When was your last Dead show?

Talk about the recent Tours

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:12 pm

I guess looking back I was smack in the middle of the younger group of kids out on tour. In ’95 I was 19, I had dropped out of college and after working for a while to save some cash I hit the road in the spring starting in Atlanta and stayed on tour until the Albany shows that summer June 22nd being my last one.

That year was what it was, in retrospect not a good one for the Dead, largely the shows where as has been mentioned very lackluster, but not without a few fireworks. First of all, Bob, Phil, Mick, Bill and to a lesser extent Vince where hooked up almost every night in a usually failing effort to give Jerry some room to move. A good example of what I mean is the solo section of Unbroken Chain. The band usually hit all the changes strongly in what is a pretty changeling tune. This is not a new point of view it’s reported widely in several books including Phil’s autobiography.

The teleprompters helped a little too, a long wordy tune like “Visions of Johanna” would probably not have happened without their help even in a good year. I remember the week Jerry died David Gans included a seller version (I think the one from the Phil Zone album) in a beautiful musical collage he played on the GD hour.

In Seattle they sounchecked “Tough Mamma” which was awesome! Because of the open design of the venue it was very audible from just outside the main gate. And then at Shoreline the Brokedown Palace encore on the last night was riveting, Jerry sounding like he might just die right there in Mountain View. After they finished the lights stayed off for an unusually long time and the crowd got more and more loud, everyone of course thinking “Bid You Goodnight.” But it never was to be.

Jerry, as has been said by everybody was clearly sick that year, sometimes heartbreakingly so. A lot of nights it had the feel of the band just going through the motions, which was really sad especially for me, this was, after all my big time! I was hoping for a winner every night. The end wasn’t all bad the Saturday night show of the Boston run on fall tour in ’94 was just amazing probably the only truly great one I caught.

Maybe the events of that summer have been kind of been colored by passing time but to me it where some of the greatest times of my life. Talking to others who where there out on the road, the conversations to me sound like those of Civil War veterans. Instead of marching to Shiloh or Antietam we stood in line in Tampa or Buckeye Lake, Noblesville, and Vegas. To be young and out on the American road in my car with the windows down the band blasting from my tape deck, a part of in the huge caravan of freaks invading towns and gas stations across the land was a true adventure.
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Postby willmusic » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:01 pm

RFK 6-25-95.
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Postby boxorain » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:31 pm

2/26/94 Oakland
The future's here...
boxorain
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby DooDahDan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:12 am

6/24/95 RFK. The Black Muddy encore was quite a surprise. :-)

We listened to an aud tape of the show back at the hotel. Our taper friend had his mikes too low and over the concession stand on the floor, so about every 25 seconds or so we here someone yelling "two beers" in the background. Hence, it is referred to as the "two beer" show amongst my friends.
DooDahDan
Brent
Brent

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:02 pm

Maybe the events of that summer have been kind of been colored by passing time but to me it where some of the greatest times of my life. Talking to others who where there out on the road, the conversations to me sound like those of Civil War veterans. Instead of marching to Shiloh or Antietam we stood in line in Tampa or Buckeye Lake, Noblesville, and Vegas. To be young and out on the American road in my car with the windows down the band blasting from my tape deck, a part of in the huge caravan of freaks invading towns and gas stations across the land was a true adventure.

Dude you should write this down ..its gold !
I can hear Morgan Freeman reading this someday in a movie from your autobiography or novel.
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:47 pm

Wow thanks man!
I should have mentioned watching Kate Smith's statue starting to talk to me after a '93 JGB show too :shock: ....oh well.
Cheers
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Postby old man down » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:26 am

The last two times I got to see Jerry play were 07-09-89 (SUN) GD and 10-31-93 (SUN) JGB, both at the Meadowlands , East Rutherford, NJ. The GD at Giant's Stadium there and the JGB at the Arena.

Once, in-between these two concerts, I went with a few friends just to hang out in the parking lot there for when the GD came by, since the parking lot was low key entertainment, and allowed you to leave before the crowds came out after the show.

At these shows I wasn't even playing guitar anymore, had sort of hung it up to focus on other interests, get my life together in other ways.

It's funny, but when I went to see the JGB that last time, I went to a pre-party and there was a JGB concert on tape that we were watching that I payed close attention to since you could watch Jer close up and personal. Then when I went to the show, I overdosed on Jerry. A little too much of a good thing for one day. Couldn't wait for the show to finally end.

And that was that.

A couple of years later when he died, however, it really hurt to know that even if I wanted to get back to my youth one more time, the opportunity was finally gone forever.

In 2001 I happened to visit a Guitar Center just for kicks, and left with a nylon string. From there, I have spent the last seven years studying Jer's style and technique, and bought a Martin steel string four years ago.

Once you're turned on to Garcia's guitar playing style it doesn't take much to bring you around again to studying it anew if you've lapsed off along the journey. A very addictive pastime and my interest never seems to pale.
old man down
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:09 am

A very addictive pastime and my interest never seems to pale.

When I listen to the Dead it doesnt take but a few minutes and I get inspired to pick up the guitar.
N.F.A.
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Oscillation » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:24 am

Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY (Friday, 4/2/93)

Worst show of my life, cops on horse back in the lot, rip offs everywhere, not a spec of LSD to be found, jerry looking like death warmed over...though that had been going on for some time...

Big change from my first show where i bought sugar cubes for captain crunch dollars I got out of my cereal box....

Jerry provided a lot of the feel good energy and that energy was dark and weak by that time...

Maybe if he would've put down his crack pipe....who the fuck knows...but i can still get the groove cuz i gots me a stereo!
Oscillation
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Emoto » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:29 am

They didn't call it Nausea Coliseum for nothing...
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Re: When was your last Dead show?

Postby RETURN » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:04 am

'95 in Pittsburgh right before the soldier field show which I believe was his last. It started raining and you guessed it, looks like rain comes slowly, fading in. Great night. Wish I had more.
Dry your eyes on the wind.
RETURN
Brent
Brent

Postby Laytonco » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:25 pm

7-6-1995 - Riverport Ampitheatre. Last show before the Chicago Shows. Incredible Unbroken Chain that night. Had my 2 year old daughter dancing in the aisles. The venue staff kept walking the aisles getting everyone back in their rows. They would just smile and walk around Catherine. Freaking awesome. 2 years old, her 7th and final show.

Peace,

Gil
Laytonco

Postby frankielee » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:14 pm

6/8/94 Cal-Expo Sacto Ca. 23 yrs after my first show 12/7/71-Felt Forum NYC 8)
"Don't go mistaking paradise for that home across the road."
frankielee
Jerry
Jerry

Postby BOUKINATOR » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:38 pm

First AND Last show... 7-9-95

The right time in my life and the right amount of drugs (too much)... I was instantly hooked. I should also mention I did not even know who the Grateful Dead were, I went to find acid and boy did I find it! I was never musically inclined, but the show had such an effect on me two weeks later I bought a guitar and a Dead songbook, opened it up, strummed a G and started to learn Uncle John's Band.

13 years later I'm fronting a pretty damn good Dead tribute band... the end!
BOUKINATOR
Mickey
Mickey

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Tour Info