New Lieber Garcia Guitar

New Lieber Garcia Guitar

Postby TI4-1009 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:41 pm

The link to this article was posted on the RUKind home page last week but I just read it. Looks like Tom is working with some of Jerry's family to make a limited-run Jerry-ish guitar- Wolfish body, Tele electronics. The article mentions the whereabouts of Jerry's old tele. It also refers to "the late" Doug Irwin??? Misprint???

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/08/11/grateful-deads-jerry-garcia-remembered-with-new-eco-friendly-ocean-guitar/

"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Re: New Lieber Garcia Guitar

Postby ac4468 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:08 pm

Not sure where to even start...
ac4468
Jester
Jester

Postby waldo041 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:17 am

ac4468 wrote:Not sure where to even start...

+1

~waldo
Disclaimer: I only make, modify or build things for those that seek what i may be able to provide.
waldo041

Postby playingdead » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:27 am

Here?

Lieber makes a Summer of Love model guitar that was inspired by Tiger, but he refuses to build an exact replica out of respect for the late Grateful Dead paterfamilias, who died in 1995. Tiger was the last guitar he ever played. “I have a moral issue about that,” he says. “We built that guitar for Jerry, and I won’t make that exact thing for anybody. It wouldn’t feel right.”

Isn't that what the $24k "The Garcia" guitar is?

http://www.lieberguitars.com/the-garcia/
playingdead

Postby Jon S. » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:58 am

My own post in an earlier thread in The Gear Page on this specific guitar:

This guitar and thread illustrate the difference between the literal and the symbolic. This is not, nor is it intended to be, "a guitar Jerry would play." Scuba diving and the ocean soothed Jerry's soul in his later, troubled days and sustainability is consistent with his spirit and legacy. I wouldn't necessarily choose this specific style/design, either, but I get what Lieber was after.

Another guy responding to my post wrote:

Absolutely. I mean, I don't recall ever seeing Jerry play a tele and the headstock is a bit strange, but that is not what this is about. It is the lack of plastic and the sustainability of the wood that is important to the foundation. It does have a beautiful grain and I like the body. As was said earlier it reminds me a of Wolf.
/ `--'(
< [] []////////|::: )
\_.--.(
Jon S.

Postby waldo041 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:39 pm

“When we designed that instrument, we were thinking that we wanted to create our generation’s Les Paul,” he explains. “It was called the Garcia. It became the Tiger later on, but that was not our original intent. Forty years later, it has kind of become our generation’s Les Paul.”

He cut the original wood blanks for the guitar never gluing any of it. Tiger was Built by Irwin not Thomas Lieber! In fact, Doug NEVER mentions his name in any interviews about the making of it, EVER! Lieber has inserted himself into the making of that guitar and skews the facts and details to serve himself. He also hides Irwin whereabouts so the truth won't be told. Lieber is perpetuated as some Garcia Guru by guys like Jon S who will find some moral high ground to comment. I personally knew more about Jerry's guitars than he did a decade ago. And was called by Lieber on more than one occasion about details. Show me one article past 10 to 15 years ago that says anything about Thomas Lieber being a co-builder of Jerry's Tiger. That is roughly 7 years AFTER Jerry passed and and a further 23 years after Tiger was first deliver. In all that time why did Thomas Lieber or Irwin not mention his collaboration at all? Why only has he become known in the past 10 or so years? I am not saying Lieber was not an apprentice of Irwin, or that he is not a Luthier with many patents. Or that he did not know the band during his apprenticeship. In fact he is the reason why Irwin got Tiger back at all! Lieber stated under oath that he was there when Jerry initially paid for the instrument in cash to Irwin and not by GD check. The GD lost their ownership case of Tiger because of him, NOT because he built Tiger, but because he happened to be there when it was initially purchased, years before it was built and delivered by Irwin. That court case was Lieber's initial insertion into claiming his design and building credits of Tiger. So for him to lay all this nostalgia BS puts a ton of bad karma on that guitar anyway. He states he would never build an exact copy of Tiger, but he has already attempted it as Vic pointed out. And if that statement is true then why would he use Jerry's artwork on the guitar? Anyone could have built that guitar to her spec's, but Lieber took another opportunity to insert himself into GD lore and those that do not know eat it all up. It is a shame, but it is true, he only cut some wood. He was not there when it was glued together, brass added, inlays made or any other aspect of the 7 year build after he left. HE had nothing to do with Wolf, Wolf Jr, Rosebud or any other guitar made by Irwin for Jerry.

My Apologies if this offends anyone, it needed to be said. Someone is gonna bid their money on this guitar thinking this guy actually had a huge part in the building of Jerry Garcia's guitar and that simply is not true.

~waldo
Disclaimer: I only make, modify or build things for those that seek what i may be able to provide.
waldo041

Postby Jon S. » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:19 am

>> Lieber is perpetuated as some Garcia Guru by guys like Jon S who will find some moral high ground to comment.

Jeez, not this shit again, LOL!
/ `--'(
\_.--.(
Jon S.

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:28 am

Let's play nice?

Say what you will, Tom was A HELL OF A LOT closer to the build of Tiger than anyone on this board- all present company included. He apprenticed with Doug for a number of years so, Tiger included and excluded, he knows a bit about Doug's techniques first-hand.

My understanding is that he does not disclose Doug's whereabouts at Doug's request- not for some self-centered subterfuge.

Jerry did have an old tele, there are recent photos of Bobby with it. There was a guy that did electrical work at Jerry's house later in Jer's life that said that the tele was the only guitar he ever saw Jerry with when he was at the house.

While I might not go for the guitar we're talking hereabout either, I can appreciate the luthier's attempt to bring a number of parts of Jerry's life together in one instrument.

No crime in that is there?

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks." -Shakespeare, Hamlet
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby lightningbolt » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:47 am

Waldo states-He also hides Irwin whereabouts so the truth won't be told.

With all due respect Waldo.....

In this day and age of social media, even in prison or if institutionalized you can let the entire galaxy know exactly where you are if you wish it to be known. Unless Tom Leiber has Doug Irwin chained up and gagged in his basement, he is in no way responsible for Doug staying below the radar. That is all on Doug.
lightningbolt
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby waldo041 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:29 pm

Jon is right, I probably just need to grow up!

~waldo
waldo041

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:41 am

Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Jon S. » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:20 am

waldo041 wrote:Jon is right, I probably just need to grow up!

~waldo

Me, too! :) In that case, perhaps we can toast together a la Patton and the Russian general: 8)

/ `--'(
\_.--.(
Jon S.

Postby NQL » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:05 am

I wonder who made that bridge?
NQL
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby Free Jazz » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:39 am

That has to be the most unimpressive "Wolf" ever posted on this board. A "poll" might reveal as much. ; )
Free Jazz
Rosebud
Rosebud

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion