thoughts on the Fender Supersonic?

Chat about Equipment Info

thoughts on the Fender Supersonic?

Postby caspersvapors » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:21 pm

looking for a backup amp, these can be had used for like 700 bucks and it seems to have a lot of versatility. Anyone played one?
caspersvapors

Re: thoughts on the Fender Supersonic?

Postby strumminsix » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:06 am

caspersvapors wrote:looking for a backup amp, these can be had used for like 700 bucks and it seems to have a lot of versatility. Anyone played one?

I did and thought I got a very nice sound from the one in GC. I used it to try a few different Teles a year or so back!
Interesting you bring this up since this past week I was wondering how my load ins would differ with POD a Spider 1x12...
strumminsix

Postby EdHead » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:50 am

I own the Supersonic 60 head and cab, loaded with 2x12 Celestion Vintage 30s. First thing I would say is go with the 1x12 combo, unless you are are playing large clubs. The half stack is not a bedroom, or even a garage amp. I like it because I live in the woods and enjoy cranking it up once in a while, but the majority of my practice time is with my billm Blues Jr. If I could have done it again, I would have bought the combo, which is probably loud enough for a small club, and also has reverb (the stand alone head does not).

The amp is indeed versatile - which is what I like most about it. It has two 'vintage' channels, one based on a bassman, the other on a vibrolux. The bassman channel is my favorite, I use it with my Les Paul (humbuckers) to get a nice bluesy growl, which works great for rock and roll chord work. The vibrolux channel is very bright, I use it with my single coil strat to get a very clean picking tone. Big headroom on this channel, very much like a twin. The vibrolux channel delivers a great, sparkling Mark Knopfler type tone, with the strat selector in the second position. It also delivers a great JG clean tone that is more than good enough for me, but maybe not good enough for some of the aficionados on this board, many of whom might insist on an authentic vintage twin to get closer to the real thing.

The burn channel features a sophisticated preamp with two gain stages, similar to a Mesa Boogie. This channel is a lot of fun. It won't quite get you all the way to a Marshall Plexi overdrive tone, but it can deliver several flavors of dirt, from JG "Loser" solo to SRV or Billy Gibbons. I don't bother with the tube screamer or MXR distortion when playing through this amp - the preamp is captive and much more flexible. There is also an effects loop w/preamp that can be jumped to give a nice little lead boost. This works particularly well on the bassman and vibrolux channels.

As far as new Fenders go, this amp is relatively high quality, made in the USA. Much of the electronics are point to point wired, not PCB assembled in Mexico (ie Blues Junior). I have had no issues with performance over the three years I have owned it. I hope this is helpful.
EdHead
Vince
Vince

Postby strumminsix » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:55 am

EdHead wrote:The vibrolux channel is very bright, I use it with my single coil strat to get a very clean picking tone. Big headroom on this channel, very much like a twin. The vibrolux channel delivers a great, sparkling Mark Knopfler type tone

Indeed. This was the channel I had used and totally felt a similar vibe.
strumminsix

Postby hogan » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:44 pm

Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby caspersvapors » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:55 pm

thanks for the input guys

i see they just came out with a 22w version based on a deluxe reverb. anybody played it?
caspersvapors

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion