New pedals

Chat about Equipment Info

New pedals

Postby inthedark » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:08 am

Got a 70's MXR distortion (w/ 9v mod) and a 70's MXR delay (Big green pedal). Sound great !

Who has any info on these pedals ? Just curious, the delay is a little tricky asim used to my Guyatone Micro Delay.

-Walt
inthedark
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Re: New pedals

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:39 am

What kind of info? You have the most important info, since they are in your hands, getting plugged into your rig...
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby inthedark » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:56 am

tigerstrat wrote:What kind of info? You have the most important info, since they are in your hands, getting plugged into your rig...

I mean any info on the delay more so, where in the chain would you put this ? I have it after the distortion but before the BBE sonic maximizer. Thats where ive always put my delay but i didnt know if anyone else had a different idea of where in the chain to put it.
inthedark
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:02 am

inthedark wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:What kind of info? You have the most important info, since they are in your hands, getting plugged into your rig...

I mean any info on the delay more so, where in the chain would you put this ? I have it after the distortion but before the BBE sonic maximizer. Thats where ive always put my delay but i didnt know if anyone else had a different idea of where in the chain to put it.

I would always put a delay last, after any signal boosting/compression/enhancement/contour (whatever that BBE does) but before any outboard reverbs. As always, your mileage may vary.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby JonnyBoy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:21 am

I think a delay sounds best when the overall signal being "delayed" is the final signal being processed before amplification. For example, it doesn't sound clear to me when I send a delayed signal that looses power through a "dynamic effect" like a distortion or an EnvFltr, where the initial signal is strong and the resulting ones are weaker and weaker resulting in a different color from the effects. I would think no matter which delay it is, it should be like TS said, second to last before preamp right before reverb for a clear sound and best performance from the pedal. :smile:
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Grant » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:41 pm

in a typical chain you would put a delay after the preamp (in the loop)

in a jerry chain, last before the pre
Grant
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby inthedark » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:46 am

This is how ive had my pedals setup for years (other then MXR pedals which i just got)

Output - BBE Sonic Max - BBE Boost - Guyatone Micro Delay - MXR delay - Q Tron+ - Boss BD-2 - IBNZ TS9 - MXR Dist + - Boss TU-2 - Input

I just got a 1st generation Mutron envelope filter, should i keep with this current setup ^ and just replace the Q Tron with the Mutron ?

-Walt
inthedark
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:25 am

It may not matter in your case to have the muIII in the middle of the chain if your other effects play well with it. I have always had to place mine first. Also, if you plan on using other effects with the Qtron+ like OD or octave pedals, I have found having the octave and one of my many OD pedals placed in the effects loop of the Qtron, it plays nicely with others that way if all else fails. With my effects switcher, I haven't had issues with my pedals anymore, but still I have the signal hit the Qtron first.

I think it interesting to boost before the envelope filter, I would have to readjust the pedal to get the sound I like. Unless it is left on constantly for driving the amp. There are many guitarists that follow their own ways with pedals and get some cool sounds. Carry on my wayward son. :smile:
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion