Colorsound Wah problems

Chat about Equipment Info

Colorsound Wah problems

Postby rkubik » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:05 pm

A few months ago I picked up a 70's Colorsound Wah off E-bay which as advertised needed a little work. Did a few things and it worked okay. Then soon after that my battery terminal gave out and I just got around to replacing it. My solder job worked as the pedal is operational again to the same standard it was before. For some reason I am getting some really creepy interference from somewhere where I am actually hearing voices when I use that the pedal that sounds little like talk radio or an old radio program. The voices are muffled and I cannot make-out what is being said. I lose all signal from the guitar and all you hear are the voices. I moved the pedal to the end of my chain and it seemed to help a little but not much. Doesn't happen to any other pedals I use. I thought I read about this topic before but when I did a search I didn't find anything. All radios, computers, televisons etc are turned off in the house so it isn't coming from those no ceiling fan no weird lighting.

Also, my experience with pedals is pretty limited but with the wah pedal the signal seems really weak and there is some crackling occasionally. I know I am dealing with a piece of equipment that is 40 years old but I am looking for some advice as to what kind of maintenance should I try to do. Should I try re-solder the wiring? Would it make sense to replace the pot? I would like to try and do the work myself but I am by no means an expert at wiring and I am afraid I could make it worse. Besides the new battery terminal all wiring etc is original and a few of the parts are stamped made in England so not sure if getting original parts is a possibility.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
rkubik
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Re: Colorsound Wah problems

Postby JonnyBoy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:41 am

it can be so many things causing the weakened signal, you may want to make sure the grounding areas/terminals are clean and not rusty on the radio issue, I had an issue similar and that and new shielding knocked it out. I am for sure something that old, almost 40 years, needs cap replacements and an inspection to check for issues. In some DIY forums they have info on common trouble shoots and issues associated with it, starting there is probably wise. Good luck, that's an awesome pedal.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:55 am

I've had good luck taking pedals to Catholic priests to purge out the voices. By the way, some of them actually really love pedals (insert pedaphile joke here). 12 years of Catholic school, so I can say that (but never any... issues).

Seriously, I remember having electronic guitar equipment pick up radio signals way back when. I think my Vox treble booster was the worst. I assume it had to do with lack of shielding?
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby waldo041 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:34 am

transistors are bad or misbiased. could have went bad with the battery connector problem and somehow shorted them out.

if this is the schem, you can probably run through the values with a multimeter. but i am pretty sure something is going on with the transistors.

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main. ... ewsIndex=1

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:54 pm

I was getting Fox News Channel tonight at practice through my rig, couldn't figure it out at first, narrowed it down to the effects. Take the effects out of the loop with the guitar switch and, Zap gone. turn on any effect and turn on OBEL, radio comes back. I am looping in my guitar and through a GCX. After an annoying practice, I finally changed the input from guitar in to guitar thru on the GCX and it stopped. put the cord back the way it was and still it was gone. WEIRD>>> but I was getting the radio Station LOUD AND CLEAR before that. I am almost certain it was the GCX, due to that fact. unplugging then replugging the cords reset it so to speak and got rid of the FNC. Double weird.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:44 am

Just my opinion, but Fox News doesn't go well with Dead music...
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion