The Grateful Dead of this generation is here...

The Grateful Dead of this generation is here...

Postby caspersvapors » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:54 pm

and they are called White Denim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKMIDHUwHmM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VNKAuRN ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3nmIxPk ... ure=relmfu

the intensity of early dead, indie pop rock melodic lines with all the musicality of jam/prog bands. These guys are amazing. Ive never seen a bunch of hipsters that could rock this hard.

Their rhythm section absolutely slays
caspersvapors

Re: The Grateful Dead of this generation is here...

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:09 am

They sound great, but The Grateful Dead they are not. :smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby jackr » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:42 am

That is a HUGE claim to be made on this forum. I suspect you will meet a lot of resistance.

Here is my critic from just the one video I watched.

They were very tight - way too tight be compared to the dead. The dead was tight but in a much "looser" way, if that makes any sense. It was more of a feel then controlled arrangements.
the musicians are very good, but in a much more technical way. not melodic and emotional as the dead.

the dead had a chemistry that can only be provided by the mix of Jerry , bobby, and phil (pigpen) etc. No other band can create what they had without them. It was a unique. I can go on...

Also you may have not seen Jerry or the Dead live which puts you in a different perspective because the "AURA" (for the lack of a better word) that they had especially Jerry can not be translated to the next generation. A poor way to relate it is I would compare Jerry's "aura" to that of Trey from Phish or Lowell George of Little Feat. All different auras but in order to be compared to the dead that element must be there.

That being said:
I liked that this band created their own unique chemistry. this is definitely a band that I would like to see live. I really liked it and will keep an eye on them. I would like to know more about them as they are excellent. Anyway THANK YOU for sharing that.
Last edited by jackr on Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Postby paulinnc » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:41 am

jackr wrote:That is a HUGE claim to be made on this forum. I suspect you will meet a lot of resistance.

Here is my critic from just the one video I watched.

They were very tight - way too tight be compared to the dead. The dead was tight but in a much "looser" way, if that makes any sense. It was more of a feel then controlled arrangements.
the musicians are very good, but in a much more technical way. not melodic and emotional as the dead.

the dead had a chemistry that can only be provided by the mix of Jerry , bobby, and phil (pigpen) etc. No other band can create what they had without them. It was a unique. I can go on...

Also you may have not seen Jerry or the Dead live which puts you in a different perspective because the "ORA" (for the lack of a better word) that they had especially Jerry can not be translated to the next generation. A poor way to relate it is I would compare Jerry's "ora" to that of Trey from Phish or Lowell George of Little Feat. All different oras but in order to be compared to the dead that element must be there.

That being said:
I liked that this band created their own unique chemistry. this is definitely a band that I would like to see live. I really liked it and will keep an eye on them. I would like to know more about them as they are excellent. Anyway THANK YOU for sharing that.

I agree, however I think the word you are looking for is "aura." :-)
paulinnc

Postby mraugustwest » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:25 am

the music sounded good and the band played well together but i would have never made a connection between these guys and the dead. this is the problem with sooooooo much music put out these days, it is nothing new really. they basically vamp on a chord and play a lick ripped off (i'm sure not intentionally) from jimmy page if my ear is correct.

this is the frustrating thing about the music coming out now. it seems that there are technically competent musicians out there, but there aren't a lot of very original folks. i'm not meaning to rag on these guys, but they weren't really bringing anything to the table. i liked the music and they did have a lot of energy, but again, nothing inventive, original, novel or new.

the dead are truly an inventive amalgam of american music. what they did is draw from a great number of genres and make something new and their own. what these guys in the videos are doing is rocking out and sounding like a million other groups...

:peas:
mraugustwest
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby Cmnaround » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:32 am

Yeah I totally agree - it's a real high hurdle to compare to the dead - especially anything post late 1967 - which is a lot. I most appreciate whoever called out the vamping on a single cord while hitting a jimmy page riff - that was no doubt ripped from an old blues record and reinvigorated w some distortion.

If you never had the opportunity to see the band with Jerry, multiple nights in a row, tour after tour, it's probably almost impossible to get a sense of what happened and why it was so fucking amazing!

Ok now where is my time machine to get back the Greek in summer '85!!
Cmnaround
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby mraugustwest » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:23 pm

so this begs the question, who is making really good original music right now? there is never going to be a replacement for the dead, but is there anyone out there making good, honest, sincere american music that has a quasi-similar feel for technical complexity, originality, spontaneity and the right mix of traditional influences and ever expanding audio landscapes???

i don't know if it exists, but i hope someone here might suggest a few. again, this is not saying who is the next, but instead where should we look now a days.
mraugustwest
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby caspersvapors » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:11 pm

That is a HUGE claim to be made on this forum. I suspect you will meet a lot of resistance.

I made my claim expecting 100% resistance actually.
caspersvapors

Postby jackr » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:50 am

paulinnc wrote:I agree, however I think the word you are looking for is "aura." :-)

I knew it looked strange. I fixed it thanks.
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Postby TheMissingDigit » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:18 am

I am really liking this band so far, and look forward to hearing more. I would love to see a list of good newer bands get started. I am in a major rut. Only thing somewhat current I have been listening to is Grace Potter but that may not be for wholly musical reasons.
TheMissingDigit
tiger
tiger

Postby rugger » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:49 am

Saw these guys open for Wilco in January. I enjoyed them despite the terrible mix they were given--very muddy. The drummer was great to watch.

Someone mentioned wanting some new bands to listen for. Here's one...Dawes. Singer songwriter vibe in a band context not too dissimilar to Jackson Browne.

John in San Diego
rugger
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Lunchbox16 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:50 pm

Funny, I just listened to a couple of Dawes albums this morning and was thinking about how great they were. I had the Mother Hips on, too, although they're not new.

I've caught a few newer acts on Conan recently that I liked: Alabama Shakes and Good Old War.
"Is maith an scéalaí an aimsir." Time is a great storyteller. -- Irish Proverb
Lunchbox16
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby gr8fullfred » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:41 pm

Before you state that "White Denim" or any other band is the new GD check your facts and see if their accomplishments stack up:

GD:

1) the band was together for 30 years, that alone is a high hurdle to clear.

2)During their career, they played like 3000 or 3200 concerts. More than any other major rock act and almost more than anybody. (there are a few older people who may have played more concerts, BB King comes to mind.) The Dead regularly sold out major stadiums, and were for most years the highest grossing touring act on the planet. (of course they played more shows than anybody else). The Dead was the main attraction at Watkins Glen, the largest gathering of people ever assembled for a rock concert. The Dead is the greatest touring band ever. White Denim, not so much.

3)The Dead were innovative, not only in their music, but innovative in the development of PA hardware, such as the wall of sound, and in ear monitors (I think that they were the first major act to use in ear monitors). The Dead actually cared about how they sounded, invested and developed equipment to improve the sound at their shows.

4)The dead have (not counting here) 10 or so iconic musical masterpieces, Trucking, UGB, Deal, Box of Rain, Music Never Stops, Looks Like Rain, Eyes....... etc. Does White Denim have even one?

5)The Dead created (perhaps unintentionally) a whole new genre of music. Later named Jam Band

6)The Dead are the first band that allowed, and at times even encouraged and aided, their fans to tape their shows and trade tapes. It annoys me to no end that they are eating away at this policy now.

and finally,
7)The Dead had Jerry, White Denim never did.

Nice try, but not even close. Want to get closer try Phish, or my post Dead favorite band, the String Cheese Incident. I love the cheese!
gr8fullfred
Jerry
Jerry

Postby caspersvapors » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:03 pm

why are you comparing stats and factoids that the Grateful Dead compiled by the END of their careers with stats that White Denim have at the BEGINNING of their careers? LOL.

a more accurate comparison would be comparing White Denim to the GD circa 1968-69 - which is what I did and why I made the association in the first place. They remind me of the early Dead - they have an exciting musical direction, raw intensity, an obvious wealth of knowledge of their instruments and combine all their influences into something that is both exciting, interesting and most importantly, FUN to listen to. When you assess these guys based on their MUSIC and place them within the musical landscape of today's bands, I think they are totally like the Grateful Dead were in the late 60s.
caspersvapors

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:19 am

caspersvapors wrote: I think they are totally like the Grateful Dead were in the late 60s.

Well, you said it here...key word is "like". Saying they are "like" The Grateful Dead is way different than saying they are The Grateful Dead of this generation.
:smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Next

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion