Mattsoncaster II

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Mattsoncaster II

Postby CoolBreeze » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:14 pm

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:Yes, the larger PC board is the Roland. We bought the GK-Kit designed for this type of internal install. The MIDI audio signal will NOT come from the guitar, but instead will come directly out of the GR-50 rack unit. The 13-pin Roland cable will connect this GK circuit board to the rack unit so that the guitar can talk to it.

So- the Roland pickup is just a pickup- and all the midi is handled by the rack? (versus directly on the guitar?)

Sweetness! Very nice, Brad!
-Bruce
CoolBreeze
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby jackr » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:40 pm

Very impressive. Beautiful.
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:59 pm

I guess that was confusing. The Roland GK pickup and controller circuit board on the guitar generate the information that travels down the 13pin cord to the rack-mounted MIDI synth module, in our case, an old GR-50 like Jerry had. Once the 13-pin cord goes into the rack mounted GR-50, it then converts that GK pickup information into actual MIDI data. Then within that same module, the MIDI talks to the synth and plays the audio. That is what will go direct to the PA.

In some cases people will use a Roland GK pickup system and that blends their guitar signal with the MIDI so you can have one guitar cord that carries both guitar and/or MIDI synth sounds. That works because the 13-pin Roland cable actually takes the MIDI sounds from the synth module back up to the guitar where it can be mixed and then comes out at that point thru the guitar cord.

We're not doing that. We're not running the synth sounds back up to the guitar and out of the guitar. Although that synth audio signal is present there in the GK board on the guitar, we're not gonna tap it there. We want to run the MIDI sounds direct thru the full range PA and monitor system and NOT thru an EQ'd guitar-voiced preamp with no tweeter. If you think about it, running MIDI synth sounds thru your guitar amp is probably not the best way to deliver the natural synth samples. Those will sound most accurate thru a full-range monitor. I'm sure it would work ok, but it's not ideal.

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby unnbrokenchain » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:23 pm

I was going to ask about the entire MIDI path. Is that what Jerry did? Run it to the PA instead of his Mac and JBLS? I have ran my signal from my PA and my guitar rig (with no changes in the path). The PA system won't disappoint. It sounds a lot better through a SSD rig which goes to an 18 inch sub and two 12 inches and tweeters, rather than a tube amp going to two 12 inch speakers. I mostly just run it through my guitar rig because it's just more simple. I would like to build up my rack up to include a special reverb unit, EQ and compressor for the MIDI path.
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Postby tcsned » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:47 am

unnbrokenchain wrote:I was going to ask about the entire MIDI path. Is that what Jerry did? Run it to the PA instead of his Mac and JBLS? I have ran my signal from my PA and my guitar rig (with no changes in the path). The PA system won't disappoint. It sounds a lot better through a SSD rig which goes to an 18 inch sub and two 12 inches and tweeters, rather than a tube amp going to two 12 inch speakers. I mostly just run it through my guitar rig because it's just more simple. I would like to build up my rack up to include a special reverb unit, EQ and compressor for the MIDI path.

Yeah, separate is ideal. I started running mine through the normal channel of the Twin due to lack of channels in the mixer as we had another guitar player with a synth and needed a spare channel. Then when the channel opened up again, I got lazy and didn't change. Now with the SMS I only have one input into my rig so I had to split out again - sounds much better but was having issues with the guitar signal getting colored going through the synth. I'm now running them totally separate and seems to be working fine.
tcsned

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:17 am

I think the main idea here is that the synth samples are intended to be run flat and full range. If you run your MIDI sounds thru a guitar amp and guitar speakers, you then totally mess with the synth sample fidelity by EQ'ing the hell out of it and then lo-fi-ing it even more by going thru a guitar speaker instead of a full-range speaker. I assume Jerry ran his MIDI direct thru the PA and monitors and NOT thru his guitar rig. Maybe he did mix it in thru the JBL's but after the Twin preamp. I have seen a small mixer module on his rack, looks sort of like an API module or DBX or something like that. Not sure. Waldo???

Brad
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby waldo041 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:31 am

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:Maybe he did mix it in thru the JBL's but after the Twin preamp. I have seen a small mixer module on his rack, looks sort of like an API module or DBX or something like that. Not sure. Waldo???

Brad

nope the DBX mixer was for his monitor mix, much like his "mystery knob" which was actually a bass extension volume.

even when jerry used the black strat, he used a seperate guitar signal to the rig. during this time you can see in some pictures a seperate cable taped to the side of the effects cabinet for this purpose. when parish and jerry made the move to the strat, he'd plug that cable in the strat and parish would switch it at his tuner switching box. then when he moved back to tiger, tigers cable was plugged back in.

aside from the reason brad has stated for using the full range PA with the midi, the signals were also seperated for the same reason tcsned has run into. the midi module while having the ability to address both signals colors the analog guitar side when it is not seperated.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby keirweir » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:53 am

Mattsoncaster II in action

keirweir

Postby waldo041 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:20 am

NICE! :cool:

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:01 am

Awesome! How's he like it? (as if there's any doubt that it's awesome)
Rusty the Scoob

Postby strumminsix » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:03 am

Wonderful! He looks comfortable playing it!
strumminsix

Postby KCJones » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:54 am

Did Warmouth do the dyed blue top, sprayed blue back, nitro finish and neck finish? If so they seemed to have done a great job. Any Finish complaints, or problems with messing up the finish during routing etc..? Is that a Compound Radius neck Warmouth offers - cool in theory but is it a pain to setup a CR neck?
KCJones
Billy
Billy

Location: Kansas City, MO via Buffalo NY, San Diego CA, San Jose CA and Wash DC

Postby dleonard » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:05 am

That is the sickest "strat" I have ever seen
dleonard
Bear
Bear

Postby keirweir » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:45 pm

Looks Jeff M like John K and myself like to use the Neck PU
keirweir

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:47 pm

KCJones wrote:Did Warmouth do the dyed blue top, sprayed blue back, nitro finish and neck finish? If so they seemed to have done a great job. Any Finish complaints, or problems with messing up the finish during routing etc..? Is that a Compound Radius neck Warmouth offers - cool in theory but is it a pain to setup a CR neck?

Yes, Warmoth did the dyed blue top and sprayed blue back, all nitro body and neck. They did a great job. Only minor gripe is that there were a few places where the post dye sanding began to show a hint of blond maple, but it's pretty faint. All in all I think Warmoth nailed it. The compound radius necks are by far my favorite. It's the smartest radius design I know of. We got the "vintage/modern" type so you can access the truss rod from the headstock, no need to remove the neck to adjust it. Warmoth did very clean woodwork and delivery. It was expensive though to get that dyed-top finish on there.

Jeff says he loves the guitar, plays like a dream and sounds killer. It really is a fantastic strat. They're always different and you never quite know what you'll get when you build a guitar, but this one is ideal for him. It's pretty light and stratty, but the maple cap, the fixed tailpiece and the maple neck all seem to work in favor of a very Jerry kind of sound, and by that I mean that the higher, upper overtones have a very long sustain. It lets you lightly pick the guitar and also play it clean and get a real high energy, clear sound that sticks around and doesn't die quickly. Real sustainy axe with an easy and playable feel. The guitar was very lively and vibrant sounding even without plugging it in. It was hard to part with it.

Brad
SarnoMusicSolutions

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion