Beautiful Jam

Beautiful Jam

Postby Yesterdays gone home » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:16 am

Can anyone improvise or workout how to play "Beautiful Jam" from the So Many Roads collection. It has to be some of the most beautiful guitar playing I've heard, short but so sweet.

Thanks all..... :)
Yesterdays gone home

Beautiful Jam...

Postby jhc » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:19 pm

I think it's simply a A to D progression. I don't think I have the ear or the patience to figure out exactly what Jerry's playing though :-)
jhc
Keith
Keith

Re: Beautiful Jam

Postby jackr » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:04 am

i know this is a very old post but arguably the best 2 or 3 minutes (minutes 1 to 4) of the many thousands of hours the grateful dead ever played. Just the perfect storm where everything came together, hence – The Beautiful Jam. I know its great because I am really moved every time i hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WD3d_CUTbw
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Postby ricepr » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:32 am

Am->D, we are gonna throw it in. It sort of has a "Fly me to the moon" melody briefly to start. Learning it note for note would defeat the purpose. I just play something similar as melodic and soulful as I can. Falling short of the Fat Man, but folks like it pretty well
ricepr
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby brutusbuck45 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:01 pm

This guy has some wonderful insight into "Beautiful Jam"- broken down into a nearly 20 minute video. Yes, there are two chords- but definitely so much more to the jam that made it special. :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKCp_5Bpa_4
brutusbuck45
Phil
Phil

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion