28 Years Ago Today

Talk about the recent Tours

28 Years Ago Today

Postby tcsned » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:32 am

28 years ago a 16-year old kid from Northern Virginia drove to Baltimore for a concert. I didn't know what to expect, had a couple of albums - Workingman's Dead and Dead Set I believe. I was blown away by what I heard that night. I think I knew about 4 tunes they played.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1982-0 ... .2316.shnf

My first show:
Set 1

Jack Straw
They Love Each Other
On The Road Again
Peggy-O
Cassidy
It Must Have Been The Roses
Little Red Rooster
Cumberland Blues
Man Smart (Woman Smarter)
Might As Well

Set 2

Feel Like A Stranger ->
Franklin's Tower ->
Estimated Prophet ->
Terrapin Station ->
Drums ->
Space ->
The Wheel ->
Truckin' ->
Stella Blue ->
Around And Around ->
Good Lovin'

Encore
Brokedown Palace
tcsned

Re: 28 Years Ago Today

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:44 am

Thats sweet Tom !
I'll have to look that one up.
Nice set list
Do you remember much of it ????
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby tcsned » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:59 am

I remember the crazy "Raven" space (I had just read Poe's "The Cask of Amontillado" for English class) and the couple of songs I knew - Cumberland Blues, Stranger/Franklin's, & Truckin' - I do remember the crazy dancing people :shock:

After that, I went out and found as much of their music as I could - and dragged a bunch of buddies to the Cap Centre show a few months later - the debut of "Touch of Gray" and the rest is history . . .
tcsned

Postby mijknahs » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:04 pm

That is a great show (as are the shows immediately preceeding and following this one - Hartford and Greek).
mijknahs

Postby willmusic » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:47 pm

That's very very cool! I'm listening to it right now, and yes, a great show indeed!
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Postby ugly rumor » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:43 pm

Without hearing it, I'm not sure I was there. My first show was Roanoke, Va. July 27, 1974. Makes the "A" list for bad shows, but I loved it. I only realized how bad it was many years later when I got a copy of the show. My first bootleg recording I made in Chicago April 19, 1975, at a theatre in a shopping mall of the Legion of Mary. Only got the second set, on a panasonic recorder under my jacket. Bootlegging was not exactly condoned, then, and I was stopped coming in, so had to leave the recorder out in a locker, but retrieved it at set break. You could actually leave the venue and return in those days. The music was great, and I wore those two tapes out before lending them to a friend who left them in his '57 Chevy when he sold it (he said...). Would love to have that show. I do have part of the next day in Milwaukee. Maybe I need to put it in now.....
Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go, we just ride...
ugly rumor
Bobby
Bobby

Postby tcsned » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:53 pm

ugly rumor wrote:Without hearing it, I'm not sure I was there. My first show was Roanoke, Va. July 27, 1974.

lol - I didn't know that they played the Star City in '74. I missed the '87 Roanoke shows as I was out west all summer - did catch some awesome Frost, Greek, & Eugene shows though.
tcsned

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:06 pm

happy anniversary Tom.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby tcsned » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:45 pm

JonnyBoy wrote:happy anniversary Tom.

thanks Jonny! and today is the 8th anniversary of my first date with my wife . . . of course, she wasn't my wife then :lol: yet another good reason to celebrate 4/20
tcsned

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:53 pm

I was gonna say... someone forgot "The Raven Space" in that setlist.

Really just Space w/ Phil getting goofy on the mic. This followed by one night the similar "Earthquake Space" in Hartford.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby ugly rumor » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:44 pm

Yes they did...send me your address and I'll copy it for you. They also hit Blacksburg in '78. Jerry fell over doing the Chuck Berry duckwalk during Johnny B. Goode. Everybody was pretty high that night. That one I do not have a copy of, but wish I did, as I may have been a little high, too. This was about the same time I gave up LSD, and probably a good part of the reason. Although I did revisit at the Phil show at the Fillmore in Denver in 2005, with excellent results. I think the perspective of age and wisdom made the experience much better. I highly recommend an occasional light dose now.
Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go, we just ride...
ugly rumor
Bobby
Bobby

Postby tcsned » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:24 am

tigerstrat wrote:I was gonna say... someone forgot "The Raven Space" in that setlist.

Really just Space w/ Phil getting goofy on the mic. This followed by one night the similar "Earthquake Space" in Hartford.

as it was my first show, I thought Phil did that every show :lol:
tcsned

Postby tcsned » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:38 am

ugly rumor wrote:Yes they did...send me your address and I'll copy it for you. They also hit Blacksburg in '78. Jerry fell over doing the Chuck Berry duckwalk during Johnny B. Goode. Everybody was pretty high that night. That one I do not have a copy of, but wish I did, as I may have been a little high, too. This was about the same time I gave up LSD, and probably a good part of the reason. Although I did revisit at the Phil show at the Fillmore in Denver in 2005, with excellent results. I think the perspective of age and wisdom made the experience much better. I highly recommend an occasional light dose now.

I have a good board recording of the Hokie show somewhere - not a spectacular show but reasonable. Black Peter was good from what I remember. That was 6 years before I got here, though from what I heard they played on parents weekend and that did not go over swimmingly with the university establishment and they were not asked back. A good friend worked on the concert committee back in the mid 80s and tried to get them back, the Dead were willing but they could not work out a date that worked with their tour.
tcsned

Return to Grateful Dead Tour Info