P&F/ABB Merriwehter

Talk about the recent Tours

P&F/ABB Merriwehter

Postby Chuckles » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:40 am

Just got back from the opening night of the tour...

Never had seen either of these acts before, believe it or not.

Phil & Co. ripped through Stephen > The 11, a great Cassidy, etc... Throeing Stones was BORING! Jackie sand it like he was on 'ludes.

But ABB stole the show. Warren and Derek (dare I say it?) are better than anything I ever heard from Duane and Dickie. Just absolutely magnificent players.

While P&F was all about the ensemble playing - which I loved - ABB was about featuring masterful playing. Mountain Jam > Dazed & Confused > Mountain Jam was a trip to behold! Dreams was amazing. Les Bres was a welcome #2 tune. All in all, a great evening!
:D
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby mttourpro » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:09 pm

I thought about getting down to MMP for that show but never followed through. Sounds like it was a pretty good show. I was wondering what's up with MMP? I thought it was supposed to be turned into condos or something about 2 years ago.

Saw the 85 GD shows there and several others over the years. Used to be a very cool venue all around.
Last couple times though, it was pretty tight with security and I haven't been back.

What's the deal these days?
http://www.thecausejams.com

let your life proceed by its own design....
mttourpro

Postby Chuckles » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:49 pm

It was pretty laid back. No smoking in the pavillion (fire hazard), but you could pretty much go anywhere else and hang out. Security was almost unnoticable.

Chuckles

Postby mttourpro » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:53 pm

That's good to hear chuckles. So, I guess they're not turning it into condos then?

mttourpro

Postby ronster » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:26 pm

Chuckles, I to was there and my take this morning was that I had way to many 24oz Stellas. We were out in the lawn tokin and drinking without hassle. Phil played great tunes and they tore it up but that was the problem, they pounded out great tune after great tune but never really moved me until Jackie Green did Sugaree as the encore. That guy is amazing. Not a fan of Larry Campbell at all. The Allman Brothers were excellent and aside from the Sugaree they did steal the show but as headliners can you call it stealing? Derek Trucks on Stormy Monday and Warren doing The Weight stood out for me along with Mountain jam into Dazed and Confused. Greg still sounds great. Vegas in 1978 would have given you 1 to 10 million odds against greg singing the blues like that in front of all those people 30 years later.
BTW, I enjoyed Jackie's singing on Throwing Up. I found it soleful and laid back and prefered it to Ratdogs version I heard earlier in the year.

Hey MT. Were you at the Merriweather show in the 80's when it rained about 8 inches and all the new sod floated away and we were all mud sliding. Had to wade through 2 feet deep water to get to the car. What a hoot.
ronster
Bobby
Bobby

Postby Chuckles » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:41 pm

So YOU'RE the guy who kept draining the Stella kegs! Yeah, I might have to buy a copy of the show just to make sure it was as good as I thought...

LOL
:lol:

Chuckles

Postby weirimpressed » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:24 am

I wish the allman brothers were playing with PNF here in Atlanta, instead of the Black Crowes. But hey, cant complain, its PHIL!!!
Once in a while you get shown the light
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.
weirimpressed

Postby mttourpro » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:53 pm

ronster wrote:Hey MT. Were you at the Merriweather show in the 80's when it rained about 8 inches and all the new sod floated away and we were all mud sliding. Had to wade through 2 feet deep water to get to the car. What a hoot.

Sounds pretty sick but I wasn't there. I have a buddy who saw the 83 show when they played a rare Casey Jones---I don't think that was your rain show though, maybe earlier?

I remember in 85, they let everyone camp right there and even came by with garbage trucks through the woods in the morning. Way cool at the time. It was never that way again though. Those shows/that tour were amongst the best I ever saw. Got the Dancin>Dupree's>Walkin, Cryptical, Esau, Shakedown, Scarlet>Fire, TOO----all were MONUMENTAL versions. Had fifth row seats for the first night too--16 dollars---11 for lawn!.

Saw Bob/Rob with JGB in summer of 89 (i think), that was a pretty mellow scene and very good shows and Phish in 02 (that was heavy security---helicopters, etc) and P and F (04?--again, pretty mellow)--
my cousins lived in Ellicott City so it was a great venue for me in that they went to shows too and I stayed with them. Ah, the good ol days. :cool:

mttourpro

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:00 pm

I love the Shakedown from that show.Brent goes wild.
Good energy on that show too
If I remember right they some what mangle the Cryptical.
:cool:
I saw a great JGB show there around 88 or 89.
I got to sit in a friends 2nd row seat because they got so wasted.I also remember there was a marsh mellow fight up in the lawn seats.
The good times.
:drink:
Tennessee Jedi

Return to Grateful Dead Tour Info