Effects Loop Went Dead - Opinions Requested

Chat about Equipment Info

Effects Loop Went Dead - Opinions Requested

Postby Chutley » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:58 pm

Hi all,

So this is the post I hoped I'd never have to write..... :) Was all psyched about getting ready to finally acquire a GCX for my rig, and have run into an issue. I have a Troy Post Jerry-inspired guitar with CB1 buffer & effects loop. I hooked up a new Pedal Power 2+ supply to my pedals and it was all working fine. Went to reorder some pedals with the cable plugged into the guitar (unintentionally) and then bam, effects loop went completely silent. Checked the battery, it is OK.... Tried another cable, still no luck..... I flip the switch to the non-loop output and the guitar plays perfectly.

So, any ideas? I am assuming that maybe I fried the buffer somehow, but it still plays nicely coming straight out. I take the battery out and the straight output goes silent too (I would expect that is normal).... Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated - what a time to run into this! :)

Thanks in advance!
Chutley
bruce
bruce

Re: Effects Loop Went Dead - Opinions Requested

Postby williamsaut » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:27 pm

I had the OBEL switch on the guitar go on me once.
Also, I don't know what the 'standard' wiring is but I wired mine as 'Tip send' and 'Ring return'. If yours is wired this way then with the Loop kicked in, a standard cable should function as a guitar out from the OBEL. My OBEL switch went so that I had NO OUTPUT with the OBEL out and I had to use the OBEL output as my only guitar out the rest of the night. But I do think your right to assume that the buffer is till working if you get any signal at all out of the guitar since it's post OBEL.

Could be just the switch.

GOOD LUCK

Will
When the secrets all are told,
And the petals all unfold.
williamsaut
Keith
Keith

Postby waldo041 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:44 pm

williamsaut wrote:I don't know what the 'standard' wiring is but I wired mine as 'Tip send' and 'Ring return'. If yours is wired this way then with the Loop kicked in, a standard cable should function as a guitar out from the OBEL. My OBEL switch went so that I had NO OUTPUT with the OBEL out and I had to use the OBEL output as my only guitar out the rest of the night.

jerry's wiring are ALL tip send, and have to believe just for this rare circumstance. i make sure that all my layouts are like that as well. that said, don't know if all the guys who are wiring up the guitars are sticking to this standard, but do know some have had hiccups like this when they don't.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby myoung6923 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:07 pm

I would suspect that a wire has come loose. I don't think that it's the buffer because in most Jerry type wiring schemes - the buffer is always on - even when the loop is bypassed.

Do you use a Y cable - or a junction box to split out the OBEL cable?
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby Chutley » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:54 am

Problem solved, thanks to Waldo's patient PMs walking me through troubleshooting steps (which he nailed from PM #1 really...), and it is the best possible news for me - a defective cable!

Turns out I didn't spend enough time with my backup cable solution while troubleshooting..... My backup is actually a splitter that connects to a TRS to TRS, and have never needed to use it before. I did try that cable as my first check on my own, but must have not had something connected properly or had my input/output cable reversed since it isnt marked on my backup - again, never really had to use it since I went to an OBEL... Since it didn't seem to work at first, I thought crap, not the cable, and moved on.

Anyhow, thanks to Waldo's suggestion, tried it again, but this time reconnected everything carefully, and flipped the input/output on my backup, and bingo - everything is back! A lesson was definitely learned on my part - and that is to take lots of time with each troubleshooting step. Had I spent more time with my backup cable, which wasn't as familiar to me since I never use it, and this would have been avoided...

Thanks to everyone who offered assistance, and thanks especially to Waldo who essentially solved the problem! I'm really happy though because a repaired or new cable is a much easier problem to address..... :)
Chutley
bruce
bruce

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion