John K sighted at Trey Anastasio Band show

John K sighted at Trey Anastasio Band show

Postby helio » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:58 am

Chalk this up to interesting, though perhaps useless, info. Went to the Trey Anastasio Band show last night at the Fillmore in Silver Spring, MD. A ways into the show, my wife tugs on my elbow, looks a few folks to our left, and says, "that guy looks a lot like John Kadlecik." Me: "It IS John Kadlecik!" For the rest of the night, my reality was this: Look to my right... Trey onstage cranking out the tunes. Look to my left... John K taking it all in in a very calm, pensive way. I was surrounded by two of my guitar heroes. Guitar geek overload!

At the set break I approached John, handed him an Adamas pick from my pocket, and said "this is in tribute for all of your great playing. Thank you."

Fun twist to an already great night.
helio
TC
TC

Re: John K sighted at Trey Anastasio Band show

Postby Quarterpounder » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:03 pm

Very cool! Thanks for sharing....
Quarterpounder
tiger
tiger

Postby mkaufman » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:49 pm

I saw the Stones at the Roseland Ballroom in NYC maybe 10 years ago. I had David Wells (Yankees perfect game pitcher) to my left and James Taylor to my right. Being a small venue, there were many celebs. I was one of the few who scored a 'mere mortal' ticket. Not only that, the ticket was only $60!

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby Octal » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:55 pm

I hear if you approach these people like normal individuals ("Hey how's it going, what did you think of the setlist, etc."), they respond in a normal way and don't really act annoyed.
Octal
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:06 am

Classy- nice touch!

Reminder to self- always have an Adamas in my pocket...
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby cripeowner » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:47 am

Jeez you give these guys $100+ per ticket and now I have to give them a $4 pick to boot just to say hi? It's like to a baseball signing now :lol: BTW I said hi to Carlos Santana at a restaurant in SF last month for free. :-)
cripeowner
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby helio » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:37 am

cripeowner wrote:Jeez you give these guys $100+ per ticket and now I have to give them a $4 pick to boot just to say hi? It's like to a baseball signing now :lol: BTW I said hi to Carlos Santana at a restaurant in SF last month for free. :-)

Actually, no. I paid $39 for the Trey show, which, for 3+ hours of phenomenal music has to be one of the best deals going. And the last several times I've seen John K it's been with the John K Band for what... maybe $25 a ticket? Again... a bargain in my eyes.

I said hello to him for free. I gave him the pick (maybe cost me $1... ?) as a simple gesture of thanks... of connection as a fellow guitarist. A simple way to say "I get it." If I'd seen him in a bar, I would have bought him a $5 beer. Instead, I gave him an Adamas pick... a symbol that draws a connection between him, Jerry, Trey and the rest of us who are meandering down the same guitar path. A simple gesture for a moment when I wanted to say a bit more than "Hello."
helio
TC
TC

Postby cripeowner » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:15 pm

helio wrote:
cripeowner wrote:Jeez you give these guys $100+ per ticket and now I have to give them a $4 pick to boot just to say hi? It's like to a baseball signing now :lol: BTW I said hi to Carlos Santana at a restaurant in SF last month for free. :-)

Actually, no. I paid $39 for the Trey show, which, for 3+ hours of phenomenal music has to be one of the best deals going. And the last several times I've seen John K it's been with the John K Band for what... maybe $25 a ticket? Again... a bargain in my eyes.

I said hello to him for free. I gave him the pick (maybe cost me $1... ?) as a simple gesture of thanks... of connection as a fellow guitarist. A simple way to say "I get it." If I'd seen him in a bar, I would have bought him a $5 beer. Instead, I gave him an Adamas pick... a symbol that draws a connection between him, Jerry, Trey and the rest of us who are meandering down the same guitar path. A simple gesture for a moment when I wanted to say a bit more than "Hello."

No worries. I was just having a little fun with it. I watch every pick I have that's why I found it amusing.
cripeowner
Pigpen
Pigpen

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion