St. Stephen
Revolution
Help on the Way >
Slipknot! >
Franklin's Tower

E:
Samson and Delilah

Yo 'Pro
What was your take on the Philly shows ?
Have a good time ?
Thumbs up thumbs down ?
peace
Tennessee Jedi

Re: Setlists 2009

Postby krzykat » Mon May 04, 2009 11:58 am

the shows were off the hook! Too bad the nitrous mafia attacked security during the show second night cuz they would have let us rage.
surprised that no one stopped by the booth also, we were right on shakedown. anyway had a great time this tour
Last edited by krzykat on Mon May 04, 2009 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krzykat

Postby mttourpro » Mon May 04, 2009 12:02 pm

Yo 'Pro
What was your take on the Philly shows ?
Have a good time ?
Thumbs up thumbs down ?
peace

I was gonna keep this thread all setlists, but, I'll bite. Here's a basic review.

Friday--took the bus into the lot. First time ever riding the bus to a show. Subway, trolleys, hitchhiked, but never a bus. Seemed like a good omen though.
Met up with lots of old friends and had a great time before the show. No problems whatsoever in the lot to my knowledge. Had a tix for friday--sat Phil's side, even with the stage 18 rows up---kinda weird vantage point but it was actually a cool seat and the sound was quite good. Highlights for friday IMHO were,
Playin, New Speedway, HTH, FOTD. Everything was very well played though. No clams/major issues. Gopod energy throughout the entire show.
Security in the venue was very Head-friendly to say the least.
Alligator>Caution was perhaps the highlight of all 4 shows I saw for me personally. The jam was just SICK! A must listen IMO. Warren messed up the vox/lyrics in Alligator somewhat, but the jam was STELLAR.
Mickey simply went ape shit in Drums. He was en fuego. Of note, during FOTD, Billy left the kit and his roadie played while he pissed! No kidding.
Loose Lucy bored me somewhat--well played but too slow and long IMHO.

Come a Time was NAILED by Warren. Just beautifully done by the whole band. Very impressive to say the least.
Cold Rain was rockin---very nice version.
Sugar Mags>SSDD was good...but, eh. I wouldda rather seen something else--that's just me I think.
Box was flawless but lost a little energy about 3/4 of the way through....all in all---an excellent show.

Sat nite---I see even more friends and had another great time in the lot all day. Randomly parked right next to my best old tour-buddy's crew from SC at 4pm. Synchronicity from the get-go.
I had no ticket and it was getting late. I'm POUNDING the pavement and asking people to help me keep my 28 year no shutout streak alive----couldda bought a ticket for 150--offered 120. Guy says no dice---I keep looking and asking....total sellers market and there was only one person who'dve sold me their extra in a half hour of looking---I keep looking and asking and now it's about 7:25, I ask this dude (total stranger)who says he "kinda" might have a ticket. Turns out he has fake all access laminates. We talk a while and he decides he can get me in with him....I had decent clothes on (brown Hershey 85 T shirt and jeans), no tie-dye, etc....long story short, I proceed on the adventure of all adventures of my getting into shows and, lo and behold, we're in for FREE!!!!!! SICK!!!! Came in through VIP and skirted around backstage to emerge in this weird dining area and then down some steps and wella, we're into the show! They barely even looked at these laminates.
I buy him 2 beers and hang with him the whole first set. Thank you again Greg if you're reading this.....

He's Gone>UJB>Mason's were first set highlights IMO. Everything was VERY well done just like Friday---they were playing very well and the crowd was loving it. It was also about 98 degrees and I was sweating like a pig during most of the show.

Good Lovin was well done with the old intro and nice jam too..Cumberland was EPIC---perhaps the best song they're doing this tour in some people's opinion. This one was very hot I thought. Cryptical was nice and they didn't do it like they did at MSG which was just strange and not so enjoyable. Other One was good too and led into another good D>S.

Everything post space was, as the kids say---Off the Hook.
Dew got an ovation that was just unbelievable and the band had to literally stop and take it in before they could keep playing. Phil gave Bob a fist pump deal-io and they were clearly loving the crowd energy and response. St Stephen was epic as was the second H>S>F I saw...They seemed pretty tenative going into franklin's--likely because they just played it 2 shows prior and perhaps wanted to do something else?? I read that someone saw the setlist and it ended without a H>S>F on it...so, I assume they threw that in last second like.
I think the crowd was so up for these shows that the band just couldn't help but to play as inspired as it's gonna get. We did our part and they did their's just like it's supposed to be when it's that good.

I give both shows a 5 star rating and reccomend giving them a listen.

My guess is that the West Coast are in for some good shows to say the least now that they're really playing well.
http://www.thecausejams.com

let your life proceed by its own design....
mttourpro

Postby mttourpro » Mon May 04, 2009 11:29 pm

The Dead
Monday, May 4, 2009
Allstate Arena
Rosemont, IL

Set I:
chinacat>
born cross eyed
built to last
pride of cucamunga
miracle>
wang dang doodle
west la
liberty
watchtower

Set II:
mexicali@
into the mystic@
peggy o@
hard rain@>
space>
drums>
space>
iko
standing on the moon>
gdtrfb

encore
donor rap
imagine
box of rain

mttourpro

Postby strumminsix » Tue May 05, 2009 10:44 am

Last night, 5/4, was freakin' amazing.

edited to add.....

Set I:
jam>
chinacat>
born cross eyed
built to last
pride of cucamunga
miracle>
wang dang doodle
west la
liberty
watchtower

Set II:
mexicali@
into the mystic@
peggy o@
hard rain@>
space>
drums>
space>
iko
standing on the moon>
gdtrfb

encore
donor rap
imagine
box of rain
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick review.... Show was absolutely amazing. The band played tight, everyone looked like they were having fun, the music was tasty, first set songs were played in the second set with a second set feel and second set songs were played in the first set with a first set feel! Bizarre! I loved it!

A very quick jam lead swiftly into the carnivalesque intro notes for Chinacat. They moved their way through the transition jammed, Bobby calls out an audible, the machine slow switches gears and the BAM bum ba bum ba da da DUM! Born-cross eyed! BTL was tasty and surprising! Pride was amazing! Phil sounded great! Miracle was fun and lively! the WWD was kept simple, loose and groovy! WLA was rather monotinous til half-way in when they finally remembered how to kick it in the ass! Then WOW! Liberty was beautiful! Bobby sang it with such soul! Watchtower - surprise ending for set I, even more surpised Warren sang it!?

Wonderful acoustic opener! w00t! Mexacili was a blast! Mystic was a sweet surprice, peggy o had a sweet groove. Hard rain is what it is. To me a monotonous song til the chorus then I love it! then the next verse i get bored and the chorus line and love it! D>S>D were amazingly fun! So lively, so much energy, so much goodness! Iko was great coming out! STOM really was a tear jerker! And the GDTRFB had a 70s feel ending where they kept throwing more energy into it!

Interesting they include a Phil and a Bobby in the 3rd set. Phil gets the donor rap and bobby the bow. Imagine was good if you like the song. I really don't but they played it well and nice harmonies. We left just before imagine ended since most of the tour was a 1 song encore then ran back in for Box and man did he do it up nicely!!!!!

We had an especially good time sitting in the box seats. That put us about stage level just above the the short first teir, closer than the SBD and was able to see so clearly, private bathroom, waitress bringing in 6 packs at a time, no crowds, no muss, no fuss and a great crew! Amazing!!!!
strumminsix

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue May 05, 2009 11:23 am

strumminsix wrote:Last night, 5/4, was freakin' amazing.

Dude - dont leave us hanging !!!!!!!!!
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby mttourpro » Tue May 05, 2009 12:28 pm

from someone I do not know on another board---I thought this was fairly well written and someone might want to see it......

Lot scene was surprisingly mellow and largely wookfree. Not a huge scene by any means and not a large variety of goods either. I did get a tie dye onesie for my new baby. There seemed to also be an element of people not necessarily that familiar with the dead thing and getting their first taste of things (which is all fine and good).

The china cat opener was alright, wasn't really taking me anywhere too much and the transition into born crosseyed wasn't really seemless by any means, but you have to hand it to the guys for trying to shake things up with setlists that are unusual and reaching for something new. The jam out of the BCE'd was going places, nice spacey places which is another element to this band worth noting. Lots of meltdownish jamming. It's also not the same old pointless jamming, but more focused than previous outings.

As for the Built To Last, I have to give props to Warren. The man is in fine voice and does the Jerry songs with justice. I, for whatever reason have difficulty appreciating Bobby or Phil singing the Jerry songs, it just doesn't really sound right to my ears, but Warren takes those songs and it sounds good to me. He does have strong vocal chops and he does put his own spin on it, so to me it's good stuff.

The Pride of Cucamonga was great and Phil and Warren have a tight musical connection that really came thru on the blues oriented jam section of this song. The set was really starting to pick up quite a bit of momentum at this point and I think bobby hit it out of the park with the I Need A Miracle in the next slot. It was a great choice of tunes at the right time and the crowd responded in kind. The Wang Dang took a bit of getting used to with the new arrangement on it that did not rely on the traditional riff as much.

I enjoy the way Warren is able to hang back and let Bobby do his thing. Bobby's guitar is very audible and the interplay between him and Warren is getting very strong. I've enjoyed listening to the progression of this tour and to witness it last night was confirmation that this band is pretty tight. I am a big fan of Weir's rhythm prowess and the fact that Warren gives him tons of room to do his thing has been cool.

The West LA was a slow darkish groove that slithered around into some dark places. Bobby and Warren sharing the vocal parts was pretty cool too. I was glad that they had enough respect for eachother to share like that. I enjoyed this one and the jam section between the verses seemed to last forver because it was at such a slow pace.

Which leads me to my thoughts about Chimenti. Previously, for whatever reason I did not really appreciate his playing. However, on this tour he has proved me wrong. What a great keyboard rig he has going with a baby grand piano, B3, Fender Rhodes and synth. The B3 he's swirling to some great places, and on the piano he's been quite tasteful even sounding Keithesque. He's definitely the right fit for this band and in general everything sounds right in this band with no instrument dominating too much and everything pretty balanced. I guess I could be more happy with a bit more Phil in the mix, but just a touch and everything does sound very balanced and Jeff is a significant factor in that.

I enjoyed the Liberty and really would have been happy with the set ending on that song, as I thought the Watchtower was sort of over the top, but the crowd seemed to really appreciate Warren's searing leads on this one.

The acoustic set was pretty cool, though I think it sort of sucks the energy out of the start of the second set to start it with an acoustic set. I'm more in preference to seconds sets that start out with a bang. It did have it's moments and Warren on the Into the Mystic is very cool to me. Bobby's choice of Mexicalli quite appropo.

The drums section was a similar theme that they've been doing on this tour. It added Jeff on some synth stuff and had sort of a drone theme happening in it. I have been more impressed with some of the other drum segments, but this one was highlighted with Mickey on the beast beating the big drums with vigor. In general, I thought the RD's were not 100% on top of their game at this show with some endings sort of blown by the drummers and some extra beats thrown in here and there. They didn't blow the show by any means, but they weren't as focused as the rest of the band imo.

Aiko was not what I was necessarily happy seeing, but it got the crowd moving and Bobby ended the tune well. Warren did do justice to the Standing on the Moon. He was great on that one imo. GDTRFB was a rocking closer. However, this second set didn't really do it for me in general. It was alright, but by the encore, I was sort of on the fence about how much I wanted to stay there and how much I wanted to go to bed. The Imagine encore wasn't really what was going to keep me there, so I started heading out. I stayed for the Box encore, but I was mostly out of the building by that point.

I woke up this morning feeling pretty refreshed and energetic, so in general that show did it's job. It does leave me wanting a little more though, so despite the fact that I really thought I would not go to the show today, I am vying for ways to get me to the show again tonight. Though with a newborn at home, the chances are slim, I'm going to give it a try.

mttourpro

Postby mttourpro » Tue May 05, 2009 9:57 pm

The Dead
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
Allstate Arena
Rosemont, IL

Set I:
dancin'>
tenn jed
golden rd
mr charlie
they love each other
touch
WRS>
let it grow

Set II:
truckin'>
throwing stones
unbroken chain>
drums>
space>
come together>
hell in a bucket>
i know you rider

encore:
donor rap
brokedown

mttourpro

Postby strumminsix » Thu May 07, 2009 12:01 pm

Quick corrections
The Dead
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
Allstate Arena
Rosemont, IL

Set I:
Jam>
dancin'>
tenn jed
golden rd
mr charlie
they love each other
touch
prelude> WRS> let it grow

Set II:
truckin'>
throwing stones
unbroken chain>
drums>
space>
come together>
hell in a bucket>
i know you rider

encore:
donor rap
brokedown
strumminsix

Postby mttourpro » Thu May 07, 2009 2:41 pm

Here's a link to Imagine from Chicago....quality is lacking and it is SLOW to say the least. There's a bunch of other vids from the tour on the page as well. Check out the New Potatoe from Greensboro. Pretty tripped out stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBwTGci5 ... re=related

mttourpro

Postby mttourpro » Fri May 08, 2009 9:16 am

5/7/2009 Pepsi Center, Denver, CO

I:
Feel Like a Stranger
Casey Jones
Loser
Easy Wind
Crazy Fingers
Lost Sailor >
Saint of Circumstance

II:
Deep Elem Blues@
Me and My Uncle@
Whiskey in the Jar@
The Weight@
Space >
Ramble On Rose >
King Solomon's Marbles >
Space > Drums >
China Doll >
Cumberland Blues >
Not Fade Away

E: Ripple
Only ''Whiskey in the Jar''

this list above is from one site and...

this list below is from another

The Dead
May 7, 2009
Pepsi Center
Denver, CO

Set I:

Feel Like A Stranger
Casey Jones
Loser (Bobby & Warren)
Easy Wind (Warren-vocals)
Crazy Fingers
Lost Sailor>
Saint Of Circumstance

Acoustic Set:

Deep Elem Blues @
Me & My Uncle @
Whiskey In A Jar @ (Phil- Vocals)
The Weight @
"Happy Birthday Billy" flashing on the video screens

Set II:

Space
Crowd singing "Happy Birthday to Billy"
Ramble On Rose
King Solomon's Marbles
Space
Drums
China Doll (Warren-vocals)
Cumberland Blues
Not Fade Away
Donor Rap

Ripple

@ Phil ~ electric bass
Jeff ~ piano
Mickey & Billy ~ small set
Warren & Bobby ~ acoustic guitars

mttourpro

Postby mttourpro » Sun May 10, 2009 7:50 pm

5/9/2009 The Forum, Inglewood, CA

I:
Viola Lee Blues >
Bertha > Viola Lee Blues >
Caution >
Viola Lee Blues
Black Peter
Cosmic Charlie

II:
Jam >
Shakedown Street >
New Speedway Boogie >
Scarlet Begonias >
Fire on the Mountain
Drums > Space >
Dark Star >
Wharf Rat >
Dark Star >
Satisfaction

E: One More Saturday Night

mttourpro

Postby jjbankhead » Mon May 11, 2009 10:54 am

05/10/2009

I MISSED GETTING THE GOOD LOVIN IN

i was noting these in my cell phone while they played so i know i missed the good lovin and couldn't remember where it fell after the show, just remember it being in the first set. so if anybody else remembers or has a different list i would trust theirs over mine

prefaced by bobby promising because they had to wait for the people to get in(security/safety issues) they got the ok to play well into the night!

here is what i got:
SET 1
help on the way/slip/franklins/slip teaser
Cassidy
(i think this is where good lovin happened)
Bird Song ( I couldn't remember the name of this tune at the show and kept calling it snow and rain)
Uncle John's band

SET 2
Unbroken Chain
Eleven/otherone (super long jam)
funk jam
firedancers-drums (they had these women dancing with fore during drums pretty damn cool)
space
sugaree
Shelter (the stones tune)
Sugar Magnolia/ sunshine day dream

Set 3/ encore (long for an encore)
phils rap
St stephen
Cryptical envelopment/ random tease of foxy lady that was a shocker-jam/crypt evnv
touch of grey

I really had a blast at this show, i may have missed a song or two but other than the good lovin being mis placed i think i nailed it.

my thoughts were that they really played well. Warren was really subtle and blended really well in the first set, the warren came out quite a bit more in the second set in sugaree and shelter, his bluesy licks were welcomed to my ears though.

classic bobby blow it moment during st stephen he came in singing early during a jam. and i thought bobby singing Touch of grey was a bit choppy and warren singing was more smooth, felt closer to Jerry's voice if you can imagine that. Also phils voice was more mello this time around he sounded really good, i am not a hater of Phil singing but i think sometimes he struggles this round he did not.
jjbankhead
Mickey
Mickey

Postby tigerstrat » Mon May 11, 2009 11:02 am

Bizarre- I watched a webcast from the end of Sugar Mag, and the encore went: Stephen><short interruption>The 11><short interruption> Touch
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby mttourpro » Mon May 11, 2009 11:31 am

5/10/2009 Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, CA

I:
Help on the Way >
Slipknot! >
Franklin's Tower
Good Lovin
Cassidy
Bird Song
Uncle John's Band

II:
Unbroken Chain >
The Other One >
Drums > Space >
Sugaree >
Gimme Shelter >
Sugar Magnolia

E:
St. Stephen >
The Eleven
Touch of Grey

mttourpro

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Tour Info