Introducting People to the Dead

Introducting People to the Dead

Postby Octal » Tue May 10, 2011 1:11 pm

What albums/shows do you think are good for introducing people to the dead? I know it's so difficult to decide because there are so many aspects to look at depending on what that person is looking for (spiritual, psychedelic, blues, folk, Jerry, Phil, Pigpen, etc. etc). But what do you guys think?
Octal
Terrapin
Terrapin

Re: Introducting People to the Dead

Postby vwjodyme » Tue May 10, 2011 1:20 pm

for people that think they are a psychedelic hippy band i'll usually throw in some acoustic stuff like harpers college...or any pig pen stuff usualy throws them for a loop :lol: funny how many people think jerry was their only singer
vwjodyme

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue May 10, 2011 1:24 pm

Europe 72
:D
Maybe American Beauty / Workingman's Dead
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby tcsned » Tue May 10, 2011 1:32 pm

Live Dead or Anthem of the Sun :shock:

Depends on their musical tastes. I would avoid starting with live shows (other than the ones released as records) as the non-tuned ears to that stuff may block them from hearing the good music. Workingman's Dead, American Beauty, Europe 72, maybe even Reckoning, or Dead Set. If they are 80s music fans give 'em In the Dark. Keep it to the more song oriented stuff unless they're like big Miles Davis fans or something.
tcsned

Postby erock » Tue May 10, 2011 1:35 pm

american beauty for sure. this is from freaks and geeks (and that sound is off) but remember back to the first time you ever heard that album. that is what is going on in the scene

or if that didn't work
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRHZr3VlpgE&NR=1
never fails to bring a smile to my face. the season/series ends with her going on tour in the next episode too

not that anyone here has ever done anything like that :D
erock
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby rkubik » Wed May 11, 2011 10:04 am

There are a few for me that have helped and they are as follows:

American Beauty

Dozin at the Knick

Ladies and Gentleman the Grateful Dead (Filmore shows in 71')

San Francisco Auditorium 1984

Have them watch Festival Express or Closing of Winterland. I think you get a good sense of the vibe and can actually see them and how they interact on stage. I think Bill Graham said the Dead aren't just music they are an experience and it is easier top get the experience with the visual.

I like to give them the broad spectrum because they change quite a bit from decade to decade and the set lists they play. The other thing that has worked for me is give them the address to the archive and let them dig for themselves. If they like one or two songs it is a great tool to open their mind to other shows and songs and let them choose for themselves.
rkubik
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby mmuller » Wed May 11, 2011 11:34 am

I have a certain affinity for Workingman's Dead and American Beauty as they were my 1st impressions as a 12 year old kid. I did take that 1st impression to the next level recently with my show. http://www.deadonlive.com/index.html
After that I'd have to say Europe 72 for me has my favorite songs. He's Gone, Ramble On Rose, Jack Straw. Beautiful. I think a lot is Keith Godchaux's feel on the piano that makes that era special to me.
mmuller
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby jkstraw » Wed May 11, 2011 11:52 am

Without a Net did it for me.....then a little Bear Choice
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby Laytonco » Wed May 11, 2011 2:23 pm

One from the Vault at the Great American Music Hall 1975 caught my very conservative sales manager. He actually borrowed the CD. So clean, tight, neat, country, etc. He said he really liked it. Of course, he took the first set. Blues for Allah might have turned him off.
Laytonco

Postby gr8fulbluz » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:19 am

erock wrote:american beauty for sure. this is from freaks and geeks (and that sound is off) but remember back to the first time you ever heard that album. that is what is going on in the scene
. . .
not that anyone here has ever done anything like that :D

oh my, I have that DVD box set and i never got to the end of freaks and geeks . I had no idea that was even there. Coolness gotta check it out, Thanks.

My first GD was live from the Mars Hotel, stolen, eh borrowed, from my big brother. He also had Sea Stones on 45 i believe that i used to borrow. But if it is worth anything American Beauty made me wanna play Dead on guitar. Reckoning is one my brother and i will play when around non heads for background tunes.
gr8fulbluz
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:55 am

Laytonco wrote:One from the Vault at the Great American Music Hall 1975 caught my very conservative sales manager. He actually borrowed the CD. So clean, tight, neat, country, etc. He said he really liked it. Of course, he took the first set. Blues for Allah might have turned him off.

Which of course was one of the most widely traded bootlegs of the 70's + 80's... probably the 2nd or 3rd show I ever had on cassette.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion