Pics from Phil in Boston - 10/10

Talk about the recent Tours

Pics from Phil in Boston - 10/10

Postby shakedown_04092 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:29 pm

Some pics from front row @ Boston 10/10. A lot of them came out blury...no flash allowed and therefor my shitty camera can't "focus" very easily You have to hold your hand super still, and needless to say, in my condition, it was kinda hard to do that. We were right in front of Larry Campbell with no one in front of us, could actually lean on the stage. Kicking myself for not borrowing a nicer camera, but oh well:

Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby deadguise » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:53 pm

Nice pics! Is that a music stand or a flat screen telepromter up on the stage?
deadguise

Postby gratephulphish123 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:55 pm

how was it?
gratephulphish123

Postby nicolasalk » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:57 pm

great pics
nicolasalk
Jerry
Jerry

Postby shakedown_04092 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:08 pm

deadguise wrote:Nice pics! Is that a music stand or a flat screen telepromter up on the stage?

Uhh...actually I've heard it's one in the same!

Shows were great (saw the night before as well, sat a few seats left of the soundboard that night).

The one thing I will say about sitting front row is I didn't think the sound was as good. Couldn't hear Molitz's keys for shit, and oh boy did I get a healthy dose of Larry Campbell all night long. Of course don't take this as a complaint. Well, actually it kind of is, but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Just to see up close how the band interacts with each other was really fun, though I found it was really no different than any other band (sans Phil's secret microphone trick where he can talk into the mic so the rest of the band can hear him but not the audience....that is pretty sweet). Lots of eye contact and ear contact with the members.

THe night before when I could hear Molitz, I was pretty impressed. I wasn't sure how he'd fit in, but he did a mighty fine job, and honestly I could've gone for a little more of him in the mix.

As for Jackie, VERY impressed. Not so much with his guitar playing (he himself has said he's more a rhytmic player), but his singing and presence was really strong.

I'll say this too: I listened to a few of the recodings from earlier in this tour to get an idea of what to expect, and honestly I was a lot dissapointed and almost bummed out I had bought tickets to 2 shows. The recordings DO NOT do this band justice AT ALL. The band sounded great as a unit, the energy was awesome (it IS Boston, after all), and the setlists were well constructed. Very much enjoyed Jackie's tunes, they were fun, upbeat, rocking at points, and the "ballads" were very warm and just felt right. I can definitely see what Phil sees in him. Kid's gonna be good for a long time, I bet. I can sort of see why folks compare him to Dylan or whatever, because he's got that feel to him, the way his songs flow and the messages in them.

If you have the chance to go see this band, do it.

You know why?

It's better than whatever else you'll be doing that night, and it's worth it. And you'll have FUN. SO unless you are the fun police and don't enjoy a good time, go! It's music. It's Dead music (for the most part). I don't think you need another reason. :cool: :smile:
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby quonce » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:08 pm

I just saw Dylan, back to back nights, in Syracuse and Rochester. Kick ass shows, 27th and 28th in my career, but after seeing those photos and those shows, I have really come to miss Larry Campbell playing. For awhile, I really think I was going to see him as much as I was Bob, especially after Love and Theft, where he would play guitar, slide, banjo, mandolin, dobro, violin, and probably his shoelaces if you mic'ed them.

Sick photos!
Quonce

"There is no success like failure, and failure is no success at all"
quonce
tiger
tiger

Postby waldo041 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:07 pm

shakedown_04092 wrote:(sans Phil's secret microphone trick where he can talk into the mic so the rest of the band can hear him but not the audience....that is pretty sweet).

that's called the "ducker system" and it was what the grateful dead used at the end with the in-ear monitor's and was conceived by healy or cutler. if you had a better look you may have noticed rubber mats they probably sang on. the rubber mat is actually a big switch that the weight of the singer actuates to turn the microphone ON when stepped on. when stepped off of, turns the mic off, so NO sounds come thru. ie.. bass, drums. they used that before they added the "ducker" which with the stomp of a footswitch "ducks" them out of the main speakers and into the in ear monitors.

it is sweet! :smile:

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Oscillation » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:09 am

ahhh how great to see phil looking all healthy and happy....I'd pay just to see that :) thanks for the pics
Oscillation
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Scary Pete » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:14 am

nice pics, I have some pics on my cell phone of Phil last night at the Tweeter Center (Camden, NJ) he took out his stand up bass and I got a decent pic of it, but none are the quality yours are, since I'm assuming you used a real camera.
Scary Pete
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Return to Grateful Dead Tour Info