HELP NEEDED ON WINTERLAND SHIRT

HELP NEEDED ON WINTERLAND SHIRT

Postby whatsmynameagain » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:32 pm

I have an extremely old winterland shirt and need help identifying the people on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Obviously Jimi Hendrix and Mic Jagger but the others I havent a clue. Please let me know your thoughts on the guy in the middle and the people on the bottom left and bottom right corners, thanks!!!

whatsmynameagain
welcome
welcome

Re: HELP NEEDED ON WINTERLAND SHIRT

Postby jdsmodulus » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:32 pm

Well my first thought is why? Chances are they are just heads or musicians of the day that played there.
jdsmodulus

Postby whatsmynameagain » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:38 pm

Because I want to know who they are and I figured some of you that are big dead fans from way back might know. Of course they are people who played there but who are they? That is the question. The guy in the middle is maybe Robert Plant? I dont know but trying to figure out and need some help. Thanks!
whatsmynameagain
welcome
welcome

Postby Chuckles » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:56 am

Robert Plant in platform boots? Not likely.

Got no idea, and not entirely sure that a forum comprised of Dead-based musicians are going to know a lot more...

Though... bottom right might be Johnny Winter?
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:43 am

jdsmodulus wrote:Well my first thought is why? Chances are they are just heads or musicians of the day that played there.

Guy in the middle has to be somebody... I don't see pushing Jimi and Mick into the corners in favor of some random guy in platform boots.

Very cool shirt, that's a neat piece of history! I like this game, too. Johnny Winter is a decent guess, it does look like him.

Wikipedia lists the following bands as having played there, a lot of much newer acts than I would have expected.

Starting with a 1966 double bill of Jefferson Airplane and the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Bill Graham began to rent the venue occasionally for larger concerts that his nearby Fillmore Auditorium could not properly accommodate. After closing his New York City venue known as the Fillmore East in 1971, he began to hold regular weekend shows at Winterland. Various popular rock acts played there, including such bands and musicians as Bruce Springsteen, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Queen, Boston, Cream, Yes, KISS, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Steppenwolf, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Styx, The Allman Brothers Band, Grateful Dead, The Band, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Rush, Electric Light Orchestra, Genesis, Jefferson Airplane, Traffic, Golden Earring, Grand Funk Railroad, Humble Pie, Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Sha Na Na, Loggins and Messina, Lee Michaels, Heart, Deep Purple and Elvis Costello, the latter in support of his Armed Forces album. Many of the best-known rock acts from the 1960s and 1970s played at Winterland or played two blocks away across Geary Boulevard at the original Fillmore Auditorium. Peter Frampton recorded parts of the fourth best-selling live album ever, Frampton Comes Alive!, at Winterland. The Grateful Dead made Winterland their home base and The Band played their famous last show there on Thanksgiving Day 1976. That concert, featuring numerous guest performers including Neil Young, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, and many others, was filmed by Martin Scorsese and released in theaters and as a soundtrack under the name The Last Waltz. Winterland was also host to the Sex Pistols' final show on January 14, 1978.

Kind of sad to say it but the guy in the middle could easily be Peter Frampton. :shock:
Rusty the Scoob

Postby NashvilleMike » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:28 am

Maybe Mark Bolan from T-Rex?
It all rolls into one and nothing comes for free
There's nothing you can hold for very long
And when you hear that song come crying like the wind
It seems like all this life was just a dream
NashvilleMike
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby Lembic » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:15 pm

Bottom left is Leon Russell, Master Of Space And Time, looks like he is playing a bass.
Lembic
TC
TC

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:09 am

The guy with the top hat is either Leon Russel or Slash.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:37 am

[imp]http://www.obnoid.com/obnoid/john.jpg[/img]
Guy in the middle .... John Cipollina ???????
Maybe ?
:?:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby seamones » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:44 am

The guy in the middle is Ace Frehley. I can tell from the boots. This is a very rare early picture of him without makeup.
seamones
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby deadguise » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:46 am

That can't be Ace, it's Kenny G and it looks like he's holding a flute.... :lol:
deadguise

Postby Grateful Dad » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:57 am

deadguise wrote:That can't be Ace, it's Kenny G and it looks like he's holding a flute.... :lol:

If he's holding a flute could it be Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull? :idea:

It's either him or Mass. Senator John "Bring it On" Kerry's hippie twin brother.
:D
Grateful Dad
Phil
Phil

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:43 am

Doesn't seem like Ian Anderson... he's not in old fashioned long-johns and a ratty bathrobe. :drink: :lol:
Rusty the Scoob

Postby whatsmynameagain » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:17 pm

while they are good guesses, the guy in the middle is still unsolved. please pass it around to anyone you may know with knowledge of that venue or time period. WE HAVE TO FIND OUT!
whatsmynameagain
welcome
welcome

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:13 pm

Chuckles wrote: bottom right might be Johnny Winter?

+1, beat me to it.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion