Best electronics dust cleaner?

Chat about Equipment Info

Best electronics dust cleaner?

Postby Kennay » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:22 am

This might have been covered but I have`nt been able to find the thread. I vaguely remember that there were some products to avoid because they leave a residue. Is Radio Shack precision electronics cleaner cool? What`s better? Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
Kennay
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Re: Best electronics dust cleaner?

Postby gr8fullfred » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:25 am

How about your friendly local vacuum cleaner? The end with the brush on it works good.

Additionally, I once worked at a Hewlett/Packard service center. We used to hose off really dirty equipment in a booth and then place the equipment in a low temperature oven for a few days. Stuff came out great, clean as can be. Not suggesting you do that, but it can be done.
gr8fullfred
Jerry
Jerry

Postby Kennay » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:26 pm

LOL! Guess I should have specified that it`s for my guitar and amps pots and tube sockets. But I might consider hosing my amp down and sticking it in the oven after I play a shitty gig! But thanks gr8fullfred. I needed a good laugh and know you were trying to help.
Kennay
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby gr8fullfred » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:04 pm

In all seriousness you could hose off the chassis of your amp. You just need to dry it out afterwords.
I am telling you, I did this to expensive test equipment that in all probability cost more than any amp you may happen to have.
Absolutely filthy dusty equipment was returned to almost new looking condition by the method I describe above.

Again, I am not suggesting that you do this, but the post was not meant as humor. I was paid to hose off and then oven dry equipment.
There is nothing in the chassis of your amp that would be damaged by some clean water and a good drying. BTW I am talking about an oven that was probably about 120 degrees F. We left the equipment in there for a few days.

I am not freaking kidding here! Been there done that!
gr8fullfred
Jerry
Jerry

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion