Smaller rig for smaller shows

Chat about Equipment Info

Smaller rig for smaller shows

Postby Counterstriker » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:04 pm

So I'm thinking about getting a smaller rig together for the smaller shows we have,..instead of lugging the twin and 2x12 which takes up a good amount of space and is just to loud for alot of scenarios. I bought a H&K preamp (same kind JK uses with furthur) off craigslist,I love his tone with furthur! I need to buy a power amp though.. I know nothing about poweramps so please help me with that.. I'm gonna be using a Weber 10" neomag as my speaker through a 1x10 speaker cab - chances are I'm gonna be using the H&K through my 2x12 so I'll need a power amp that can drive that too!

As far as power amps go.. what should I be looking at. No real budget. nothing ridiculous though!
Counterstriker

Re: Smaller rig for smaller shows

Postby strumminsix » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:08 pm

Have you thought of a 2x12 on it's side? By the time you add a rack you are already the same size on the floor.
strumminsix

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:20 pm

I am using a Fender Gdec 30 which can be also plugged DI out Digital stereo into a small mixer or house system. As a stand alone amp it has a loud as hell 10" speaker, every modeled tone you could ever want and a lot of tweaking power. I also can run it into a MC50 then into a 2x10 K110 cab which is a whole other world of tones and presets for that. But anyway, your ordeal, get you an MC50 or something along that line and run it into the 1x10. You may want to consider going into 2x10 or just buy a 1x10 combo amp and save the H&k for your big rig.

I love that Gdec more than anything, it has much promise worked into my big rig so far, and all the other ways I can think of working it with other cabs and amps. It also is loud as hell as a 1x10 combo and sounds great through small FR systems for coffee houses and such. the website has a bunch of patches you can share and download and all kinds of practice tracks to jam too to hone your skills. Its like a por mans ax or 11 rack, but those are actually optimized for big sound. $399 all day at your local Fender dealer.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:26 pm

... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby strumminsix » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:29 pm

Honestly, if you want a small rig a Pro Jr or mod'd Blues Jr would fit the bill.
strumminsix

Postby Counterstriker » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:46 pm

True true.. I'm not going for a straight jerry tone though.

what floor reverb pedal would you guys say is the best?
Counterstriker

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:03 pm

This is what I used to use.
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:55 pm

If you are use to tubes, I would stay along those lines. I think Brad has mentioned using a small Fender tube amp along the lines of 30 watts and can really get the job done, along with Strummin too. Some people don't like the SS sound, it can be less forgiving dynamically, especially the newer digital modeling. Many will try them and say, "What the hell, this is horrible."

There are a few here on the board I have stayed in touch with that use the Gdec and digital modeling successfully for a small rig even a stage rig with great results. Tube amps are much more smooth and by many, preferred in terms of tone.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Counterstriker » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:27 pm

I mean I already have this pre amp, I do like the tone! I''ll get some audio clips of it.

I do have a question it might not be the smartest.. but Since I'm not investing in a rack mounted reverb unit just yet.. (buying the poweamp first) Would it be possible to run the signal like this - Preamp > Reverb pedal > poweramp ?

or would it have to go first?
Counterstriker

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:38 pm

Counterstriker wrote:I mean I already have this pre amp, I do like the tone! I''ll get some audio clips of it.

I do have a question it might not be the smartest.. but Since I'm not investing in a rack mounted reverb unit just yet.. (buying the poweamp first) Would it be possible to run the signal like this - Preamp > Reverb pedal > poweramp ?

or would it have to go first?

You won't hurt anything by trying it both ways. Ideally it would go after preamp, but it's possible that input/output impedance mismatches could create unwanted distortion.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby strumminsix » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:10 am

I'm lost. This thread is about a smaller footprint on stage yes?

And to get this you are adding a rack which is already larger than a Twin on it's side?
strumminsix

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:55 am

But a Twin turned up to it's sweet spot is loud enough to blow away even a medium-sized bar.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby strumminsix » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:04 am

Rusty the Scoob wrote:But a Twin turned up to it's sweet spot is loud enough to blow away even a medium-sized bar.

Agreed, but I don't see how a rack is smaller. Unless the OP is really asking for a quieter rig not smaller rig.
strumminsix

Postby playingdead » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:37 am

Assuming you don't want to live with just two digital rack spaces (like me :shock: ) ... here's what I would consider doing.

The H&K is a half-space unit, right? So take that, and get yourself one of the small Class D heads that you can tap into the power amp of through the effects loop (I used an Acoustic Image Focus 2R but I also have a Genz-Benz Shuttle, which is actually a 600-watt bass head that I tried out with my old JBL cabinet, and it sounded great, too). These little heads weigh about 6 pounds and are about the size of a book. Now you have your preamp and power amp in a tiny, lightweight compact package with a ton of power available -- more than enough to run the 2X12 very loud, I did that for years with the Focus). Plus, if the H&K goes down, you still have the preamp portion of your "power amp" to use as a backup. (If the power amp goes down, keep a Crate PowerBlock in your car, I still carry one.)

Then take your JBLs out of your cabinet or Twin and build two identical 1X12 open back cabinets. For your small gigs, you take just one of the 1X12s, the new head and power amp, and you have a tiny rig that will blow your ears out if you want it to. Stick the 1X12 on a milk crate and stack the preamp and power amp on top of it. Big gig, add the second 1X12 and you're at full power with only one more thing to carry.

Get one of the newer Holy Grail reverbs and you will be happy enough. Run the reverb in parallel if you get a two channel power amp, it will sound cleaner that way (take one preamp output and plug into channel A of the power amp, take the second preamp output, run it into the reverb at 100 percent wet, then run the reverb into channel B of the power amp and turn it up to taste. (Both the Focus and the Shuttle allowed me to do that.)
playingdead

Postby jeffm725 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:45 am

I just picked up a holy grail Nano. 100 bucks and change brand new, small footprint (size of a D+) dead simple( only one knob for reverb level and one toggle switch for hall or spring) runs on a standard boss/ibamez/maxon 9V power (unlike most EH pedals) so you can use pedalboard power or bricks for it.

Sounds great!
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion