When was your last Dead show?

Talk about the recent Tours

Postby amyjared » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:21 am

Shoreline, 6/4/95. Just caught Seattle/Portland/Shorline on the last tour. Was slightly disillusioned about the scene by this time.
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby Good Times » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:31 am

7/2/95 - Deer Creek. Had tickets to the next night which was cancelled. Heard a rumor around the campground after the show that the next night would be cancelled. I really didn't pay too much attention to this as it seems that was always a rumor at Deer Creek with people offering to take your tickets for the next show. However, we showed up at the parking lot the next morning ready to start the party and we told by several Indiana State Patrol that the show had been cancelled and we were to leave the area. :mad: What a sad ending to times that brought me so much joy.
Last edited by Good Times on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good Times
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby FretfulDave » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:37 pm

Saturday, 3/18/95
Spectrum. Philadelphia, PA

Wow. Different topic. Hadn't thought about it for years, but had. I didn't go the next night, it was Sunday, a work night, I had a ticket but... so didn't see the last time w/ my concert bud of all those years. The night they debuted "Unbroken Chain". Sigh.

Anyway, it was also kinda weird and somewhat disillusioning... Jerry used a tele-prompter for "Visions of Johanna". First time, and only, that I saw that. That is also the version on the Phil Zone release, I believe.

Hah, hah. now, years later, I understand why he used it ...

Dave
The river keeps a talkin'
FretfulDave
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Fat Ronald » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:42 pm

Pittsburg '95. The show was a late add, as they already had most the summer east coast leg set. The start of the second set was cool, with all "rain" songs to lead off (given the weather conditions). SOTM was the last song I saw jerry sing, as Bobby did a Gloria encore. Didn't think it would be the last I'd see (only saw 4) but grateful for the opportunity and times I did see them. Quite the experience that I will always have in my memory.
Fat Ronald
bruce
bruce

Postby oconnors_35 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:50 am

My last show was Albany 6/22/95, I also went the night before in Albany and also caught the Highgate show. That whole tour had a lot of weirdness, gate crashing everywhere, Jerry had a death threat before the Deer Creek show, I think I recall a couple of people got struck by lightning at Riverport.
My girlfriend broke her ankle at Highgate and we had to leave the show, the shows I saw were weak, no flow, lots of stopping and starting.

SeanO
oconnors_35
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby bucketorain » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:19 pm

just an observation, but from what everyone is saying here is that 1995 wasn't that great musically or the scene.....

anyone here think things could have turned around?
YOU KNOW IT'S GONNA GET STRANGER
www.otrpresents.ca
bucketorain
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:39 pm

bucketorain wrote:just an observation, but from what everyone is saying here is that 1995 wasn't that great musically or the scene.....

anyone here think things could have turned around?

It was pretty clear at least by early 94 (ymmv, omse might even push it back to around late 1991) that Jerry's health was getting worse and his playing and delivery of the lyrics were reflecting that.

The scene had ALWAYS been getting worse and worse, especially after "Touch of Gray" making the Top 10 in 1987, followed by lots of media exposure and a deluge of young party/drug-seekers and panhandlers showing up in the lots at every tour stop.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Dozin » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:18 pm

Emoto wrote:My last was Highgate. Mixed feelings about it.

I'm pretty sure this was my last show too. I think I said I was throwing in the towel with the GD at this point. I didn't like midi dead and i sure didn't like vince.
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby bodiddley » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:03 pm

7-9-95. Thanks for the "So Many Roads" Jer. Otherwise a terrible show, but at least we got that. Weird thing is, I always knew somehow I would attend the last GD show.
bodiddley

Postby bodiddley » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:03 pm

7-9-95. Thanks for the "So Many Roads" Jer. Otherwise a terrible show, but at least we got that. Weird thing is, I always knew somehow I would attend the last GD show.
bodiddley

Postby Chuckles » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:00 am

wisedyes wrote:The two shows in DC in 1995, just before the end. By 1991 I was having a really hard time getting into it - they just weren't very good at that point. Plus, I never much cared for the Vinny sound or his playing style. At least Bruce Hornsby was there and those two shows were better than the usual for the time.

To be fair, they needed to take some extended time off BAD. Jerry needed to either get well, or make the decision to move on to other things that held his interest better. He was obviously done being interested in the Dead at the time. And none of that was ever going to happen being on the road all the time.
My last shows as well. As I recall, they seemed like a band that should be playing in a bandshell for some civic event... I dunno, just my impression. Light music, not to intense, kinda singsongy with Vince's lame shit. Even the Shakedown and Box O' were tame compareed to earlier versions - as if done by rote. And the Samba and even the Rain just were embarassing.

The douchebags that crashed gates deserved a little credit for the whole scene collapsing, imho. FU, if you were one of 'em. (not directed at you, WD) :evil:

Last tune seen: Brokedown... which seems appropriate.
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby bodiddley » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:19 pm

I was at 4 shows for the "Tour from Hell". Both D.C., The Pittsburgh(the Best IMO), and the last Chicago show. Other than the obvious of the band sucking and Jerry dying before our eyes, I just got this overwhelming feeling that the band had become a parody of itself. I just kept thinking to myself "God, this is really sad".
bodiddley

Postby Hunkle » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:06 am

Come writers and critics
Who prophesize with your pen
And keep your eyes wide
The chance won't come again
'.

That's for everyone who thought how lame the scene was at that point. Who knows, maybe if Jerry had gotten some much needed time off they might have made a little comeback. I caught 6-5-95 through 6-22-95 and you know what? I had a blast at all of them and not once did I think how "lame" it was or how crappy the band was at the time and blah blah blah. Too bad you guys couldn't have done the same thing. Maybe what the scene needed was a little more positive energy and not the burden of even more hanger-ons. What did you all expect 77? 74? Oh well, what I wouldn't do to hear a "95" Brokedown or a Visions of Johanna just one last time.
Hunkle
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby bodiddley » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:02 am

Sorry man, gotta disagree with ya, other than a few brief moments or songs here and there, it was pretty pathetic.
bodiddley

Postby Hunkle » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:10 pm

Thanks for your opinion Bo, as negative as it is. Pathetic is a pretty strong word don't ya think?
Hunkle
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Tour Info