The Dead @ Penn State

Talk about the recent Tours

Postby Pete B. » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:19 am

Just tuned in to Archive and am listening to Truckin' now.
Who is playing the B-Bender Tele?

The horror.
The horror.

:shock:
Pete B.

Postby Emoto » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:26 am

What does "B Bender" mean?
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby Candyman1984 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:29 am

The show was so tight-i don't think i have ever seen anything like it. At first i thought it was a little rumbley tumbley-warren needed to find his chops after going at 100 miles an hour during allman bros set. But once he slowed down and found his space it was unreal. Help>Slip>Franklins was sick. The dark star was super cool and out there somewhere in outerspace. And when they followed st. stephen with unbroken chain i almost peed myself. Chimenti was great on keys, i really like his style of playing. Bobby played his ass off and i agree his tone was perfect. It just shined on through. Watching Billy and Mickey work there magic was amazing. Thye both of them are just so smooth. Phil was pumpin' all night and though i was in section 213 about as far away as one could be, I could tell they were all having a blast.
On another note-i had no trouble with the cops or ushers. I dont even think my section had ushers-i rolled dubanskis and smokethed them often and openly all night long. Sorry to hear some were not so lucky.
I basically think this was one of the coolest things i have ever seen. It was pure magic and i wasn't even tripping or drinking. Just sat back and enjoyed the ride. I hope they play more shows next spring and summer- i will be there for sure!
Also, KRZYKAT- were you the one with the Viola Lee Blues hoodies? If so you got my forty bucks and it shrank when i washed it-you owe me big time if so! just kidding. An Awesome night all around!
-james
Would you please remove your rubber duckie from my guacamole...Thanks!
Candyman1984
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:57 am

A b-bender is a device that dudes put on tele's that bends a note ( the "b" maybe ? I dont know)kinda pedal steel-lish I guess..I think its operated with your hip -maybe you lean into it ?
I think Clarence White of the Byrds used one.
I've never used one but they seem cool.
When are we gonna see a Pete B. pedal steel vid ?

:cool:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Emoto » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:05 am

Tennessee Jedi wrote:A b-bender is a device that dudes put on tele's that bends a note ( the "b" maybe ? I dont know)kinda pedal steel-lish I guess..I think its operated with your hip -maybe you lean into it ?

Interesting. Never heard of that. Thanks.
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:15 am

I got no illusions about the Dead being where they once were but I thought the show was decent.
I should have gone.
:roll:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby RETURN » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:28 am

I listened last night. Wow, just WOW :smile:

Thanks for posting the link
Dry your eyes on the wind.
RETURN
Brent
Brent

Postby pappypgh » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:50 am

Tennessee Jedi wrote:A b-bender is a device that dudes put on tele's that bends a note ( the "b" maybe ? I dont know)kinda pedal steel-lish I guess..I think its operated with your hip -maybe you lean into it ?

Er....nope.

A "B-Bender" is specific to the Telecaster. It consists of a mechanism that is tied in from the TOP guitar strap peg all the way to the bridge of the "B" string. It DOES give it a pedal steel effect, but you accomplish it by pulling the guitar away (down) from the strap. Apparently, Pete B doesn't like it too much? I don't think it's that bad.
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby pappypgh » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:02 am

Here's my review (sorta cut & pasted from what I put on Dead.net, but this one is better!)

Bob Weir came out without any fancy stuff...ES335 clean with NO effects and crushed it. Warren & Jeff were there purely for color and that's exactly how it should have been - BUT, only if the core 4 would step up. And, they did. Phil needed more "bottom" in his sound - I'm not too sure I dig that new weird bass - I thought Alfonso sounded better, tonewise, than Phil...which is weird to even say.

Mickey & Billy drove all night long. From the first song, that band was ON.

They start with "Truckin'"...okay, light selection, but let's have at it. Weir's guitar is louder than usual and he's playing REALLY well. Great energy from all 4 - Billy's smile is HUGE (as it was all night long). Nice little interlude in between the 2 sets of verses, Bobby actually plays lead guitar through it, as the band just jams in E behind him. Nice licks and it's sounding like the Dead. The jam into "US Blues" is good and - again, another light-hearted selection. Now, I'm thinkin' that's how the rest of the night's list will play out...which is okay, I guess, but not what I was hoping for.

"Help On The Way." THAT'S what I was hoping for. Good solo by Warren, followed by a GREAT Fender Rhodes solo by Jeff...and I mean GREAT. Really nice "Slipknot!" with the band kinda losing the "1" towards the end, so Bobby leads the band at this point, turns around and gathers them all in an instant, to the outtro riff before heading back into the main "Slipknot!" riff....sick. Great job by Bob and now they are REALLY getting tight. "Franklin's" was expected - and it was pretty good. Phil vocals...nothing fancy - the jams were okay...no real huge peaks, but well-played.

"Playin' In The Band"! Great call and again - Bobby is leading the band sweetly....nice intro, gathers them all up, counts "7,8,9..." and they're off. Good big jam into "Dark Star", which was SICK. A COLOSSAL jam. This is the point of the show that I simply cannot fathom a DeadHead not enjoying this show. This jam was PURE DEAD. It reached EPIC proportions of psychedelia (and I was not on ANY...just a bit of mighty fine green). Bobby, Phil, Mickey & Billy just ripping off of each other and built it into a frenzy. It looked like they didn't even realize Warren & Jeff were onstage - eventhough their input to this jam was great.
Dark Star ENDED....kinda weird, but I was not about to ask questions at this point! Help > Slip > Franklin's, Playin' > Dark Star? My call was "Saint Stephen"!

I was right! REALLY well-played. GREAT, BIG jam before the last verse...Bobby led the band again to switch time signatures over to 4/2....VERY nice - a perfect way to segue to "The Eleven," but to no avail....it would be Phil's call and a beautiful rendition of "Unbroken Chain." I was VERY impressed with the tightness of the core 4 again. Now, I heard they soundchecked this song along w/ St. Stephen & Dark Star, but even still - well done!!!

"The Other One." GREAT call - you know it's gonna lead towards the end of the show, but a lot of fun jamming in this one. Bob on guitar - one word....sickleberry. Warren played great, as well - but again - the core 4 really doing what they've done best for SO many years....

"Throwin' Stones," always seems to let the air out of the bag....a great song and I love it, but you know the fun is coming to an end REALLY soon now! A pretty hot version. Bob's guitar is even LOUDER by this point (I think it came up a bit more in "The Other 1") and the band is tight....just SO tight!!!! A GREAT improv jam comes at the end of "spinnin', spinnin' free..." and it's a nice 4-5 minutes of jamming before they head back into the "Playin' reprise."

Donor Rap / Weir Rap right into "Touch Of Grey." Good pace, good energy and I thought that was it - THANK YOU BOYS for going into "Not Fade Away." As good as Touch was, it wasn't played HOT enough to close this insane show. The NFA was killer. First jam was GREAT - the 2nd jam was not quite as stellar.

Mickey says a few words, thanks everyone - then the lights come on.

I had an absolute blast. Did I miss Jerry? HELL YES. But not because the band was lacking - the core 4 played hot and I enjoyed the color that Warren & Jeff added. I missed Jerry because I thought he'd be having a BALL at this show. Screw the "WWJD?" political stuff - this show was hot and he would have really enjoyed it. I know I did.

A couple of side notes:

For those who will inevitably listen to the recordings, I would imagine some will say, "Eh...it sounds okay," and some will say, "Sounds pretty good, wish I had gone." I will say this:

I've been to probably 20 shows since Jerry's passing - a few "The Other Ones / The Dead", a few Rat Dog, a few P&F....the energy and level of play of the core 4 was never better than it was Monday night. Bob Weir was SO freakin' tasty on that guitar. Sure, he flubbed some lyrics (including the 1st 2 lines of "Help On The Way" - DUDE! How do you forget "Paradise waits"??!!! :lol: ), but that did not matter. The level of tight improvisation going on between Bobby, Phil, Mickey & Billy was simply astounding. And they were having SO much fun with each other....that was quite apparent.

I will retract my earlier statements that Warren Haynes was too busy a choice for this show. He played very subdued - I was glad to see him on a Tele for most of the show, as it put him a bit "thinner" in the mix. He played some great Warren licks and had some really hot solos, of course. But he didn't dominate the show and didn't even try - so hat's off to WH for that! The main focus was on the core 4...perfectly done.

If they do a tour, I'll be surprised. I probably would attend a show if they played here in the 'Burgh, but I don't think I'd travel for it - not because it wouldn't be worth it, but because it might diminish the "specialness" of this past show for me. They were hot, kids. REAL hot. I am SO happy I went.

I want to hear THEIR recording of this show. I don't think any audience recordings will do this show much justice.

Also - I had NO problems w/ the cops. Burned a MONSTROUS fattie (courtesy of mttourpro!) during Dark Star (in my opinion that song was the highlight of the night).

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:31 am

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
A b-bender is a device that dudes put on tele's that bends a note ( the "b" maybe ? I dont know)kinda pedal steel-lish I guess..I think its operated with your hip -maybe you lean into it ?

Cool

Er....nope.

Pappy check out this link
http://www.hipshotproducts.com/faqs/view/60
Its a different design then the one you mentioned.Probably not what he used though - so you are right again! Those Penguins own the Flyers,too.With 10.08 secs left ! In overtime !
:smile:
Nice review of the show.
Now I'm even Sorrier I missed it ....
Tennessee Jedi

Postby pappypgh » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:10 pm

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
Tennessee Jedi wrote:

Cool

Er....nope.

Pappy check out this link
http://www.hipshotproducts.com/faqs/view/60
Its a different design then the one you mentioned.Probably not what he used though - so you are right again! Those Penguins own the Flyers,too.With 10.08 secs left ! In overtime !
:smile:
Nice review of the show.
Now I'm even Sorrier I missed it ....

Hehe....I was AT the game last night - and stayed till the end. I took my daughter and we got hooked up with the FSN (FoxSportsNet) LUXURY box. SICKLEBERRY!!!!! Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupuis!!!
www.theCAUSEjams.com

pappypgh

Postby jonarobb » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:08 pm

Parsons/White Benders could go on any guitar at the time. Initially went on Clarence White's Tele when he was in The Byrds. I've seen it on any number of guitars.

BTW, Clarence White is a sick guitarist, both acoustic with The Kentucky Colonels and electric w/The Byrds. Fastest and tastiest flatpicker there was...
Last edited by jonarobb on Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonarobb

Postby jonarobb » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:17 pm

I simply say again these guys really smoked....

There was no B-Bender, I think Warren played the Les Paul all night. I hardly watched him. He was doing some Slash style full step bend, double stops, but he kept it tasteful....

I haven't seen Weir play so aggressively in years. It really reminded me what a showman he is. Nothing like his Ratdog schtick. He really switched into Grateful Dead mode for this one.

Help>Slip>Franklins was just goo-goo good. Bobby was tossing in some sweet China Cat licks on Franklin's like he used to do back in the day.

There's alot to be thankful for that these guys got together. I'm looking forward to more....
Last edited by jonarobb on Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonarobb

Postby Pete B. » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:37 pm

That's cool...
I like a guy who can "bend them strangs" under his own power!
On Truckin' it sounded like I heard a few out of place B-bender Licks go by a coupla times, and feared the worse...
'that for the next ten years Bobby is going to learn B-Bender Tele licks... on stage. :smile:

I just played along with most of the show, playing an unplugged 7-string electric, along with Archive.
Time well spent! (I'm supposed to be fixing a leaky tub faucet today.?.)

"It's a wonder we have any fans at all."
Pete B.

Postby pappypgh » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:52 pm

jonarobb wrote:There was no B-Bender, I think Warren played the Les Paul all night.

Warren played a Telecaster for MOST of the Dead's set. He switched to a Les Paul for a couple of songs in the middle of the set, then back to the Tele. It was a tobacco-burst w/ black pickguard. I thought it was a cool choice of sound for him.

Weir was, indeed, the man. He played with that '73 - '74 vigor and tone....SWEEET!!! :cool:
www.theCAUSEjams.com

pappypgh

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Tour Info