18/83.
Very hot 2nd set starting with one of my favorite Scarlets not to mention Fire with a thunder and lightning show. They were really together.
Also one of the more powerful Dews.
The copy I got was a pretty decent audience with a very good presence, like I was almost back there. While sound boards are great, sometimes I prefer a good audience recording; gives you a more accurate feel for what it was like THERE. Sometimes boards can be a little sterile.
This was also from Archive .org
Billbbill

Postby ebick » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:16 pm

DUDE!

I was at that show (6/18/83). I actually organized a bus trip that became a lifelong memory for many folks. It was a great time and a great show.
ebick

Next

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion