Europe 1990 Tour

Talk about the recent Tours

Europe 1990 Tour

Postby bucketorain » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:59 pm

I was wondering if this tour was being planned out while Brent was still around or was this something that transpired after his passing?

I ask because a tour in Europe would have required some planning and months of work ahead of the 1st dates....
YOU KNOW IT'S GONNA GET STRANGER
www.otrpresents.ca
bucketorain
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:09 pm

Definitely planned while Brent was alive... although I can't recall if they had been announced yet by the end of summer tour.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Re: Europe 1990 Tour

Postby jonarobb » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:33 pm

bucketorain wrote:I was wondering if this tour was being planned out while Brent was still around or was this something that transpired after his passing?

I ask because a tour in Europe would have required some planning and months of work ahead of the 1st dates....

This tour was in the works as far back as 89' right after they bagged the China/Asia tour. How many of you remember that?
jonarobb

Postby amyjared » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

This tour was in the works as far back as 89' right after they bagged the China/Asia tour. How many of you remember that?

LOL, I has already started the design for the bumper stickers "Peaking in Peking" which I changed to Beijing, and was looking into importing persian rugs to make cash from the trip to pay for it. I SO wanted to hit China with them...but t'wasn't to be. Europe was fun, though!
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby jonarobb » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:43 pm

amyjared wrote:

LOL, I has already started the design for the bumper stickers "Peaking in Peking" which I changed to Beijing, and was looking into importing persian rugs to make cash from the trip to pay for it. I SO wanted to hit China with them...but t'wasn't to be. Europe was fun, though!

Too funny! Yeah, it was almost a done deal. It was like 5 shows in China and 2 in Singapore. Was gonna be a bitch to get there but all the travel agencies in Berkeley had put together these tour packages. I think I still have a flyer somewhere for it. What happened? Was it because of the Tiennemin Sq. massacre that they cancelled it?
jonarobb

Postby mutant_dan » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:53 am

I can remember ordering Europe tour tickets while on 1990 summer tour. Making calls to ticket agents in Europe from pay phones was a real pain in the ass. Nothing like today when everyone carries a phone at all times.

The tickets were real cool, they were taken from the Without A Net artwork.

Going to Berlin in 1990 was pretty interesting as the East and West Germany had just been united a couple weeks before. The East Germans had no idea how to function in a capitolist economy.

Prior to unification, everyone traveling on Eurail would have to pay the Communist Government about $17 to pass through East Germany to get to West Berlin. At one point, while travelling to Berlin, the former communists stopped our train in the middle of nowhere and shook us all down for $17 or they were going to throw us off the train.

We passed barbed wire fences and abandoned guard towers as we travelled into the former East Germany and Berlin. At that time, East Berlin looked as if WWII had just ended. Buildings that were bombed out at the end of the war had never been repaired or town down. Bullet holes in statues, walls, light poles, it was unreal...
mutant_dan
Bobby
Bobby

Return to Grateful Dead Tour Info