UNCONFIRMED: Bob and Phil have new band.

Talk about the recent Tours

Re: UNCONFIRMED: Bob and Phil have new band.

Postby strumminsix » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:30 am

I'd imagine Bob is adjusting as much in his mind as he is with his gear. It's been 14 years since he played with JG.

In that 14 years he's developed himself as the leader of Ratdog.
He's kept his sound as well as including some JGisms into RD.
Many of the other guitarists he has played with do not sound, play nor are tonally like JG.

He's wrapping his mind around JK playing all the JG licks some of which Bobby was doing.
Also JK's tone is similar to JG's and I can hear Bobby adjusting to that as well. And FX too.

That can be summed up as the RD vs GD sound of Bobby whereby the latter has been dormant for 14 years.

I hear very similar things with Phil be it the P&F vs GD - his approach, style and playing is very different.
I heard that loud and clear during The Dead shows in Chicago. Phil's style was more P&F than GD for sure.
strumminsix

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:56 am

When did Bob become the Anti-Christ ?????????
I dig Bobs antics.
Jerry would just stand there with his head down.
Bob is entertaining. Bob interacts with crowd. Spit flies !
Bobs been twisting knobs forever.No biggie.
JK speaks the language of Bob and Phil.
'bout time they stopped dancing around Jerry and instead Celebrate him by keeping the music alive ....
AND
it leaves an opening for one of us in DSO ...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby strumminsix » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:08 am

Tennessee Jedi wrote:When did Bob become the Anti-Christ ?????????

When Jerry became the Christ somewhere in the mid-80s I suppose.

And some say how he's a "lucky Bobby" to be in the GD to begin with while most GD fans I know love the dichotomy of JG and BW on stage.

Then it was cheezy Bobby and how awful that was while real GD admit to how much fun it was live at the shows!

Then it was "bad Bobby" for wanting to tour when EVERYONE knew JG was "clean" when not on the road and it was his fault for pushing it. :roll:

Oh, and it was "bad Bobby" for doing "Jerry songs" with RD.

And "horrible Bobby" for saying no SBD's on archive when having them there put them in breach of contract with the label and the GD lawyers said it had to be done.

The list goes on... The bottom line is simple - he's just not Jerry.
strumminsix

Postby caspersvapors » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:44 am

strumminsix wrote:I'd imagine Bob is adjusting as much in his mind as he is with his gear. It's been 14 years since he played with JG.

Many of the other guitarists he has played with do not sound, play nor are tonally like JG.

He's wrapping his mind around JK playing all the JG licks some of which Bobby was doing.
Also JK's tone is similar to JG's and I can hear Bobby adjusting to that as well. And FX too.

That can be summed up as the RD vs GD sound of Bobby whereby the latter has been dormant for 14 years.

I hear very similar things with Phil be it the P&F vs GD - his approach, style and playing is very different.
I heard that loud and clear during The Dead shows in Chicago. Phil's style was more P&F than GD for sure.

seriously, this band just started, give it a rest people
caspersvapors

Postby strumminsix » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:51 am

caspersvapors wrote:
strumminsix wrote:I'd imagine Bob is adjusting as much in his mind as he is with his gear. It's been 14 years since he played with JG.

seriously, this band just started, give it a rest people

What exactly should I give a rest to, dude? Saying that Phil & Bobby are finding their GD legs after so much time away? Seriously.
strumminsix

Postby Stevo123 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:12 am

I'd be interested to see how this group sounds together if they stuck together for a while and got their roles worked out. I'd rather not see Bob go "back in time" approach wise, because I like his new voice and style. I'm not sure how extensively this group plans on playing together, but if it does last I think it's really on JK to step up to the level of musicianship as the other guys and meet them where they're at now, as opposed to 20 years ago, and develop new approaches.
Stevo123
Mickey
Mickey

Postby strumminsix » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:54 am

Bingo, SteveO! You hit on a few other key components!

Would be fabulous to see where it could go! Bobby and Phil get more GD'ish without losing their growth over the past 15 years and John K step up to be more responsive to Phil & Bobby's current styles not 65-95 while also improving his solos to be more organic and free-flowing!
strumminsix

Postby waldo041 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:23 pm

strumminsix wrote: Bobby and Phil get more GD'ish without losing their growth over the past 15 years and John K step up to be more responsive to Phil & Bobby's current styles not 65-95 while also improving his solos to be more organic and free-flowing!

the one thing that i noticed that hindered this was the drummers or rather the drums in general. imo, they were a little too much and really left no room for the possibility of expanding or free flowing. my ears tended to pick them up as soloing instrument through most of the songs and jams. they need to be more backline and less intrusive during some of the songs or passages. not that they were awful, just too much of a drum solo thing for me. i'd rather see/hear Billy & Mickey bring that role into a tighter backline and let them loose in the Drums/Space or Space/drums segment WHEN THEY DO COME ONBOARD. at least i hope they do!
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Dozin » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:42 pm

There's one thing that I've learned in my last 25 years being a Head. Even if Jerry was playing we'd still be picking these guys apart.

I know Bobby's a cool cat with Ratdog. He goes by the name Chief because he's that, the Boss. When you sing all the songs in a band you might be just the leader of the band. I'm sure Bobby is taking on that role right now. He'll always be a tweaker. Is it rude sometimes, sure. I've been caught doing that and it takes away from the music when I'm not playing. For the most part Bob is pretty laid back. I've had some good discussions about it with AJ and MK, even the bus driver. They all say Bob is a great low key guy. He's been very kind to me too. Even if I was sitting in his chair :lol:

I know one thing for sure. There's no Warren and I couldn't be happier about that. It wasn't a good fit at any level. Boring "but that's me"

I agree with Waldo, bring back the Rhythm Devils!
Last edited by Dozin on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby Counterstriker » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:33 pm

Is the concert on Archives, I know there is a torrent but the computer I'm on doesn't allow it.
Counterstriker

Postby kenneybonz » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:33 am

Counterstriker wrote:Is the concert on Archives, I know there is a torrent but the computer I'm on doesn't allow it.

it's listed on dso's site
Hipsters, Tripsters, real cool chicksters, Everyone's doin' that rag.
kenneybonz
Billy
Billy

Postby kenneybonz » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:39 am

point taken maybeck and yea, dozin, yea, lol. bobby's antics are always gonna be there.. I only saw the clip, too, so i really got nothing to base it on other than that first impression. Jerry woulda messed with him, i think.
but just listening to the 19th's shows, especially the unbroken chain and the playing in the band... wow..
really, all in all, a hell of an effort, and like i saw right above, it's not like bobby's been playing that sound specifically the last 15 years..
phil sounded great too.. the drummers were a bit off or something like that too it seems..
bottom line: i'll see em on the east coast if that comes to pass.
It would be great to see em on the festival circuit once or twice, too
Hipsters, Tripsters, real cool chicksters, Everyone's doin' that rag.
kenneybonz
Billy
Billy

Postby strumminsix » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:46 am

kenneybonz wrote:Jerry woulda....

I hate these statements so much. You don't know that.
strumminsix

Postby Dozin » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:54 am

lol strummin'

What I noticed was Bob adjusted from his Ratdog tone which has a lot of sustain. To a sharper attack more traditional Bobby tone.
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby astroman99 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:16 am

Yes the drummers need to chill, that is an excellent point!
astroman99

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Tour Info