Humbuckers that sound like strat p/u's split

Chat about Equipment Info

Humbuckers that sound like strat p/u's split

Postby Counterstriker » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:58 am

Hey guys, I should be ordering my Carvin once my Vantage sells! I'm aiming for the DC 145. with the HSH config. I used to hate the strat single coils, but now I love that tone through my amp. I have a mexican strat btw. but when I get the Carvin I want o swap pickups. I'm not going for a jerry tone. I plan on switching the middle pickup for with my strat P/U but for the neck and bridge I am unsure. I want it to be able to sound like my current P/U's (Strat standard) when split. Any idea?
Counterstriker

Re: Humbuckers that sound like strat p/u's split

Postby Chuckles » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:21 pm

The Joe Bardens are very nice - and you can actually get a little more tele twang in the bridge - but they might overpower the strat in the middle...
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby tcsned » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:25 pm

Chuckles wrote:The Joe Bardens are very nice - and you can actually get a little more tele twang in the bridge - but they might overpower the strat in the middle...

Yep, I don't have mine wired to coil split but have in the past. They're good, I think they make a "two tone" or something like that's designed for splitting. I got some Seymore Duncan Stag Mags for my new guitar and they're supposed to be built to split.
tcsned

Postby brutusbuck45 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:58 pm

Counterstriker wrote:Hey guys, I should be ordering my Carvin once my Vantage sells! I'm aiming for the DC 145. with the HSH config. I used to hate the strat single coils, but now I love that tone through my amp. I have a mexican strat btw. but when I get the Carvin I want o swap pickups. I'm not going for a jerry tone. I plan on switching the middle pickup for with my strat P/U but for the neck and bridge I am unsure. I want it to be able to sound like my current P/U's (Strat standard) when split. Any idea?

I'm just curious... have you heard the stock Carvin AP-11 pickup yet? You might be surprised by its output. Just sayin...
brutusbuck45
Phil
Phil

Postby Counterstriker » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:16 am

I've heard lots of video's on youtube and the tone I'm hearing I don't like. It sounds to acoustic to me for some reason, and they weren't using a piezo. It's almost to sterile sounding.
Counterstriker

Postby Staemius » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:00 am

I've been real happy with the Seymour Duncan P-rails - basically a humbucker that splits to a single coil or a P-90.
Staemius
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:18 am

Counterstriker wrote:I've heard lots of video's on youtube and the tone I'm hearing I don't like. It sounds to acoustic to me for some reason, and they weren't using a piezo. It's almost to sterile sounding.

What is?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby brutusbuck45 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:25 am

Counterstriker wrote:I've heard lots of video's on youtube and the tone I'm hearing I don't like. It sounds to acoustic to me for some reason, and they weren't using a piezo. It's almost to sterile sounding.

...must be audio/video quality. The AP-11 is anything but sterile or piezo-like.
brutusbuck45
Phil
Phil

Postby ScubaGeek » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:36 pm

For what it's worth, I've always heard that humbuckers can't fully emulate the sound of a Strat pickup because the differences in design between the two.

On a Strat pickup, the polepieces themselves are magnets, whereas on a humbucker (at least a Gibson style humbucker and I think most designs offered by, say Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio) the magnets are placed under the plastic bobbin, seperating them physically from the polepieces themselves.

The upshot is that if you wire a coil splitter up to your humbucker, when it put it in single coil mode, it's not gonna quite sound like a Strat or Tele pickup. It perhaps gets close, but some might argue "not close enough".

Likewise, if you wire two Strat pickups up like a humbucker, it's not gonna sound quite like a PAF or a DiMarzio Super Distortion or whatever, just because of the same design differences.

Now some of the things like the Joe Bardens pickups or the various other models that fit into the space of a single coil pickup (like the Seymour Duncan Hot Rails), I'm not sure about. Depending on what design differences there are, those might sound more like a Strat pickup when it's in single coil mode, but I've never had the opportunity to try them out.
ScubaGeek
tiger
tiger

Postby Jon S. » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:49 pm

Fralin Unbuckers.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby tcsned » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:58 pm

Jon S. wrote:Fralin Unbuckers.

+1
tcsned

Postby jackr » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:39 am

Counterstriker wrote:Hey guys, I should be ordering my Carvin once my Vantage sells!

Which Vantage are you trying to sell? I know someone that may be interested.
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:05 am

If you ever find one used, which you prolly won't cuz it took me forever, but I am LOVIN' my EJ Custom Dimarzio bridgebucker in the neck. it is under the Vintage power section on their site if you have interest.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion