Postby bucketorain » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:19 am

Rich Stadium - Buffalo 1993
YOU KNOW IT'S GONNA GET STRANGER
www.otrpresents.ca
bucketorain
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby astroman99 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:29 am

Saw 5 in '95,, 2 in charlotte, 2 in albany--really sad and the last I think was Highgate, vt, not a great show either, but what a blast!
astroman99

Postby waldo041 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:13 am

saw jerrys last 7, and would have been 8 if the second night wasn't cancelled at deer creek.

:mad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzuMCVVKLPk :mad:

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:16 am

Sometime in 92 ...
Philly
The band was ok
Vince had this little keyboard and it was loaded with sheet music ....Looked weird.
Estimated came up and it was all good till Vince went all wacky.
The magic was gone for me.
Brent was real special;he fit great with the band.
But I focused on Jerry so much I didnt realize how much the rest of the band came to lean on him especially Jerry.
I'm sure Vince was up against a tough situation but it just didnt work for me.
To be fair the last Jerry show I saw in those years had Jerry almost asleep at the mic - the show was over at 10:45 or some early hour ...it was sad ...
:(
Tennessee Jedi

Postby wisedyes » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:33 am

The two shows in DC in 1995, just before the end. By 1991 I was having a really hard time getting into it - they just weren't very good at that point. Plus, I never much cared for the Vinny sound or his playing style. At least Bruce Hornsby was there and those two shows were better than the usual for the time.

To be fair, they needed to take some extended time off BAD. Jerry needed to either get well, or make the decision to move on to other things that held his interest better. He was obviously done being interested in the Dead at the time. And none of that was ever going to happen being on the road all the time.
Out of the loop? I didn't know there was a loop!
wisedyes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby ebick » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:10 am

The Knick in 93. Don't remember the exact date, but they played Attics that night.
Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
ebick

Last show

Postby Maybeck09 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:42 am

I can't remember. It may have been the wonderful Halloween Show in Oakland (10.31.91)when Kesey spoke during Dark Star. I too thought Brent really added to then band and wasn't appreciated until gone. Garcia always played off of other people. Weir, John Kahn, Grisman and Brent for a while. The band lost some luster with Vince/Hornsby. I really missed the B-3 sound and thought Vince's rig looked and sounded f***ing weak. Very processed and unnatural sounding and did not fit in easily with what the others were playing. Anyway last was either Halloween or some Shoreline day show- went to a few of those in the 90s. Whatever day it was I miss them....
Maybeck09
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:59 am

It was the ugliest show and my last show: 7/2/95 Deer Creek. The mass gate-crashing event... the house lights on for the entire 2nd set.The 2nd night cancelled, I sold my ticket for the 2nd night of Riverport and caught a ride to Chicago instead, to visit my P's for a couple days as I would be returning west after Soldier Field. The morning of 7/8... I woke up with the mumps. The mumps!! :lol: I had to be quarantined for 10 days, so could not attend what of course nobody knew at the time would be the last two Dead shows ever... just a few miles away and almost in(un-?)disputably the easiest ticket on any of the recent tours. A month later, in my grief, I never begrudged those last two shows and came to see it more as being spared the last of our collective suffering.

Listening to it now, they actually played a pretty hot Fire that night! And I got an Attics. Last song Jerry sang to me: Quinn
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby st stephen » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:06 pm

i was 15 when jerry died so i only got to see them 3 times but i am very grateful for those 3 experiences.

10/15/94 Madison Square Garden last show.
st stephen
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby mttourpro » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:54 pm

My last show was the last show--7/9/95 chicago

I saw 6 shows in Summer of 95. I had planned on doing Pitts, RFKs and Deer Creeks. Given the way they were playing, I told lots of people I was gonna see this tour, catch my 100th show at Deer Creek and be done touring. I figured I'd still catch em "locally" but no more serious touring. As it turned out, a buddy of mine convinced me to go to Chicago for the last 2 shows ever. He of course bagged at the last minute and I went with someone else.

The ticket I bought for 30 bucks in trafic for the last night was 3 rows back way on the right side and turned out to be taken up by a lighting rig. I saw The Band's set from the center of the floor and then went to get "reassigned' as this light man told me I should do. So, I find "red-haired Larry" near the soundboard and assume I'm gonna get a peanut heaven reassignment. He asks where I want to sit and I ask what he's got. Tells me "how's about 21 rows back in front of Jerry?". Needless to say, it was a pretty good seat for what turned out to be the last show ever....

Perhaps the sickest thing of all was the party this dude we stayed with threw after the show----prolly 100 people from tour in this dudes place----cops showed up at 7AM to break it up! Below average show but great memories.
http://www.thecausejams.com

let your life proceed by its own design....
mttourpro

Postby Emoto » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:18 pm

My last was Highgate. Mixed feelings about it.
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby Pete B. » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:42 pm

Seattle, May '95. (I had a broken foot and was on crutches).
I wasn't very mobile, but had a good pair of binoculars.
:cool:
Pete B.

Postby krzykat » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:41 pm

I caught most of the last tour starting with Portland and going thru till the end. I was sitting outside for the first set of the last night at soldiers field, and using the jedi mind trick convinced security to let about twenty of us in to catch the rest of the show
krzykat

Postby Billbbill » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:55 pm

Summer '95 at Giants Stadium. I remember how jg was often very low in the mix from where I was on the field pretty close to the stage and thinking wtf?

Looking back an eerie bit of forshadowing.
Billbbill

Postby jonarobb » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:33 pm

Didn't see too many shows towards the end but went to all 3 nights in Salt Lake City in 95'. Remember being pleasantly surprised at how tight they sounded. Jerry looked and sounded pretty upbeat. Vince was playing something that sounded pretty close to a piano. There was a Johnny B Goode in there somewhere that ripped and when Jerry hit that first lick I remember smiling and saying to myself, man he's still got it.

Also saw Garcia Band at the Warfield in April of 95' and wished I hadn't. That was really freakin sad. He was really MIA the whole night.
jonarobb

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Tour Info