The dead are touring again?

Talk about the recent Tours

The dead are touring again?

Postby Larree » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:25 pm

Saw them at Oakland a few years ago on New Years's Eve. That Motown band kicked ass. Who was that girl who sang with them? The Dead should have done her big hit song.
<A HREF="http://iacmusic.com/Stations/KIAC1593.htm" target="_blank">Click here to listen to my music, or add my music to your own website for free!</A>
Larree
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Pigpen » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:14 pm

Oh Joan Osbourne? Her hit was "If god was one of us". Id be pissed if they played that, I never thought she or any female figure has worked too well in the dead setting(Donna.. and that one lady who used to tour with phil). Who knows if they're ever getting back together , I think Phil and Bob are in a fight of some kind or perfectly happy in their respective bands. There have been rumors but none substantiated.
Simple enough
Pigpen
Billy
Billy

Postby Hunkle » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:24 pm

What about Garcia's backup singers Gloria Jones and Jaclyn LeBranch? They were and still are great.
Hunkle
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby strumminsix » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:02 am

Bobby and Phil are both happy with their own bands.

From what I know when they all played together Jerry's absence is somewhat haunting.
strumminsix

Postby CaptainTrips » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:00 am

From what Ive gathered the one most indifferent about it is Billy. Not cause any ill will towards any of the guys he just seems the most content to be retired.

And didnt Phil and Bobby have a bit of a disagreement over the archive.org fiasco . . . .
CaptainTrips

Postby lostsailor8782 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:02 am

Please let Dead dogs lie ... I really want to keep my memories as they stand ... went to one post Jerry performance with Herring and Joan on the line up ... wasn't that good really ... No Jerry ... No Grateful Dead, Dead, or anything else for that matter ... I have moved on ....
I only smoke it when I am awake... I promise
lostsailor8782
Bear
Bear

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:29 am

Yeah I think Billy got hooked on scuba diving with Jerry in Hawaii. I imagine that is what he is doing with his retirement. Can't say I wouldn't do the same thing.
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby AugustWest » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:51 am

Well it's not like billy doesn't still like to tour. He's been on tour with the rhythm devils for the last few years. However I don't think they really want to do the whole barn circut and play huge arena's all summer again. I think phil and bobby are perfectly happy with thier music with thier respective bands. I thought the other ones where very cool but the last two "the dead" tours where pretty bad. The people there were great and kind but the shows where not very good (three guitars?!?!?)

If they ever do it again, I hope they do it like bobby suggested. Some intimate tour dates as a quartet. Or add a piano and do it as a quintet. But nothing like the last couple of tours. I could see them doing a one weekend thing again where all thier bands do a couple of sets and then they do one acoustic and one electric set together.
AugustWest
Bobby
Bobby

Postby amyjared » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:18 am

Friends of mine in Kawaii hang with Billy and he's there often. They say he much prefers hanging on the island and occasionally drumming w/the locals. As for the band....I have to agree. W/out Jer, it's not really the same. I LOVED being on tour, but that's done. Time to move on. I go see Phil's band and occasionally Bobby's, but don't need them to try to regroup as it's never going to be the same. Things change.
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

dead tour

Postby Maybeck09 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:14 pm

I'm of the camp that say leave it alone. i too understand billy wanting to stay in hawaii. I would too- its paradise. Sure beats the east coast in the summer. Jerry might have been a modest talent but he was the "it" that that band needed to jell. The other guys are all quite talented, but just don't have the charisma to pull people together like jerry did. And to lead a band like he did. with the drugs and improvisational personality- you never knew what you were going to get.But with his music history knowledge and skills he could often bring genuine magic to the stage and venue. For those who can remember those days will always be special.
Maybeck09
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby CaptainTrips » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:31 pm

Agreed, they have created a great forty year legacy that will most likely forever remain unchallenged in music history. And to top it all off you can still go see PL&F and Ratdog. But to try to put it all back together, it just aint right. Frankly I kind of have a hard time listenin to Phil or Bobby do Dead songs with their bands, something . . . a very big something is just missing.
CaptainTrips

Postby willmusic » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:58 pm

I really don't think that by touring together again, Bobby, Phil, or anybody thought they were bringing anything back as far as "Jerry" Dead. I think that was more an idea that heads had adopted than what the boys intended. Anyone who went to TOO or The Dead expecting to be flashed back to the good ole days was obviously mistaken and probably disappointed. I had a great time seeing them at the Alpine Valley "Terrapin Station" event. There were obviously many different guesses as to how it would sound. Despite some sound problems and other factors, there were some magical moments. I personally enjoyed hearing songs I never thought would see the light of day again like "Born Cross-Eyed". Plus, the first night was my fiance's b-day and we got to hang out for hours with Vince Welnick at the campground the night before that. It was a good time all in all. For sure, Phil and Bobby are definitely happier doing their own things. And yes the Grateful Dead are gone. Would I love to see another get together? Absolutely. I'm grateful for what I've seen and heard, though. I know all you folks are. Love that Dead!!!
Last edited by willmusic on Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Postby ker1227 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:00 pm

i was hoping that the rumor of just bobby, phil, billy and mickey touring would happen.,.... i guess not
ker1227
Billy
Billy

Postby Pigpen » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:45 pm

Hunkle wrote:What about Garcia's backup singers Gloria Jones and Jaclyn LeBranch? They were and still are great.
Gotta love the Jerriettes. :o
Simple enough
Pigpen
Billy
Billy

Postby strumminsix » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:54 pm

Wow, what hypocrisy and irony...

People saying let it go. Others hoping for a tour.
Still others felt let down by TOO or Dead.

What's wrong with hoping for a reuinion?

Why get over it?

Why hope it's a flashback to the glory days?

Why not love it for what it was?
strumminsix

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Tour Info