Grateful Dead practice sessions?

Re: Grateful Dead practice sessions?

Postby tcsned » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:46 pm

jester536 wrote:Another great post...WHEN I GET TO WORK I'll forward a list...this is the type of thing that work computers were meant for. A buddy of mine recently retired...he was convinced that it would be the demise of his fantasy baseball team...American exceptionalism.

Ha! That 1.5 TB drive is pretty handy since I got to hire a video guy to take the load off :) I've got about 200 GB of Dead music on it now :)
tcsned

Postby Adam Deckard » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:48 pm

hippieguy1954 wrote:I'm not sure there are many or any, but I do know your thread topic is spelled wrong...Sessions...not "Seasions" and they are not the "dear". I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but it is important to spell correctly so people take you seriously, so people know what your talking about and so people don't think your dumb. It really helps me to click the "preview" button and read your post before submitting it.
:smile: :smile: :smile:

Oh, oh what I want to know...
Adam Deckard
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby mttourpro » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:45 pm

FWIW--I recall seeing a VCR of a rehearsal with Keith and Donna which must've been right before the first tour of 76.

There's takes of Estimated and Passenger I believe and a lot of other stuff---prolly about an hour long---haven't seen it in years though...I think it might have even been in black and white!
http://www.thecausejams.com

let your life proceed by its own design....
mttourpro

Re: dead practice seasions?

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:36 am

lunchbox wrote:For everyone that had something to say about my spelling and grammar, I typed this up using my "smart" phone this morning in a hurry as I was loading straw on a trailer. I didn't notice the mistakes. Thanks for the replys tho.

I would like to officially apologize for jumping on you about your spelling. I’m truly sorry. I’m far from perfect and am always trying to improve. I’m not afraid of constructive criticism. I try to take it with open arms.
:smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:04 am

Group hug!

(agree about the "smart" phones- ugh! I have a Droid 3 with the nice slide out keyboard, but I usually have to go back and make a half-dozen corrections before I hit "send". If at all possible I'll wait until I get back to my computer to do it right.)

And hippieguy- I'm sorry too. I was an English major for my first year of college and I've just never been able to shake it... :lol:
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:35 am

TI4-1009 wrote:Group hug!

(agree about the "smart" phones- ugh! I have a Droid 3 with the nice slide out keyboard, but I usually have to go back and make a half-dozen corrections before I hit "send". If at all possible I'll wait until I get back to my computer to do it right.)

And hippieguy- I'm sorry too. I was an English major for my first year of college and I've just never been able to shake it... :lol:

Group hugs are always good!

No hard feelings here, TI4-1009. I can understand. I was a literature/music major for two years until I dropped out, lol. :smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Adam Deckard » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:57 am

Now I am feeling the love in here! :cool:
Adam Deckard
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Mr.Burns » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:27 am

jester536 wrote:I just love the fact that th OP was using his smart phone while loading straw on a trailer...just struck me as an interesting combination...oh and by the way....rgeardelss of the atuacl slpenilg as lnog as the frsit and lsat lterts are crorcet msot poelpe can raed the snetnece.
(damn that is hard to type with auto-correct)

I seem to recall reading an entire paragraph once that was half a page long which was intentionally jumbled this way. After your mind adjusts to it, not only can you read the misspelled words, but most people can read them at the same speed at which they read properly spelled words.
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby tcsned » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:13 am

Mr.Burns wrote:
jester536 wrote:I just love the fact that th OP was using his smart phone while loading straw on a trailer...just struck me as an interesting combination...oh and by the way....rgeardelss of the atuacl slpenilg as lnog as the frsit and lsat lterts are crorcet msot poelpe can raed the snetnece.
(damn that is hard to type with auto-correct)

I seem to recall reading an entire paragraph once that was half a page long which was intentionally jumbled this way. After your mind adjusts to it, not only can you read the misspelled words, but most people can read them at the same speed at which they read properly spelled words.

That's because your brain doesn't see individual letters because you have hopefully learned how to read. :D We see words as a whole so your brain reassembles the letters to make the correct words. Dyslexics tend to be better at this.

As to the original post, I have:
1966 Scorpio studio out takes
1968 ? St Stephen, Eleven practice
1969 Aoxomoxoa out takes
1969 Workingman's Dead out takes
1971 Studio rehearsals w/Keith
1974 Mars Hotel sessions
1975 Ace's SNACK Rehearsal ?
1975 Club Front - Blues for Allah
1976 Club Front
1983 Stone House Studio
1983 Club Front
1984 Studio Rehearsal (In the Dark stuff)
1984 Studio Material - Day Tripper, Tons of Steel, Tom Thumbs
1988 Built to Last sessions
Also a handful of random tunes that were not in front of a live audience

I cannot verify the accuracy of these dates or sessions but they mostly sound legitimate for the era.
tcsned

Postby ugly rumor » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:57 am

I guess I'll get in on the hug, too. As most here, I hope, know, my sense of humor can be very dry, and if you know me, you know that it is never accompanied by malice; having said that, I have often offended people who didn't know me, and so have learned to be somewhat restrained in the use of it. Mark Twain is perhaps my favorite humorist. I was an inveterate reader as a child, and still read a lot today, and as a result have a strong sense and respect for the English language, and consider it to be the most versatile and expressive language I know of. It can be very precise, and I love it for that reason, among others. In fifth grade I tested first year college level of English.

Peace and love, from the heart, to all here, and everywhere!

Your education has begun when you no longer blame others; it is complete when you no longer blame yourself. (Epictetus)
Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go, we just ride...
ugly rumor
Bobby
Bobby

Postby lunchbox » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:35 pm

Hey family I am also in on this group hug! No hard feelings, I always appreciate seeing my mistakes.. even when there silly due to a "smart phone" Also thank you to everyone that has helped! It means a lot.
Love and ppmd!
lunchbox
tiger
tiger

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:39 pm

Oh man, just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.....

ugly rumor- I have an Epictetus quote on the wall in front of my desk at work:

"Do not write to be understood, write so that you can not be misunderstood."
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:36 pm

I have this great '66 session (maybe the same '66 one you have, Ned?) that's just them grinding Viola Lee over and over again. Some weird silliness, like 12 several-minute partial portions of the song, and one glorious complete version at the end that just cooks. Jerry leaves everyone in the dust. So great.
wolftigerrosebud
Rosemary
Rosemary

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion