Boss

Chat about Equipment Info

Boss

Postby inthedark » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:56 am

So ive read and i was utterly clueless about what i read.

Are Boss pedals not true bypass ? ^ ive been reading about how they are not True Bypass.

I only have 2 boss pedals i use. Blues Driver and TU2 Tuner.

But if this is true i need to a) mod them or b) replace them with other pedals.
inthedark
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Re: Boss

Postby waldo041 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:16 am

correct, boss pedals are not true bypass and use a transistor based switching system. true bypassing them internally can be done, i have done it to my OC2, but is a difficult task that requires some ingenuity fitting a standard 3pdt switch in there.

for the tuner, you could build a box like jerry used.
http://www.wald-electronics.com/misc.html

same goes for the other boss you have, but it would be a true bypass box. you can buy or build one of those as well.

also, original MXR's are not true bypass as well. neither are the original mutrons.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby inthedark » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:31 am

waldo041 wrote:correct, boss pedals are not true bypass and use a transistor based switching system. true bypassing them internally can be done, i have done it to my OC2, but is a difficult task that requires some ingenuity fitting a standard 3pdt switch in there.

for the tuner, you could build a box like jerry used.
http://www.wald-electronics.com/misc.html

same goes for the other boss you have, but it would be a true bypass box. you can buy or build one of those as well.

also, original MXR's are not true bypass as well. neither are the original mutrons.

peace,
waldo

HAHA so i guess i got some work to do getting True Bypass done to almost all my pedals haha

-Walt

inthedark
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby jdsmodulus » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:35 am

or buy that GCX!
jdsmodulus

Postby inthedark » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:46 am

jdsmodulus wrote:or buy that GCX!

Haha maybe down the road i dont have that kind of cash currently.

-Walt
inthedark
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby tigerstrat » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:21 am

or using a box with 4 jacks, a DPDT switch and some wire, make a true-bypass loop pedal that is simple and cheap (relative to a GCX system)
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby inthedark » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:17 am

tigerstrat wrote:or using a box with 4 jacks, a DPDT switch and some wire, make a true-bypass loop pedal that is simple and cheap (relative to a GCX system)

hmmm... this sounds interesting :-)
inthedark
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby tigerstrat » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:51 pm

inthedark wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:or using a box with 4 jacks, a DPDT switch and some wire, make a true-bypass loop pedal that is simple and cheap (relative to a GCX system)

hmmm... this sounds interesting :-)

here's a true-bypass switcher pedal that I actually made from a Boss non-true bypass switcher. :twisted: useless old PSM-5 pedal: ripped out the old switch, the battery/switch cover, and the PCB (wtf was all that circuitry FOR anyway?), and made it useful for once in its life.
ImageImage
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion