Would a Brass Nut be worth it?

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Would a Brass Nut be worth it?

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:53 am

Was Abraham Lincoln honest?

Does a woodchuck chuck wood?

Does a former drill sargent make a bad therapist?

Did this little piggy cry "wee, wee, wee" all the way home?

"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby tcsned » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:37 am

I saw a hilarious episode of Penn & Teller's Bullshit and they were debunking myths around organic produce and they were conducting a taste test - when they told the subject which banana was organic they all selected the one they were told was organic. When the test was blind most selected the non-organic banana. Some of these people were obviously morons but it gets to the point that I think Jon raised about the scientific method - if your mind is expecting a difference there is a good chance you will hear it whether or not it is there or as significant as your perception of it is. Everything on a guitar affects the tone. I have always thought that the nut only affected the sound of a guitar when an open string was played - I certainly could be wrong. When I was at the music store I sure put plenty of shitty plastic nuts on crappy guitars at thought that they sounded awful but then again, they were on cheap guitars. I have graphite nuts . . . :shock: on all of my electrics except my old Strat and Les Paul - they are original and plastic I think. I haven't put a brass nut on any of my guitars since shaping them is kind of a pain with my available tools but will probably see about putting one on my under construction guitar. Though without recording it with the same amp settings, microphone, strings, etc doing a good comparison is impossible. Not that it really matters because perception is reality after all. :-)

Here's Jerry's brass nut :lol:
From Rosebud
tcsned

Postby hogan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:36 am

For the record, I only think a brass nut matters on open strings as per my previous posts. I'm all for the the scientific method. In fact, i think most everything is bullshit/snake oil until I see some real evidence.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:04 am

+1 on the scientific method. I started college as an English major, but ended up (a long time later...) withe a Zoology degree and most of Chemistry and Earth Science degrees. The tried and true method tends to cut throught the bullshit. But I'm still getting a scalloped brass nut on my Tiger!
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby tcsned » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:20 am

TI4-1009 wrote:+1 on the scientific method. I started college as an English major, but ended up (a long time later...) withe a Zoology degree and most of Chemistry and Earth Science degrees. The tried and true method tends to cut throught the bullshit. But I'm still getting a scalloped brass nut on my Tiger!

lol - I went the opposite route. I started in Wildlife Biology and wound up with a history degree - now in Instructional Design/Ed Psych - designing a research study for my dissertation now. Gotta account for all variables :-)
tcsned

Postby tapestry » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:42 pm

Thanks for all the thoughts everyone! I think Ill go for it, I just need to find a decent luthier in the Glens Falls/Saratoga NY region.
tapestry
Bobby
Bobby

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion