So...Did Anyone Hear About The Nokia Disaster Last Night???

Talk about the recent Tours

Re: So...Did Anyone Hear About The Nokia Disaster Last Night

Postby Emoto » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:10 am

I'd sure hate to see Bobby go down to some form of abuse. This sucks.
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby jeffm725 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:04 am

While I have read all the threads that say he was unwittingly Dosed, he doesnt seem dosed to me. He may have had something unwittingly put in his drink, but I dont think it was L. He is staggering too much. L will do a lot of things but it doesn't make you stumble and stagger and lose balance like that.

It could have been anything, but I don't think it is from being ill/sick. Some kind of substance is causing that behavior, just will never know what. Many types of designer drugs could cause that, not to mention downers, narcotic type substances, as well as alcohol.

He was playing guitar sssslllloww, and stumbling, which is why I discount the L dosing. If it was the 70's still I would say it almost looke like a 'lude jag, but we will never know what it was (and maybe HE doesnt even know; if he was truly spiked) and we will never know whether is was self-inflicted or spiked (and if it was spiked whoever did it should be shot, I hate the game of dosing people unknowingly. Taking that kind of stuff is personal choice and should never be forced on someone. It is NOT funny).

Phil was kind in trying to protect his brother, but of course Phil was going to say it was unwitting. Even if Bobby got that polluted by his own hand, they are not going to say that is what happened.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby seamones » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:32 am

Why the hell did they have come out and start set 2 with Music in that state? Weird.
seamones
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby strumminsix » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:00 am

Jeffm, I like your line of deductive reasoning. In that same line (pun intended) I discount alcohol since I didn't hear him slurring. I've never known someone who is losing control of balance, hence muscles, not slur something fierce.

Having been the recipient of a spiked drink with with a tranq I can honestly say I recall my whole world slowing down and being in slow motion....

Regarding Phil... I can't see him protecting his brother if he got himself all fucked up. I guess after his trouble with alcohol, Jerry's addiction, watching ever keyboard player die or struggle as addicts til death he wouldn't put up with that shit anymore. I could be wrong.
strumminsix

Postby jeffm725 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:24 am

strumminsix wrote:Jeffm, I like your line of deductive reasoning. In that same line (pun intended) I discount alcohol since I didn't hear him slurring. I've never known someone who is losing control of balance, hence muscles, not slur something fierce.

Having been the recipient of a spiked drink with with a tranq I can honestly say I recall my whole world slowing down and being in slow motion....

Regarding Phil... I can't see him protecting his brother if he got himself all fucked up. I guess after his trouble with alcohol, Jerry's addiction, watching ever keyboard player die or struggle as addicts til death he wouldn't put up with that shit anymore. I could be wrong.

I agree with Phil having a low BS threshold after all that has happened. I think if it was Bobby himself that got to this state that Phil would be pissed, but would probably still not want to air the band "dirty laundry" publicly. Unified front and all that jazz....

And I agree with your opinion on the alcohol, he wasn't slurring his words. They simply did not come to him, and the few words that did were sung with a very soft voice, but not slurred.

Some kind of tranq absolutely lines up with the symptoms.

It is like a DeadHead soap opera/ mystery show!
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby jeffm725 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:52 am

on my way to GOTV ....just going tonight, might go back tomorrow for the Creek set..... nice thing about living close.... I dont have to camp!!! I am too old and too fat to be comfortable in a hot tent, and my camper is broken down :-( ............... anyway, I have all access passes, Im going to bring my sherlock holmes cap and pipe, and try and find out just what the heck went on at the nokia the other night :smile: ....I will try and post updates from on site with my BBerry.

Until then, your faithful Rukind investigative reporter signing out!
jeffm725

Postby mkaufman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:01 am

SOmeone else's post - this pretty much sums it up:

Last night in Times Square NYC Bob had probably the worst case of brain-fart he's ever experienced as a musician.
After a very good rendition of Shakedown to open the show, Bob badly messed up on Brown Eyed Woman. Initially Phil seemed to think it was humorous, you know Bobby screwing up lyrics as he's prone to do. But after being unable to get untracked later in the song, I must say that through my binoculars I detected a look of concern on Phil's face, and the same on Bob's OK so next they decide to do El Paso, a tune Bob has sung hundreds of times. Amazingly Bob couldn't remember ANY of the words, even announcing several minutes into an instrumental portion of the song, that he'd start again. But when he approached the mike he couldn't remember ANY of the words. From what I could see he looked almost frightened. He was definitely shaken, badly. The band played perhaps the only fully instrumental version of El Paso in their long storied history. For the rest of the first set, Bob appeared almost shaky and weak, both physically and vocally. It seemed as if he was barely playing anything substantial and that he was turned way down.
Going back to El Paso, I actually began to entertain thoughts that perhaps he was suffering a stroke. I'm not kidding, he is in his mid-60's, and I was fearful. there's no doubt that a weird kind of anxiety hung over the crowd for the remainder of the first set.
During intermission I heard people speculating that he was drunk, and that he was a drunk. That did not seem to be the case to me. He appeared ill.
Bob is a health nut I thought. He has the body of a vegetarian and someone who stays in fine shape. While I'm relatively certain he smokes a lot of weed, I don't think alcohol would fit into his healthy lifestyle.
After the break Bob seemed his old self, and a much stronger second set was played. Overall however this was probably the weakest Furthur show I've seen.
I sure hope tonight's MUCH better.
They owe us one.

---------

btw...he was a little better in the 2nd set. Still way below par.
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby waldo041 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:33 pm

mkaufman wrote:btw...if anyone cares...his Savage amp has been replaced by a McIntosh with meters (2105??).

mk

just spoke with the guy from mcintosh who sent bobby his new mcintosh MC2102 TUBE POWER amp!

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby Emoto » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:45 pm

waldo041 wrote:
mkaufman wrote:btw...if anyone cares...his Savage amp has been replaced by a McIntosh with meters (2105??).

mk

just spoke with the guy from mcintosh who sent bobby his new mcintosh MC2102 TUBE POWER amp!

peace,
waldo

What's one of those babies go for?
Emoto

Postby keirweir » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:13 pm

On the bright side.. Phils new Modulous sounds sweet

mkaufman wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX0BX7XHcwM

He didn't just forget the words. He couldn't read the teleprompter. He couldn't play. He almost fell over several times. He was out of it! I can deal with the occasional f-up w/ lyrics. This was a serious bummer. It would have been better if he hadn't shown up.

http://ratdog.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=258122
http://ratdog.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=258112

mk
keirweir

Postby Emoto » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:22 pm

I can't wade through those giant ratdog threads, was there any real info there about what was wrong?
Emoto

Postby phpbb » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:00 pm

Emoto wrote:What's one of those babies go for?

New: $6000.00
http://www.stereophile.com/tubepoweramps/429/

Used: $3500 on Ebay
phpbb

Postby NeebruM » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:18 pm

I am sorry to say it looked like a small stroke to me...
I hope he was just drinking, but it looked like more to me.

Anyway, evidently he is functioning again, regardless (which is unfortunately also part and parcel as well)

Best of thoughts Bob...
NeebruM
Keith
Keith

Postby JonnyBoy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:31 pm

It appears the next show he was on his game. Probably drank a bit too much.... maybe a drug, but either way he's not in the hospital and he did well 24hrs later.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby paulinnc » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:27 pm

He just looked really drunk to me.
paulinnc

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Tour Info