Besides USA and Europe...

Talk about the recent Tours

Postby gratephulphish123 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:55 pm

bodiddley wrote:Ya it's the USA, but they get some cred for doing shows in Alaska and Hawaii. They had enough of us knuckle heads in their own backyard...no need to travel abroad. A StoneHedge show woulda been cool though.

phil and jerry went to stonehendge and vocal jammed (sorta) in the great pyramid, sorry i finished phils book and feel the need to repeat what he says
gratephulphish123

Postby sarraqum » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:58 pm

then start your own band. (duh)

Hehehehe, way ahead of you on that one, and you never know one day me and my band might strike it rich and tour Europe, Asia and Middle East. And if our gruelling schedule would allow it we might even swing by that continent hidden between two great expanses of water otherwise known as Pacific and Atlantic oceans and play a gig or two in that tiny country.....what was it called.......damn....slipped my mind, never mind I am sure it will come back.

Oh, and AugustWest, Cream only remained as a band for a year (give or take a couple of reunions)so they can hardly compare to the Dead or Phish or Panic. During their year together though they managed to tour US, that seems to be a good ratio to me, one year as a band one US tour.....Grateful Dead, 30 years together........4 outings to Europe.

Anyway, I feel like a real bastard posting this, please don't take any of it the wrong way, I am not being hostile, just facetious.
sarraqum
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby LazyLightnin » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:08 pm

dude, youre tweakin' settle down...
LazyLightnin

Postby sarraqum » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:17 pm

Yeah.....be glad I didn't use any of those emoticons.
sarraqum
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby nicolasalk » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:32 pm

sarraqum wrote:
They had enough of us knuckle heads in their own backyard...no need to travel abroad.

Thats a terrible attitude to have and that is what annoys me about US jam bands. America is not the only country in the world and there are other people all over the place who appreciate the music but never get a chance to see them play live because the bands think they have enough fans at home to bother touring.

Cream didn't fuck around and went to US, so did Pink Floyd and Beatles, many times. Grateful Dead on the other hand managed to make it to Europe...what was it....twice? What about Phish? Widespread Panic? Gov't Mule? You can count US jam bands' escapees with one hand.

You should start exporting all the great bands you have over to us and stop sending all the garbage like 50 Cent and Pussycat Dolls, you can keep them.

You are damn right, I live in Chile. Terrible :(
nicolasalk
Jerry
Jerry

Postby candyman68 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:52 am

GD had a europe tour in 72 81 90 and 91

No European tour in 91 but a short trip to England in 1970 (http://www.archive.org/details/gd70-05- ... sbeok.shnf) and to France in 71 (http://www.archive.org/details/gd71-06- ... sbeok.shnf).

Plus the 74 tour mentioned above.

In 81 they came to Europe twice; 3/20-3/28 and 9/30-10/19
candyman68
rukind?
rukind?

Postby weedar » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:19 am

I wish I had a time-machine. :cry:
weedar
Jester
Jester

Postby CountryMile Cadillac » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:30 pm

Thats a terrible attitude to have and that is what annoys me about US jam bands. America is not the only country in the world and there are other people all over the place who appreciate the music but never get a chance to see them play live because the bands think they have enough fans at home to bother touring.

Quit bitchin' and buy a freakin Plane ticket, and see all the Bands you want to
"Think I'll come back here again,
Every now and then from time to time"
CountryMile Cadillac
Jerry
Jerry

Postby sarraqum » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:23 am

Yes, a plane ticket to the States, capital idea! That one was in the pipeline for so long. All I have to do is take all the money I have and haven't got and spend them to make it across the ocean and fend for myself in a unfamiliar country with barely enough finances and no familiar faces while I travel by foot from state to state following bands as they tour. Then once the whole adventure is over I'll learn how to breathe underwater and walk back on the sea floor back to UK.

Or.....this one is a bit tricky but hear me out.....ok......your musicians come over to us with all the comforts that jet planes, tour buses and 5 star hotels can provide and play a couple of shows, bagging up a few grand and heading back to all the knuckle heads who'd probably be wondering where they went and then playing more shows for them. I think that sort of far-fetched venture is called a World Tour in some circles. I myself am not that well informed about those sort of things as the circles aforementioned earlier tend to circulate around US and rarely make it out to the periphery of the western world where, believe it or not people also live and listen to music.

I don't want to sound like an asshole but come on, whats the big deal here? Surely none of you believe that great music should be constricted to one nation and anyone who wants to see bands play that great music should come to that nation. Wasn't the music supposed to be FOR the fans? And would anyone of you actually deny the fact that the bands that this site represents spend most of their time in US?
sarraqum
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby strumminsix » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:39 am

Dude, sarraqum, why are you so miserable about this?

Have you not realized why bands tour? For the money. Clearly Europe is not the market for jambands or they'd be there all the time. Face it, your countrymen like the crappiest performers America has to offer and you treat them like royalty.
strumminsix

Postby sarraqum » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:04 am

Hmm, thus far this has been the most sensible comment, however I am not willing to speak for the masses who listen to "shit"(sorry for being blunt) that gets imported into our country, nor do masses who listen to said shit speak for me or other people who tend to appreciate the better music US has to offer. As you said, its all about money as well as exposure.

And once again, we may be living on the edge of the western world but it doesn't mean we don't "get" the premise of jam bands. It's not like they play weird instruments that we've never seen or sing in some language that defies common sense. At the end of the day its music and every human being "gets" music.I am not saying there is a huge market for it here but surely expansion is what business is all about, isn't it?
sarraqum
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby krzykat » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:23 am

sarraqum wrote:Yes, a plane ticket to the States, capital idea! That one was in the pipeline for so long. All I have to do is take all the money I have and haven't got and spend them to make it across the ocean and fend for myself in a unfamiliar country with barely enough finances and no familiar faces while I travel by foot from state to state following bands as they tour. Then once the whole adventure is over I'll learn how to breathe underwater and walk back on the sea floor back to UK.

Or.....this one is a bit tricky but hear me out.....ok......your musicians come over to us with all the comforts that jet planes, tour buses and 5 star hotels can provide and play a couple of shows, bagging up a few grand and heading back to all the knuckle heads who'd probably be wondering where they went and then playing more shows for them. I think that sort of far-fetched venture is called a World Tour in some circles. I myself am not that well informed about those sort of things as the circles aforementioned earlier tend to circulate around US and rarely make it out to the periphery of the western world where, believe it or not people also live and listen to music.

I don't want to sound like an asshole but come on, whats the big deal here? Surely none of you believe that great music should be constricted to one nation and anyone who wants to see bands play that great music should come to that nation. Wasn't the music supposed to be FOR the fans? And would anyone of you actually deny the fact that the bands that this site represents spend most of their time in US?

As Bobby would say its every young mans rights of passage! When I first started traveling, with no money by the way, the country was unfamiliar to me, I didn't know anyone, but now here we are almost twenty years later and I wou;dnt think twice about being there yet.

krzykat

Postby Shaggy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:45 am

sarraqum,

Where in Uk are you?
Shaggy

Postby sarraqum » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:15 am

I am based in Kent, under London. You're in Birmingham if I remember correctly?
sarraqum
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby Shaggy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:09 am

Yeah just outside Birmingham, but in the process of moving down to Cambridge.

Just realized I've probably asked you where you lived before! :D

Shit summer so far, huh?

You will find a small scale scene here, and I wouldn't call the tastes of a nation that bad! It was always going to be very hard for the GD to be hugely popular over here, so little exposure back in the day.
Shaggy

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Tour Info