Jerry and Brent ... epic interplay

Jerry and Brent ... epic interplay

Postby playingdead » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:08 am

The person who posted the video got it right ... why Jerry never got over Brent's passing ... incredible tradeoffs.

http://vimeo.com/22710025
playingdead

Re: Jerry and Brent ... epic interplay

Postby jefkahn » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:14 am

When I read the title of the post I immediately thought of NFA from Buffalo '89. Weird. I know it well because of the DVD, and you're right, it's a brilliant example of a musical conversation. Not only that, but I get the sense that they're really playing to each other and not the 50,000 or whatever in the crowd. And you can see the love between them. Sweet video.
...things we've never seen will seem familiar...
jefkahn
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Good Times » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:44 am

Thanks for this video. It brought a HUGE smile to my face. :-)
I wish I was a headlight, on a North bound train
I'd shine my light through cool Colorado rain
Good Times
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:01 am

I'm not sure the Dead ever relied on a Keys guy more than by the end of Brents time with the Dead ( Ok - PigPen I hear ya - but they needed him as a frontman not a keys guy ) .....
When I play along to the HELP/SLIP on With Out a Net .... It really stands out - yes he mixed better due to his death - but it shows that his role was a bit bigger than peps give him credit for.
I love how Brent knows Jerry's riffs. On F.O.T.M. .... Brent is on the Jerry riffs .... the intros outro riffs .... how he backs up Jerry ... and so many other tunes. They def had good chemistry.
Jerry maybe felt like hey all the time and work with Brent was gone and knew that kind of connection with another musician wouldn't happen overnight.
.02$
Tennessee Jedi

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion