new grateful dead tour?

Talk about the recent Tours

Postby krzykat » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:03 pm

Pete B. wrote:fwiw, I most recently noted the heavy Scofield chorus on the P&F official release with Joan Osbourn.

MO MOAN OSBOURN!!! i just don't dig her singing Jerrys tunes. Saw her sing Candyman @ bethel woods and started screaming BULL *!@?. i just don't by her singing lead. If you want Pig tunes I say bring in John Popper and his harp
krzykat

Postby pappypgh » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:06 pm

And so it is...the 13th with Warren & Chimenti in State College. Seeya there TJedi!!! I am SOOOO there. Great compromise! I thought that would be a great venue (Beaver Stadium, not Bryce Jordan where the boys will play) for the "Winter Classic!" Pens v Cryers on New Year's Day @ PSU Football Stadium!!!!
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Awesome.....
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby mttourpro » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:39 pm

Very Cool. Last time they played there it was half empty....May be a bit different this time around.

BTW Pappy, a link wouldda been nice.

http://www.relix.com/Features/Daily_New ... 23117.html
http://www.thecausejams.com

let your life proceed by its own design....
mttourpro

Postby krzykat » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:30 pm

damn beat me to it!
krzykat

Postby Emoto » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:51 pm

I just realized that if they tour after January '09 that all of the election BS will be OVER and we can simply enjoy the music and the vibe as dog and Jerry intended. :cool:
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:19 am

And so it is...the 13th with Warren & Chimenti in State College. Seeya there TJedi!!!

Philly gets the screw job again .....
Pappy - I look forward to some "sickelberry" music out there.
So Ok Let me be the first to say
I NEED A MIRACLE
Tennessee Jedi

Postby krzykat » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:10 am

my friends already have a room. leaving on the 12th so there isn't any rushing around (who am i kidding there will still be rushing around)
krzykat

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:01 pm

Even though he's far from my 1st choice, at least its ONE lead guitarist. Two, and it either gets way too busy OR the ball is dropped way too often. You have one guy, and it rarely becomes a "whose solo is it?" situation.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby spacehead333 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:05 pm

God damnit why did they pick Warren? I hope if they do a tour they pick someone else instead, or add someone with him, I am a little dissapointed.
steal your face right off your head
http://www.myspace.com/reelfootmusic
spacehead333

Postby weirimpressed » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:37 pm

I wonder if Jimmy will sit in, Widespread Panic is taking 2009 Spring/Summer tours off
weirimpressed

Postby frankielee » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:12 pm

The tour I still consider pure speculation. If it does go down I agree w/Spacehead give the cat from DSO a shot!
"Don't go mistaking paradise for that home across the road."
frankielee
Jerry
Jerry

Postby BOUKINATOR » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:30 pm

I think it would be weird having someone like JK from DSO... does anyone really want to see them with someone trying to sound like Jerry? I don't.

my picks:

Mark Karan (the best post Jerry GD guitarist)
Jimmy H (pretty damn good at the Jerry licks)

I love Warren but not with the Dead (his solo acoustic Dead covers are great though)
BOUKINATOR
Mickey
Mickey

is ticket info out?????

Postby kenneybonz » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:25 pm

that sounds like a small venue.. i wanna go!
Hipsters, Tripsters, real cool chicksters, Everyone's doin' that rag.
kenneybonz
Billy
Billy

Postby jonarobb » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:19 pm

BOUKINATOR wrote:I think it would be weird having someone like JK from DSO... does anyone really want to see them with someone trying to sound like Jerry? I don't.

YES!!!

I think the concensus is in that direction. I mean, c'mon, we're not talking Spinal Tap here. John from DSO for example has put his heart and soul into it. And he's good. That's what counts. You're not propping some schmuck up there and hoping to go back in time. Myself, and other old school heads are looking for the magic. And a big part of that magic comes with some attention to things like tone, and vocal stylizing, etc...

Barraco is a good example of someone who came out of the Dead cover scene and was embraced by the band. Howcome it can't be one of the many smokin' guitarists paying the same honor and respect to Garcia thoroughly with attention to detail?

Jeff Mattson, again, I'll say it, he's light years ahead of Warren Haynes, Jimmy Herring, Steve Kimock, Larry Campbell, and others, in his ability to cop Jerry's style. Neither one of them are necessarily better. It's just a fit.

I saw Kimock a few months back and they were doing Eyes of the World. I literally had to split. I couldn't believe how whack it sounded.

Mark Karan. Does he even know what reverb is?

Jimmy Herring. Those octave slides and chord comping sound much better in another band.

I'm not slamming these guys. I play myself and I know what it takes to stay on top of the game. And even though it's a done deal, and it was said on another forum I believe, with Warren Haynes, it sounds like The Allman Brothers covering the Grateful Dead. Especially now that Weir is playing with so much gain it's just too much distortion on stage.

I enjoy the discussion though and glad everyone is chiming in so thoughtfully and passionately.

I'll be there on the 13th.
jonarobb

Postby mttourpro » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:42 pm

Now that I think about it, you know who'd make a great choice for LG is Mark Deamato (sp) from Zen Tricksters. That'll never happen, but I'll still enjoy seeing them with Warren.
http://www.thecausejams.com

let your life proceed by its own design....
mttourpro

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Tour Info