No Easy to Love You in the song area?

No Easy to Love You in the song area?

Postby jeffm725 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:10 am

I am doing a fun gig this weekend that combines members from like 4 different East Coast GD bands. Anyway, the keys player wants to do Easy to Love You (which I am ALL FOR!) and I need to brush up. Anyone have this tabbed out or a chord chart? Also please I am more interested in the Intro and the chords during the "oooh oooh oooohs" than I am in the chords for the verses. The verses are gravy, I am looking for charts of the extended jazz chords during the aforementioned parts. Any help would be great as I just dont have much time this week to woodshed. And not that it makes a difference from the chord standpoint but we are doing the 90 arrangement (the Go to heaven intro is just not the "intro" in the 90 versions, but does appear a few times throughout the song)
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Re: No Easy to Love You in the song area?

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:10 am

http://deadstein.net/songs/
Hey Jeff
Poke around this site
They have the tune in their songbook
Good luck - sounds like a fun time
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby strumminsix » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:17 am

Tennessee Jedi wrote:http://deadstein.net/songs/
Hey Jeff
Poke around this site
They have the tune in their songbook
Good luck - sounds like a fun time
:D

That is the weirdest GD songbook. Some songs are soooo perfect. others are just flat out wrong and can't even understand how they go there?!

their Easy to Love you is great, actually. they captured the quick switch to 3/4 time :)
strumminsix

Postby jeffm725 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:40 am

Thanks guys! I'll check it out......
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:59 am

Can't you just ask the keyboardist to send you his chart?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby jeffm725 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:10 am

Interesting,
No guitar in hands but off the top of my head some of that seems in the Ballpark at least give me a starting point. Bbmaj7#11 indeed :? ....Brent was always good at throwing in some close voiced jazz chords on his early writing. Just enough to screw with you, haha...Far From Me has a couple oddballs too....
After reading that notation it feels like that the original notation there was done by a piano player. Which in this case is probably a GOOD thing(Look at all the "Slash" "/" chords. (notating an altered note at the bottom of a chord) Piano writing all the way (at least in my experience from sharing charts with keys players)! . I think there are a couple minor tweaks to this to bring out Bobby's voicing's against what Jerry and Phil are doing (Because I am hearing nothing thicker than a triad out of Mr. Weir).

I guess it would only be right that if I come up with something workable that we submit it to start an Easy to Love you header here.

Thanks again!
jeffm725

Postby jeffm725 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:20 am

tigerstrat wrote:Can't you just ask the keyboardist to send you his chart?

Did that too, trying to work independently at the same time. Also figure I'd take a crack and see if anyone had worked it out on guitar to any level of detail as that would have been easy. I usually dont mind working for it myself, just no time this week. My usual mode for figuring out the tough stuff is to put a clean version in a piece of software called "Transcribe" , loop the section in question and then slow it down to 50 or 70% (it maintains original pitch). it is great for this stuff.....although it is better for leads than picking up an extended jazz chord out of the density of all the instruments as the bass note or the piano voicing or even Jerry's lick can throw you off into hearing something you're not.
jeffm725

Postby jeffm725 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:37 pm

OK,
Here we go, I went home for lunch to grab my axe (because once something is in my head I can't let it go). The Deadstein deal was on the money in a couple spots and off in one or two. Most notably the Intro goes around twice every time and the 1st and second end "tags" are different

Im not going to bother with the verses, they are correct everywhere pretty much.

Here are the parts in question:

Intro:
edit i will repost
jeffm725

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion