Grateful Dead practice sessions?

Grateful Dead practice sessions?

Postby lunchbox » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:43 am

Anyone know where I can download some of the dead's practice sessions, or have copies they could send me? I have a viola lee blues seasion from 66 that is great listening! Thanks for the help!
Last edited by lunchbox on Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lunchbox
tiger
tiger

Re: dead practice seasions?

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:28 am

I'm not sure there are many or any, but I do know your thread topic is spelled wrong...Sessions...not "Seasions" and they are not the "dear". I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but it is important to spell correctly so people take you seriously, so people know what your talking about and so people don't think your dumb. It really helps me to click the "preview" button and read your post before submitting it.
:smile: :smile: :smile:
Last edited by hippieguy1954 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby ugly rumor » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:50 am

This I could not resist, as the pot calls the kettle black!! "Threat" topic? "...So people know what 'your' (you're) talking about...'your (you're) not dumb"? And the beat goes on!

To the original poster, you can sometimes find cds labeled "Unsurpassed, Volume X" (X is a number) that are recordings of Grateful Dead practice sessions. Volume 6 was "Wake Of The Flood", Volume 8 was "Mars Hotel"; they were on "Dead Man" records. Give me an address and I'll send you those two. Others if I can find them.
Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go, we just ride...
ugly rumor
Bobby
Bobby

Postby Mr.Burns » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:57 am

ugly rumor wrote:This I could not resist, as the pot calls the kettle black!! "Threat" topic? "...So people know what 'your' (you're) talking about...'your (you're) not dumb"? And the beat goes on!

:lol:
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:37 am

ugly rumor wrote:This I could not resist, as the pot calls the kettle black!! "Threat" topic? "...So people know what 'your' (you're) talking about...'your (you're) not dumb"? And the beat goes on!

+2

Sorry hippieguy, but he's correct. Your posts often contain typos and misspellings. I had always let it go, but since you jumped on him- take your (you're, yore) medicine! :lol:

There (they're, their), I've said it. :smile: :smile: :smile:

Last edited by TI4-1009 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby ebick » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:56 am

I have the Aoxomoxoa stuff, as well as some stuff that includes Mars, Terrapin and Workingman's......I think...it's been a while. But I thought the OP was looking for more actual band formulation sessions.....which would be really cool.....I would love to hear them putting together a tune.....but that's just how I am.....I get off on seeing stuff like the original hand-written lyrics, especially when they're on a napkin or something.....I just like to imagine how cool it must have been when they were just coming up with this stuff, and how it evolved from an initial idea to what we are now familiar with.
Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
ebick

Postby Pete B. » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:58 am

On Archive, usually the first few listing of any year are Reheasrsals.
Not every year, but many years, the first few listings are at Club Front, or Aces Studio (or at some other Studio), or some album name Rehearsal mix. Sometimes it says Live at Unkown. Watch for the word Outtakes, also.
'Just gotta poke'roun'...
This link should sort "by year":
http://www.archive.org/browse.php?colle ... field=year
Pete B.

Postby lunchbox » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:44 am

For everyone that had something to say about my spelling and grammar, I typed this up using my "smart" phone this morning in a hurry as I was loading straw on a trailer. I didn't notice the mistakes. Thanks for the replys tho.
lunchbox
tiger
tiger

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:55 am

TI4-1009 wrote:

+2

Sorry hippieguy, but he's correct. Your posts often contain typos and misspellings. I had always let it go, but since you jumped on him- take your (you're, yore) medicine! :lol:

Yes, your point is well taken and I know I am guilty as well as others of making typos as well as spelling mistakes. The your and there etc. has always been a problem, for me anyway, and I have found it never confuses anyone (because lots of people have that problem), but to compare typos and the they're/there/their stuff to the misspelled title of a thread and misspelled name of the band the forum is about, is a very long stretch.

I don't claim to be perfect and I also let lots of typos etc. go by without ever saying anything. You are not the only one. This is (I'm pretty sure) my first time ever saying anything about anyone’s spelling because it is the title of a thread and the name of the band this forum is about. You will not find that in any thread or post of mine!
Oh, one more thing, please point out any mistakes in my post. I appreciate it!
And don't forget that if you tell someone they are calling the kettle black, you will be scrutinized for the same thing!
hippieguy1954

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:07 pm

hippieguy1954 wrote:
TI4-1009 wrote:

+2

Yes, your point is well taken and I know I am guilty as well as others of making typos as well as spelling mistakes. The your and there etc. has always been a problem, for me anyway, and I have found it never confuses anyone (because lots of people have that problem), but to compare typos and the they're/there/their stuff to the misspelled title of a thread and misspelled name of the band the forum is about, is a very long stretch.

I don't claim to be perfect and I also let lots of typos etc. go by without ever saying anything. You are not the only one. This is (I'm pretty sure) my first time ever saying anything about anyone’s spelling because it is the title of a thread and the name of the band this forum is about. You will not find that in any thread or post of mine!
Oh, one more thing, please point out any mistakes in my post. I appreciate it!
And don't forget that if you tell someone they are calling the kettle black, you will be scrutinized for the same thing!

BJolley wrote:I didn't trust my ability to get fancy so went with a basic rectangle (I figured if good enough for Tiger's blade-switch, it is good enough for my guitar), but we'll see what the future holds. Now that I've gotten my feet wet in guitar mods, I'm considering buying a neck and and building a custom body. As for the word in dispute, I prefer "aesthetic" myself.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/aesthetic
hippieguy1954

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:30 pm

Doh! The jig is up..... :lol:
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Re: Grateful Dead practice sessions?

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:09 pm

Yea, buddy! :smile: :smile: :smile:
hippieguy1954

Postby jester536 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:45 pm

I just love the fact that th OP was using his smart phone while loading straw on a trailer...just struck me as an interesting combination...oh and by the way....rgeardelss of the atuacl slpenilg as lnog as the frsit and lsat lterts are crorcet msot poelpe can raed the snetnece.
(damn that is hard to type with auto-correct)
If the thunder don't getcha then the lightning will!
http://www.reverbnation.com/unchartedwaters
jester536
Bear
Bear

Postby tcsned » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:05 pm

Ha! I've been editing a script for work all day, I've still got red ink on my hands :-) in his defense - it's really easy to see other's typos but difficult to see your own. I never proofread my own work if it's going somewhere official.

I've got a few tapes of rehearsals when I get to work I'll forward a list.
tcsned

Postby jester536 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:27 pm

Another great post...WHEN I GET TO WORK I'll forward a list...this is the type of thing that work computers were meant for. A buddy of mine recently retired...he was convinced that it would be the demise of his fantasy baseball team...American exceptionalism.
If the thunder don't getcha then the lightning will!
http://www.reverbnation.com/unchartedwaters
jester536
Bear
Bear

Next

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion