Ratdog...Sucked!

Talk about the recent Tours

Postby strumminsix » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:40 pm

Right on WillMusic & Dozin...

warrenMFKNhaynes, firstly, why the MFKN?

Secondly, keep on being pissy and argumentative.

You have a right to your opinion and others have a right to disagree.

Maybe you'd like them better if they converted to a rock band, Bobby's volume was cut in half, Mark's volume was doubled, they changed the name to "Rat MuthaFuckin' Dog".
strumminsix

Postby gratephulphish123 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:00 pm

strumminsix wrote:People hate the 'Dog cuz they don't have a screaming lead guitar up front and in your face all the time. Thank God they don't a nice change and a real break-away from the norm.

I agree, bobs band works really well as a unit, in the gd alot of the time jerry was in charge of things and obviously bob wanted some more control of his band and i dig that. i love seeing bob lead and when karan does step up for a solo he always does justice to what he's playing, it's not wildly adventurous like phil but it does sound like grateful dead music.

Imo bob is the dead reinterpreted, phil is the dead trying to sound like a newer jamband, like phish. Bob gets closer to the jazz and country cores that made up the dead and takes them to extremes, phil goes far out into space. I go to bob for the grateful dead music, i go to phil for the jamming. Not saying either is better just sayin thats my opinion of how it is.

PS i just scored fourth row tickets to ratdog! :lol:
gratephulphish123

Postby Dozin » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:22 pm

...and that's why today Bob's nic is not ACE it's Chief.

"You crack me up Strummin"
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby warrenMFKNhaynes » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:23 pm

strumminsix wrote:warrenMFKNhaynes, firstly, why the MFKN?

haha why not?
warrenMFKNhaynes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby CountryMile Cadillac » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:26 pm

All those in favor of a good fashion Kooning...

I
"Think I'll come back here again,
Every now and then from time to time"

http://www.reverbnation.com/houndsandrabbits
CountryMile Cadillac
Jerry
Jerry

Postby strumminsix » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:38 pm

CountryMile Cadillac wrote:All those in favor of a good fashion Kooning...

I

strumminsix

Postby weirimpressed » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:12 pm

after langerado, warren deserves all caps too haha
weirimpressed

Postby krzykat » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:53 pm

honestly i was one of those heads that went for Jerry and only Jerry given a choice between JGB or the DEAD i took JGB. I started going to Dog shows in 03 and am not disappointed. BUT i am now a Bobby fan too (i can't believe i actually said that)

those shows at summerstage in 07 were good, a couple of tempo issues but it was smokin' :D
krzykat

Postby Pigpen » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:11 pm

I frankly just love seeing Bob. Ratdog has yet to disappoint. Every direction he's taken it has worked for me, I'm really enjoying the shift to more "Jerry" songs then before. He takes them in a different direction but the Dead aspect of them is still retained. Unlike Phil and Friends but w/e :-) .
Simple enough
Pigpen
Billy
Billy

Postby Hunkle » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:51 am

Don't forget the name of the thread fellas!
Hunkle
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby IamDocWatson » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:10 am

Code: Select all
[quote="Hunkle"]I have to agree with Mr.MFukinHaynes.  I saw Ratdog last Nov. in Albany and left disappointed.  Then I saw Neil Young a couple of weeks later and he blew me away!  There is sooo much better music out there - please seek it out and not relegate yourselves to nostalgia acts like Ratdog.[/quote]

last nov the band was out of shape, their lead guitar player was undergoing cancer treatment and steve kimock was trying to fill in but left a huge void, especially because he cant sing, never played acoustic, left the verses wide open and added basically nothing until it was time for him to take a lead, where he would often space out with some 80's tone...give them another shot in 08 the band is better than what you saw. i promise
"Octaves full of voices, sweet voices belie"
IamDocWatson
Phil
Phil

Postby strumminsix » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:17 am

Hunkle wrote:Don't forget the name of the thread fellas!

????

You were talking about Neil Young on page 2!

The OP said Ratdog sucked.

But he said they suck in relationship to other bands NOT on the merit nor mission of Ratdog themself. As I see it most of the dissenting posts were trying to identify that.
strumminsix

Postby wisedyes » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:57 am

My two cents is that when Ratdog first got going back in the early post GD days, I really couldn't stand them. Looking back, some of it may have had to do with the huge sense of loss about them not being the Dead, but really, I just couldn't warm up to it at all.

Now, though, I like them pretty well. They have gotten light years better. I like the direction Bobby took it as a "unit" band - no one player is more or less important than anyone else on stage. And while I don't always particularly agree with his choice of tempos or the "re-timing" ( for lack of a better word ) certain songs, hey, their pretty much his songs and he can do what he wants to, know what I mean? After all, when I play music I change things around if I want to too, so why not him?

As for P&F, I do prefer them to Ratdog, but I have yet to see the current lineup. Personally, though, I thought that the PLQ lineup and the Sless / Scofield lineups were just completely off the hook - I don't see how anyone could think that those bands weren't capable of getting to that magic place - I thought that they got there with amazing regularity. Plus, they were consistently tight units ( and we know how I love the tight :P ).

P/F is coming to a tiny little outdoor pavilion about 5 minutes from my house here in June, so I guess I will be seeing the new lineup then. As for Warren Haynes, no doubt he's an amazing musician with a ton of soul - but his style of playing can definitely be a bit more in your face and rocked up than many other players, so it might not always be everyone's cup of tea. Myself, while I love his playing, Gov't Mule just really doesn't do a whole lot for me. They're very, very good, but it just doesn't move me much.
Out of the loop? I didn't know there was a loop!
wisedyes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby bucketorain » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:26 am

i saw RD on 10-31-06 in Toronot. I thought it was a very good performance....they were doing some trippy stuff with the sound as well...
YOU KNOW IT'S GONNA GET STRANGER
www.otrpresents.ca
bucketorain
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby st stephen » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:09 am

speaking of the old ratdog i saw them when i was a sophmore in college i guess it was a round 98 in albany and gosh that band was pretty painful. Currently they are light years ahead of that band. I think there a good band...they still always make some big monster mistakes but i always leave happy that i went because to be honest id rather be at a bobby show than sitting at home. I mean the grateful dead are my favorite band ever so when one of the boys are in town there no place id rather be. thats just me. But i do prefer phil over bobby just my personal opinion. I met phil outside the nokia last year the night of the holloween show and he just seemed so niiice. I saw him multiple times outside walking around with his wife and smiling. Bobby is still just bobby the intravert rockstar. just seems so arrogant to me.
st stephen
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Tour Info