Expectations for Buffalo Show?

Talk about the recent Tours

Expectations for Buffalo Show?

Postby pjcenedella » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:39 am

To those who are going: What are you expecting? The setlists have been pretty wierd so far and I've read some mixed reviews on the band's playing. Thoughts?

P.S. Happy 4/20
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
pjcenedella
bruce
bruce

Re: Expectations for Buffalo Show?

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:55 am

I finally saw them last night - about 50' from Warren and close enough to see Phil's fingers.

I'd say it's good - not as great as some people say but not as bad as some other people say. It's an ambitious tour - they've rearranged a few jams a little and did have a screwup or two (big one coming out of the drum break at the end of Sampson) but it's well worth seeing. Bobby's energy was in and out but Phil and the drummers were on all night and Jeff Chimenti is awesome. Warren walks a fine line between approximating the role of Jerry musically but also staying true to himself. He's an interesting choice but a good one IMHO - they picked a strong personality rather than a Jerry clone. Above all, it's great to see the band together and having fun!
Rusty the Scoob

Postby RETURN » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:24 am

Well with the weather the way it is I'd say LLR and Box of rain are real possibilities. Eyes has not appeared yet. I was truley convinced that Buffalo would get the starnger opener so I'm now lost on what that could be. The sets have been weird but there really hasn't been a stand out cowboy list so there's also that possibility.

I didn't hear last night but as far as Sat. The set choice was outstanding but they seemed almost dis-interested at times. That Birdsong and China>rider were just a mess.
I hope they get some rest, maybe give us some repeats but for the most part I think this tour is now due for a straight up energized upbeat show. I'm crossing my fingers for that tomorrow.
Dry your eyes on the wind.
RETURN
Brent
Brent

Postby astroman99 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:43 am

Cold rain opener, Jack straw
I'll be listening from shows from 1979 on my couch, but hey have fun...
Good lovin
Hard too Handle
astroman99

Postby pjcenedella » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:20 am

i'll agree with that cold rain and snow opener...

return, you gonna be at the show? i'm really hoping for a great bertha, maybe 2nd set.

and they played terp station a few nights ago, but hopefully that wont stop them from busting it out tomorrow. maybe some good key work by chimenti.

its just really hard for me not to compare warren to jerry. anyone else having that problem?
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
pjcenedella
bruce
bruce

Postby RETURN » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:35 am

I will be there. My early thoughts were stranger opener, maybe Bertha and a late 1st set Birdsong.
Don't think that will happen with the exception of Bertha somewhere.
Looking back so far I'm thinking they have to repeat something. Terrapin, Shakedown those would be cool. Dark star will reappear sometime.

I was just talking with my bud and we decided we're going to stop wishing for songs and just look forward to a rockin show.

And I've been a fan of warren for a long time so I'm just keeping things in perspective.
RETURN
Brent
Brent

Postby wisedyes » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:09 am

I think our expectations for these shows should be mainly to go and have fun and a good time. Of course, they are charging enough to kind of justify putting on a quality performance, but it is the Dead, after all - never stopped 'em from laying an egg before. :roll:

Just enjoy it for what it is, and you may be lucky and catch a night that they're on and they took their Geritol that day.
Out of the loop? I didn't know there was a loop!
wisedyes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby mttourpro » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:35 am

I expect them to play as well as they can. I really like that they seem to be trying to mix up0 the "normal" lists/spots---they were doing that before on past tours as well--We'll get truckin for sure...and, I'm sure I'll get another repeat or 2 from NC.

It turns out that Pappy and I have plans (so he says) to sit in woth Workingman's Dead at Cozemel in Buffalo before the show---not sure of details/time, but maybe I'll get to meet one or 2 of you guys--if you're there stop by and say hi. MT
http://www.thecausejams.com

let your life proceed by its own design....
mttourpro

Postby RETURN » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:50 am

mttourpro wrote:I expect them to play as well as they can. I really like that they seem to be trying to mix up0 the "normal" lists/spots---they were doing that before on past tours as well--We'll get truckin for sure...and, I'm sure I'll get another repeat or 2 from NC.

It turns out that Pappy and I have plans (so he says) to sit in woth Workingman's Dead at Cozemel in Buffalo before the show---not sure of details/time, but maybe I'll get to meet one or 2 of you guys--if you're there stop by and say hi. MT

Cool. I know one of their guitar players Kevin. They're just getting going around here but have been working hard at building a name. Don't think I'll be able to get to Coz in time but have fun and I hope the weather takes a 180 so you can play outside.

I think a truckin encore is a strong possibility for sure.
RETURN
Brent
Brent

Postby hogan » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:32 pm

Buffalo expectations:
it will rain
I will meet new musician types from another state
I will play music before the show
i may buy a ticket to the show
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby mttourpro » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:25 pm

hogan wrote:Buffalo expectations:
it will rain
I will meet new musician types from another state
I will play music before the show
i may buy a ticket to the show

May buy a ticket??

Even if you're practically broke you oughtta try to hard to get in....as, you MAY be chapped if you don't get in, as you MAY not get another chance to see this band, and you MAY wish for a long time that you did. Just my 2 cents.
http://www.thecausejams.com

let your life proceed by its own design....
mttourpro

Return to Grateful Dead Tour Info