Check us out!!!

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Check us out!!!

Postby jeffm725 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:41 pm

playingdead wrote:Catfight!

No, seriously, I hear you man ... we came up with the name Playing Dead in 2004, and just in the last year or so, there was a band in Western Mass. that decided to call themselves Play Dead, and then try to book gigs in the clubs we were playing out that way. We asked them nicely to change their name -- they had just started -- and the lead guitarist decided to be a prick about it ... fortunately, one of our drummers is a lawyer. That got his attention ... so he changed the band's name to Shakedown. Never mind that JeffM's band in CT has been Shakedown forever, and they play in Western Mass. sometimes, too.

Now there's another band in VT called Play Dead, and they came and played the same Mass. festival Playing Dead's done a few times before ... people get confused ("hey, we thought it was you guys on the bill!"). Plus Playing Dead's done the Killington VT festival for years, played at the Higher Ground in Burlington, Mt. Snow up in VT... etc.

But what can you do? No one owns this music, or the catch phrases associated with it. All you can do is hope people will be kind about things like names and gigs that have been established by someone else ... sometimes they are cool about it. Sometimes they are not.

It's nothing new ... I played in UJB in Tampa for years, and we booked a gig in Key West, and UJB from S. Fla. tried to actually show up and play instead of us. Can't win for trying, sometimes.



Vic,
yeah, we were doing Wormtown and saw "Play Dead" on the bill too and I went looking for you, so they even fooled me and I am usually pretty up to date on that stuff. And yes they did change their name to Shakedown (shit, we have only been at it 23 years now :-) as some of our fans ended up at one of their gigs and were not happy. We haven't and won't probably do anything about it (what could we do anyway) but it's just silly. Like you said, nobody owns the catch phrases. However if someone takes the name of another band in the same area (like say 100 miles), that kind of crosses the line for me. For example both Connecticut and Colorado "Shakedown's" get along fine, have shared members in the past, and laugh when Colorado heads are back east and East coasters are in CO. and think they are going to see the same band (it happens at least a couple times a year believe it or not).

You think it is coincidence that this band for all the names went from Play Dead to Shakedown? Or maybe it has to do something with trying to pick off 2 bands with some of the better draws in the region? Pretty sleazy if that was the intent. My only thing is if we go after them. they will then change their name to Fennario (or maybe they will spell it Phennario and call it "original" haha).
I think Big Rhythm Wine has the right idea, nobody can claim that name as common Dead song property.

Was the name of the Bar that the two UJB's showed up at "Bob's country Bunker" by any chance?
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1072
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:16 pm
Location: Chester, CT.

Re: Check us out!!!

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:43 pm

yes I am one of those stubborn treble people too, I was listening to our last gig and I must have been hurting peoples ears, granted I was working with a different setup, but yes a few friends said I was too bright. in the modeling world what are your settings translating to in terms of treb mids and bass Vic?
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
User avatar
JonnyBoy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2134
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:35 am
Location: the south swamps

Re: Check us out!!!

Postby playingdead » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:49 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if it was deliberate, especially since they immediately tried to book themselves at Firefly's in Marlboro, where we play frequently. The guitarist took a really condescending attitude when I was super nice in approaching him ... he's a psychologist who has some shady looking practice advising people looking to put their elderly parents in a home. He made a big point in his email about "considering my request," suggesting I call but "don't be intimidated if you get my voicemail and it says 'doctor.' But he probably shit his pants when our drummer emailed him using his lawyer's office email.

The bar in Key West was Barefoot Bob's on Duvall Street. It was (is?) a totally Grateful Dead themed bar-restaurant, all the sandwiches are named after Dead tunes, they play Dead tapes all the time. We got booked for a Friday and Saturday night gig, they put us up in a hotel for two nights, it was awesome. Only fly in the ointment was the Key West city council passed an ordinance blocking live outdoor music after 8 pm the week before we played there, so they had to move us inside. We had a big crowd, but we were set up in this totally tight little room off the main bar, it was so crowded we had to put one drummer on the floor and the second one up on the pool table, where he had to duck the ceiling fan all night. This was probably 97 or 98.
User avatar
playingdead
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1713
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:55 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Check us out!!!

Postby playingdead » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:52 pm

JonnyBoy wrote:yes I am one of those stubborn treble people too, I was listening to our last gig and I must have been hurting peoples ears, granted I was working with a different setup, but yes a few friends said I was too bright. in the modeling world what are your settings translating to in terms of treb mids and bass Vic?


I actually used a parametric EQ block to shape it, can't recall the exact parameters but it was a pretty health little curve in that register that made it sit where I wanted it to. The amp parameters were pretty standard, low bass, pushed mids and a lot of treble. But I did some extensive tweaking to the presence frequency, resonance and some other parameters before I got it dialed in where I wanted it.

http://52vincentdrive.com/halfsteplimit.mp3
User avatar
playingdead
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1713
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:55 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Check us out!!!

Postby keirweir » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:28 pm

Sounds great!

I have family up in VT!
User avatar
keirweir
Senior Member
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:27 am
Location: Assachusetts

Re: Check us out!!!

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:40 pm

the OP's playing and singing


Vic: OP?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
User avatar
tigerstrat
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4628
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:20 pm
Location: Portland,OR

Re: Check us out!!!

Postby playingdead » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:42 pm

OP = Original Poster.
User avatar
playingdead
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1713
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:55 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Check us out!!!

Postby KWRummie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:49 pm

Sadly, Barefoot Bob's is no longer here in Key West. If any of you want to try to book a gig here, the Green Parrot is probably your best bet.
KWRummie
Donna
Donna
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: Key West, Florida

Re: Check us out!!!

Postby modz » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:11 am

[/quote]
Wow! that was a pretty ballsy move - it's times like those when a second drummer really comes in handy :-)
I play in a band that shares a name with several others out the (The Kind) - I believe Modz is or was in one of them. I've never had any confrontation in 25 years of playing under that name - except some hippie store in VA Beach that threatened to sue at one point until they found out that we preceded them by 10 years. There's only so many good names for Dead bands and most of them have been used at one time or another - I see no reason to get all uptight about it unless they try invading your territory . . . then take off the gloves :D[/quote]

I remember you writing me about the kind going to get lawyers on you. We named ours the Kind in 1990 (maybe 1989) and played under that name for about 10 years. We still do one show a year (the Kind Holiday jam???). Brad Sarno's band Blue Dixie joined forces with the kind and we said Blue Dixie and the Kind = SCHWAG:) It was a joke name that turned into a multi million dollar band. I'm enjoying reading through this thread. Everyone has stayed really cool with each other. Very admirable! I have been in a band named Vitamin A or Vitamen A for right at 20 years (Dino from DSO was a founding member and toured until 1996 and recently started doing shows again), we found other bands using that name but we owned the domain and plenty of press going back to 1991. We politely sent emails to them just to let them no that we had 3 CD's out under that name and they changed their names with no problem! PS I recently snagged theunkind.com :) So if any of you guys try to snarf it I will have to rough you up:) ha ha ha
We just borrow these names anyway. We also had Hateful Jed! The poster had Jed Clampit holding Tiger in place of the shotgun in the original photo. I loved that one!
Tracy Lowe from Festus, MO
http://www.soundscaperproductions.com/
modz
Pigpen
Pigpen
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:38 am
Location: Festus, MO

Re: Check us out!!!

Postby tcsned » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:40 am

modz wrote:I remember you writing me about the kind going to get lawyers on you. We named ours the Kind in 1990 (maybe 1989) and played under that name for about 10 years. We still do one show a year (the Kind Holiday jam???). Brad Sarno's band Blue Dixie joined forces with the kind and we said Blue Dixie and the Kind = SCHWAG:) It was a joke name that turned into a multi million dollar band. I'm enjoying reading through this thread. Everyone has stayed really cool with each other. Very admirable! I have been in a band named Vitamin A or Vitamen A for right at 20 years (Dino from DSO was a founding member and toured until 1996 and recently started doing shows again), we found other bands using that name but we owned the domain and plenty of press going back to 1991. We politely sent emails to them just to let them no that we had 3 CD's out under that name and they changed their names with no problem! PS I recently snagged theunkind.com :) So if any of you guys try to snarf it I will have to rough you up:) ha ha ha
We just borrow these names anyway. We also had Hateful Jed! The poster had Jed Clampit holding Tiger in place of the shotgun in the original photo. I loved that one!

lol! We should do a show with all of the bands named The Kind - there was one in Mass at one point too I think several others over the years too.

I think I'll call my next band The Grateful Dead :-)
User avatar
tcsned
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2623
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:50 pm
Location: Blacksburg, VA

Re: Check us out!!!

Postby aiq » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:47 am

My group uses As If Trio. Searched quite a bit...there was a jazz band with a couple albums called As Is. There's a guy in Montreal named Asif (his first name) mostly works as a solo but sometimes gigs as a trio so Asif Trio.

I'm not sweating it...
User avatar
aiq
Terrapin
Terrapin
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:52 am
Location: Federal Plantation

Re: Check us out!!!

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:47 am

tcsned wrote:
modz wrote:I remember you writing me about the kind going to get lawyers on you. We named ours the Kind in 1990 (maybe 1989) and played under that name for about 10 years. We still do one show a year (the Kind Holiday jam???). Brad Sarno's band Blue Dixie joined forces with the kind and we said Blue Dixie and the Kind = SCHWAG:) It was a joke name that turned into a multi million dollar band. I'm enjoying reading through this thread. Everyone has stayed really cool with each other. Very admirable! I have been in a band named Vitamin A or Vitamen A for right at 20 years (Dino from DSO was a founding member and toured until 1996 and recently started doing shows again), we found other bands using that name but we owned the domain and plenty of press going back to 1991. We politely sent emails to them just to let them no that we had 3 CD's out under that name and they changed their names with no problem! PS I recently snagged theunkind.com :) So if any of you guys try to snarf it I will have to rough you up:) ha ha ha
We just borrow these names anyway. We also had Hateful Jed! The poster had Jed Clampit holding Tiger in place of the shotgun in the original photo. I loved that one!

lol! We should do a show with all of the bands named The Kind - there was one in Mass at one point too I think several others over the years too.


Make the multi-The Kind show a benefit for The Schwag...
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
User avatar
tigerstrat
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4628
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:20 pm
Location: Portland,OR

Re: Check us out!!!

Postby tcsned » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:49 am

tigerstrat wrote:Make the multi-The Kind show a benefit for The Schwag...

PERFECT!
User avatar
tcsned
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2623
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:50 pm
Location: Blacksburg, VA

Re: Check us out!!!

Postby modz » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:39 pm

A kind of a Schwag benefit! I'm just glad there are no more Dead ahead's out there;)
Tracy Lowe from Festus, MO
http://www.soundscaperproductions.com/
modz
Pigpen
Pigpen
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:38 am
Location: Festus, MO

Re: Check us out!!!

Postby DeadAheadNH » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:03 pm

modz wrote:A kind of a Schwag benefit! I'm just glad there are no more Dead ahead's out there;)



huh ?!?!?
User avatar
DeadAheadNH
Brent
Brent
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:28 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests